Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublinbikes OR fold up bike?

Options
  • 02-01-2018 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

In the next month or so I'll be starting a commute to Heuston station and then onto Stephens Green/Kildare St.

I'm in two minds whether to commit to the dublinbike option as it looks very cost effective as all my trips will be less than 30 mins from Heuston to city centre.

However, I'm concerned bays will be empty/full at pick up and drop off peak times - is this an issue?

Also is there much of a queue in the mornings at Heuston when grabbing a bike (I'd be arriving around the 7.50 area).

Would a fold up bike be a bit quicker overall, no waiting in a queue, no potential of being out of bikes, no issue of a dublinbike bay being 5/10 mins walk from workplace?

But - is a foldup bike inconvenient? Less sturdy? Prone to punctures etc.?

All very new to me..... Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buy a cheap bike and leave it at Heuston with a decent lock?

I saw a site some time back that tracked the usage levels of different DB stations, but I can't remember where I saw it - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've cancelled my Dublin bike account in the last couple of days.
    I was an infrequent user, I join years back when it was only €10 then €20 now €25.
    Bikes were never available (for me) at peak times which results in walking so what was the point in having it for the extra rare occasions I'd be using it off peak.

But I hate when people bring bikes onto the train even if they're fold ups, they still take up the same floor space as two adults.

Get the luas it's cheaper when you use multiple modes of transport.

Phil.x wrote: »

Get the luas it's cheaper when you use multiple modes of transport.

The Luas is very busy at Heuston and I'd say it's very busy at Marlboro in the mornings too. Half an hour on the Luas vs. < 15 mins on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

From observations being in those areas of the city at these times

If you were to cycle then the fold up bike to bring with you would be a much better option. As above , Dublin bike availablity and so on is an issue.

One other thing is I'm not sure if you would consider, would walking be an option ?

I used to a few years ago get the train to/from heuston and I worked in the south city, south William Street and I found the easiest for my was to just walk from heuston up and it took about 20 mins to do so.

The bus just sat in traffic so gave that a miss, the luas would be rammed with the crowds coming from the trains so gave that a miss,

I didn't feel comfortable cycling in the city with traffic and roads then (4 years ago) and even more so not now !

But I suppose I prefer walk as a mode of transportation that I don't use often enough but did find it nice to walk the city at these times with no stress from either being in the car or playing with traffic on the cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

loyatemu wrote: »
    The Luas is very busy at Heuston and I'd say it's very busy at Marlboro in the mornings too. Half an hour on the Luas vs. < 15 mins on the bike.

Also DB route 145

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

My only advice would be if going for a fold up bike get the best you can afford.

A Dahon or Brompton for example.

I had a number of cheap ones (for campervan) and they very quickly became cumbersome to fold and unfold with poorly made linkages and other low quality components.

Buy cheap. Buy twice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Decathlon.co.uk Belfast do reasonable budget fold ups if you as an alternative to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

buy a cheap bike and leave it at Heuston with a decent lock?

I agree with this, you can buy a bike for less than 100 euro, buy a Decent D lock and leave it in the bike sheds in Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

A foldup would be a great investment. I agree with @seaswimmer, get a good quality foldup like a Brompton. A friend bought one and I was amazed with how light and fast it was.
    It should last you for years and only takes up as much space as a large briefcase, nowhere near as much as another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

conor2469 wrote: »
    I agree with this, you can buy a bike for less than 100 euro, buy a Decent D lock and leave it in the bike sheds in Heuston.

+1, its much better than lugging a folding bike around or hoping there is always a Dublin Bike available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also DB route 145

Steamy windows, one door entry/exit and stationary traffic. Not the things I look forward to when I revisit Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The trains are so packed these days that the larger folding bikes aren't really an option at peak. A Brompton is really the only folding bike that works on a really packed train.

I've a slightly larger one (not a brompton) and it fits behind the last seats, or on the luaggage rack at the door. But its almost impossible to carry through all the people standing in the doorway passage. So I avoid peak, or just don't bring it at peak.

Alternatively lots of bikes parked at Hueston.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/2396458428
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0b/83/68/0b8368b5c9bdeca59ed9e3226a4205b0--used-lockers-bike-locker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Thanks for all the great advice folks. I was completely unaware of the bike sheds in Heuston. I think getting an 80 quid second hand bike and a pair of locks is the best option.

The one advantage of the folding bike is you save time, getting off the train instead of having to get a bike and lock it. Also you might be able to keep it inside your office.

Disadvantage is its too expensive to lock on the street. I tend to use Dublin Bikes if I need to do that at lunchtimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's a bit of a trek from the bike sheds to exit Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be honest, it's probably worth taking a week or two to suss out the stations you'd be using at either end.

I'd have thought getting a bike at Heuston at that time might be easy enough with 3 stations in such close proximity but I don't know. And there are 3 stations close to Kildare St and another just opposite the luas stop at Stephen's Green so it might be grand. But worth taking a week or two to check trends at the tines you need

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you did get stuck without a Dublin bike the odd time it's only a 30 minute or walk (3km) from Heuston to the middle of Kildare St so that's an option too (or the 145/Luas option as a backup also)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's a station I've used just past the Museum luas stop as well that I've had to use on occasion.

But it really depends on whether or not the stations tend to be full/empty when you need them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

My answer as a cycle technician would be; the people telling you to get a cheap bike and leave it locked up at the bike sheds have never owned a good quality folding bike - which I would say is the only way to go.

