Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty free cigarettes on sale on moore st

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

Snotty wrote: »
    They turn a blind eye to a lot worse crimes than illegal cigarettes.
    The only victims are the state coffers so I can't see the guards being overly bothered.

Do you not think container loads of cigarettes coming into the likes of Dublin Port are not being funded by serious organised crime? Apparently gangs have moved from drugs to cigarettes, as cigs are highly profitable and the prison sentences are a lot lighter

Do you think Revenue should have turned a blind eye to diesel laundering by allegedly carried out by the IRA as there was more serious things to focus on?

I would hazard a guess that Rita selling counterfeit cigs on Moore St is on the scratcher too.

A packet of cigarettes is about 75-80% tax. It is costing the taxpayer a fortune between lost tax revenue and the scumbags selling it likely on welfare(I doubt someone is giving up potential paid employment to sell cigarettes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I can't walk down moore st street without being offered duty free cigarettes and I don't even smoke.

I wonder why the authorities don't clamp down on this of activity ?

Have those in power being paid off to turn a blind eye to the illegal sale of duty free cigarettes ?

Believe it or not but a lot of action is taken. It’s ultimately pointless tho because when the sellers go to court the maximum fine they get is a couple of hundred euro. The same applies to the people caught bringing them in from abroad, it’s worth the risk to them of having 5 people bringing them in with the knowledge that if one person is caught it’s only a few hundred euro they are down and they will make that back in an hour on Moore street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

wawaman wrote: »
    Believe it or not but a lot of action is taken. It’s ultimately pointless tho because when the sellers go to court the maximum fine they get is a couple of hundred euro. The same applies to the people caught bringing them in from abroad, it’s worth the risk to them of having 5 people bringing them in with the knowledge that if one person is caught it’s only a few hundred euro they are down and they will make that back in an hour on Moore street.

If this is the case then the Guards and Revenue should seek to have the fines increased. It drives me crazy that people know what the problems are, but don't apply pressure to change the system. At the very least they should speak up to get media to put the pressure on politicians to sort it.

I can think of some analogy whereby we can imagine how long Holland would have lasted if every Dutch person who spotted a leak in a dyke just shrugged and went on their way (I don't really know if dykes spring leaks).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

boombang wrote: »
    If this is the case then the Guards and Revenue should seek to have the fines increased. It drives me crazy that people know what the problems are, but don't apply pressure to change the system. At the very least they should speak up to get media to put the pressure on politicians to sort it.

I can think of some analogy whereby we can imagine how long Holland would have lasted if every Dutch person who spotted a leak in a dyke just shrugged and went on their way (I don't really know if dykes spring leaks).

I know some dykes who spring leaks and the ain't Dutch either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There used to be a coterie of older ladies plying their wares in this endeavor at the ILAC entrance on Moore Street.

I recently entered the ILAC by this door and was struck by a younger man with great diction offering the same service.

I was struck by that.

Its not exactly the problem of our age OP but is wrong on many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

boombang wrote: »
    I think the situation is embarrassing. It shows the authorities can't implement the law and it panders to criminals.

Regarding the Henry Street stalls: there's been a while thread on those.

Just realised, I started that thread 2 years ago. I guess I really don't like those stalls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Wait until the op finds out what's for sale on Meath Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

myshirt wrote: »
    Wait until the op finds out what's for sale on Meath Street!

?

you have to tell us now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The genuine black maket cigarettes are “da illegals”
    The fake made in some third world back street factory are “da illegal illegals.”

Was all explained by man of the people Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

imme wrote: »
    ?

you have to tell us now

"Head shop" drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I’ve seen revenue or customs I can’t rememeber which one, in moore st a few times. They wear high vis vests when they are down there so the sellers just move away and return when they go

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

the problem which needs to be addressed is the extortionate price of cigarettes/tobacco.
    you can either go and pay around 17 euro for 30g of tobacco in the shops OR you can get a 50g pack for nearly a fiver less in the likes of moore st.
    if youre on a budget and the 'fake' ones taste fine then its a no-brainer. im sure a lot people would rather buy them at the shops if they werent so expensive, much more convenient too depending on where youre living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Why don't they just dock their dole for a year or so? Same if you're selling knock offs. Or maybe that would just people commit more crimes like this. It's kind of annoying that some people are above the law though.

You've proof of course these people are on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Duty Free is one way of describing them. I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You've proof of course these people are on the dole?

Oh will you just give it over seriously

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The government created a very lucrative market for fake cigs by raising the tax to stupidly high levels.
    This will have several knock-on effects.

- Less tax take for the state coffers, since certainly no duty or tax is paid on these
    - More expenses for the health service which won't be covered by above tax takes
    - More long term illness and deaths caused by those cancer sticks
    - Millions needing to be pumped into border security and policing to combat smuggling and criminal gangs
    - The rise of immensly rich and powerful gangs
    - More gang violence and the inevitable fallout as the odd innocent bystander gets either hit by stray bullets or killed by mistake.

The problem is that the Irish government is incapable of coming up with other solutions than tax and ban. When those don't work, just repeat until they do work. Which they won't. Then stand around, wring their hands and say "Why isn't this working?!" Then rinse and repeat.
    So when finally the state is under siege from crime gangs more powerful than it's own enforcement agencies, when the health service is under severe pressure, when gangs run riot and normal, everyday anti-social behaviour by scumbags is all but ignored by the police and the billions spent on useless enforcement, border control and a failing health service are not even nearly enough, one could only hope that the governemnt will see how utterly wrong and shambolic their approach is, but I suspect they will rather ban smoking in even more places and increase the price of a packet of fags to €20.
    They will then stand around, wring theirhands and say "Why isn't this working?!" Then rinse and repeat...