Leaving a cheap quality bike in the elements at Heuston station and presumably outside locked up near your place of work will destroy the bike within months, if that. That's before you contemplate vandalism, and theft/attempted theft. Even attempted theft would leave the bike most likely in an uneconomical state to repair (and yes they will steal parts that cant be locked such as the saddle etc and you'll probably see some slashed tyres at some point).

The folding bike however can be kept indoors when not in use and in good working condition - you'll have it on your days off to take it to be serviced etc - this will be FAR more reliable and fun/easier to use than the cheap bike.

The hire bikes also wont give you the reliability you are after - number one their riders aren't the most fussiest of caring for them thus you may get a dud bike every now and then and two will there even be bikes available in peak time ready to use? (I've worked for a bike hire company and I've seen bikes with huge amounts of damage coming back like shredded tyres and 90 degree bent derailleurs even with customers having deposits on them).

A folding bike, YOUR folding bike as apposed to everybodies, will always be the most reliable option in any case of the above if well maintained.

You'll know it is safe, untampered with and well looked after.

Plus you can use it on your days off out of town!

You're missing the problems of folding bike, and the advantages of a cheap bike.

I often have a folding bike with me at work, (well not lately as there is no room on the train for the folding bike). But I will still use a hire bike to go somewhere city centre at lunchtime, if I have to park it on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I saw a site some time back that tracked the usage levels of different DB stations, but I can't remember where I saw it - anyone?

http://dublinbikes2go.com/stats

red line is usage today, grey is monthly average
    its a mobile site so may look a bit weird on a desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I kept an old mtb locked at heuston for a long time, it's a bit of a walk to and from the bike shed which might be a nuisance depending on what train you get. In the end, even with antitheft wheels/seat bolt and a motor bike chain, a bike thief damaged the wheel and fork trying to steal it.

There are more secure bike lockers down by the bike shed (not the temporary ones by platform 6)that are available for rent if you wanted to keep a bike out of sight/weather, I didn't go down that road.

I got a folding bike with the cycle to work scheme in the end, I went for 3 speed Brompton which is working out well, goes in under the desk at work. I've seen some giant halfway folders that look good also bigger wheels but a bigger folded size to match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Nisio wrote: »
    I've seen some giant halfway folders that look good also bugger wheels but a bigger folded size to match

I have the Giant bike, it’s decent bit of kit in fairness. Bromton are brilliant but there’s a big difference in price! It is bigger than the Brompton and I am mindful of that when I’m on full trains.

I bought the bike because I could rarely get a Dublin Bike in the evening when I really wanted it.

In general I find the foldup bike gives me great flexibility. I use the Docklands station so in the evening I can cycle all the way to the door of the station. However, the problem I have is that my train service regularly uses intercity carriages meaning the train is overcrowded when I arrive at the station and there is simply no room for the bike. Very frustrating!

Same here, I've mainly stopping using the folding bike for that reason. As the overcrowding has spread to off peak trains now. Again as you say the intercity carriage are just less suited to it. Which is ironic as they are the ones with an actual bike rack, but a badly designed one.

Also work has stopped allowing me bringing the bike into the office. They want the bike in bike cage in the car park which has already been robbed and theres nothing to lock the bike too in the cage. Also takes a good 10 mins extra each way.

I may consider a brompton and a cover so people don't realise it's a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Where are you coming from?
    I ask because a lot of people are unaware that there are now trains from some of the Heuston lines to Connolly & pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

matc66 wrote: »
    A foldup would be a great investment. I agree with @seaswimmer, get a good quality foldup like a Brompton. A friend bought one and I was amazed with how light and fast it was.
    It should last you for years and only takes up as much space as a large briefcase, nowhere near as much as another person.

This thing takes up the space of two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Does that model have a battery/motor on it? Al the Bromptons I’ve seen very small and are nearly the same size as an old style briefcase

My bike (the Giant model) is bigger than the Brompton and to be honest the space shouldn’t be an issue on a commuter train where there is plenty of standing room. If our rail service was up to scratch additional standing room for one/two people wouldn’t be an issue. A quick look at Irish Rails twitter page shows that they acknowledge capacity shortages across their fleet.

It’s a very different issue on a severely overcrowded Intercity carriage though.

Foldup bikes and trains should be seen as a positive approach to commuting.

That's not a brompton. That some electric bike thingy. That's the problem with cheaper models they do no fold well.

Isn't it bad that people standing nose to nose almost standing in each others feet is normal on our trains.

I've been asked to move my bike out of the wheel chair space and on to the luggage rack, or bike rack by the driver. Even though it's OK for twenty people to stand there, and in 3yrs I've never seen a wheelchair user in that space. Not that I mind moving, but you have to find the rack that people aren't standing in.

I end up standing with my bike folded on the flexible section between trains a lot, which throws the bike all over the place.

I have a picture of mine behind the seats in quieter times. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Just back from Paris and a lot of business commuters using these one wheel.electric scooter thingies, looked amazing and this was on old cobbled roads
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=electric+unicycle&rh=i:aps,k:electric+unicycle&linkCode=sl2&tag=authentech17-20&linkId=4a34e001cc85d098be72a75a77da4914

• Advertisement

tringle wrote: »
    Just back from Paris and a lot of business commuters using these one wheel.electric scooter thingies, looked amazing and this was on old cobbled roads
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=electric+unicycle&rh=i:aps,k:electric+unicycle&linkCode=sl2&tag=authentech17-20&linkId=4a34e001cc85d098be72a75a77da4914

I've seen the odd person using those in Dublin, the problem is they're not really practical on a busy footpath and you couldn't ride one on any road that had significant traffic on it (you'd be in everyone's way). I saw someone on one recently on the Grand Canal cycle path which is probably fine.

Advertisement