Of course when this is pointed out, there will be a lot of huffing and puffing, folded arms, pointed fngers and references to internation studies, consultant's reports and "international best practice". The problem is that politicians see U-turns as signs of weakness. So you MUST prevail with the current course, even if it is wrong, idiotic, useless and even more damaging than doing anything else or even nothing.
    For this post I am neither pro nor anti smoking. I stopped smoking myself and I certainly think that not smoking is better than smoking. :)
    But berating people, taxing them to the hilt and parading smug assholes such as Luke Clancy to belittle and ridicule smokers is certainly not helpful.
    In fact it contributed to me smoking for at least 5 years longer than I otherwise had. And I was proud of the fact that I bought all my tobacco abroad for very little money and the Irish exchequer gained nothing from me. But it was all technically legal and above board.
    But one would have to be pretty desperate to smoke fake Chinese fags.

So you smoked for 5 years just to spite some people? That's clever.

What other solution would you put in place that has had lots of success elsewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

5starpool wrote: »
    So you smoked for 5 years just to spite some people? That's clever.

What other solution would you put in place that has had lots of success elsewhere?

Quite honestly a health warning should be put on people like Luke Clancy, this man can give you ear cancer.
    Along the same lines is Grainne Condon if anyone remembers her. You'd need a joint after listening to her for 5 minutes.
    Getting rid of smug assholes on the anti smoking side would be a good start. And I say this as an ex smoker.
    Just picture a vegan preaching at you every day that meat is murder and we are savages for eating burgers and bacon. Grating people's nerves is certainly not a great strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Dont smoke. STFU

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Quite honestly a health warning should be put on people like Luke Clancy, this man can give you ear cancer.
    Along the same lines is Grainne Condon if anyone remembers her. You'd need a joint after listening to her for 5 minutes.
    Getting rid of smug assholes on the anti smoking side would be a good start. And I say this as an ex smoker.
    Just picture a vegan preaching at you every day that meat is murder and we are savages for eating burgers and bacon. Grating people's nerves is certainly not a great strategy.

That doesn't answer anything. I have no idea who those people are, so it is very easy to avoid them it seems, but to spite them (without them knowing or caring about you specifically) is a silly reason to smoke when you'd otherwise give them up as you said.

I'd like to hear your ideas for better systems which would work in tandem with making prices cheaper for people.

I am not saying this should be done, but I don't get why governments who say they don't want people to smoke at all don't just ban cigarettes entirely? Yes, they don't want to lose tax revenue, blah, blah, blah, but given the aims of having no one smoke (unrealistic) surely the best way to do that is to ban them?

Illegal smuggling will increase, yes, but this isn't a reason, it is a consequence. Government policy should be that they don't care who smokes, bu they are going to charge them excessively for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Luke and Grainne were around quite a while ago.
    I'm pointing out the effects of current government policy and pricing of cigarettes. Can't give you any more than that. And as laid out, the policy can't be reversed even if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

KungPao wrote: »
    The Man wants the poor to die quicker. Dodgy cigs made primarily of arsenic, asbestos and diesel, and with pretend filters is a good way to do it.

Same with this minimum alcohol rubbish. The poverty stricken will be homemaking poison and keel over in no time.

Get that SW bill down.

Why would you go to the costly and time-consuming effort of procuring arsenic, asbestos and diesel to put in cigarettes when simply making regular tobacco cigarettes would be quicker and cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Chrongen wrote: »
    Why would you go to the costly and time-consuming effort of procuring arsenic, asbestos and diesel to put in cigarettes when simply making regular tobacco cigarettes would be quicker and cheaper?

I've no idea, but that poster is quite correct, and it's been proven those cigarettes are filled with such things. They're awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've no idea, but that poster is quite correct, and it's been proven those cigarettes are filled with such things. They're awful.
    I heard theyre mixing AIDS with tobacco

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

imme wrote: »
    ?

you have to tell us now

Ah just trainers, tracksuits, watches, makeup, all fake. Roaring trade up there. My son got a nice pair of Nike Air 90 classics for 40 euro and a couple of Gucci t-shirts, pair of Yeezys, nothing wrong with the shoes, I was very impressed for 40 euro, though the real ones definitely are more sturdy.

Of all things, I met the Gardai there and they were giving out about my parking. Nothing was said to the people selling the counterfeit merchandise. I don't know what it is, maybe bigger fish to fry. I'm not complaining or anything, I had double parked, Ill hold my hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Best to stay away from the fakes tho.
    Said this on boards before but quite a few years ago I was smoking fake john player blue and I started feeling weird.
    Had quite a few of them that day so I got up and started doing the dishes at the kitchen sink and I turned around to walk away then looked at my feet and I was out of it... body just shut down and fell backwards like a ton of bricks. A miracle I didn't hit my head off the tiled floor.
    I got up and started to really sweat. Managed to walk up stairs and climb into bed. Was ok after about 20 minutes tho.

It's one thing to smoke genuine cigarettes but never ever go near the fake ones. Those packs had two tell-tale signs tho to let you know they were fake. Overall the box was great quality but the Irish stamp piece of paper on the back wasn't printed with the same quality and would easily rip off compared to the real deal. Also those cigarettes would crackle. By that I mean as they burned down something inside them would make a noise. Like something that shouldn't be in them would crackle and pop.

Advertisement