Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So somebody is 38mill richer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

dem bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes

The Village Shop

And the Village Shop will get a nice cheque of €26,000 for selling the winning ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So the village people can have a party and stay at the Y M C A and sing.

greasepalm wrote: »
    So the village people can have a party and stay at the Y M C A and sing.

I love a happy ending

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

easy numbers 4-8-22-23-48 and 1-12 now that I know them

Sure weren't they written right there on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That's very true.

And it does depend on your lifestyle. I already have the capacity to save 600+ a month, if I wasn't paying rent that would be a grand and 12,000 a year more spending money than I have now, because I wouldn't be saving for a house, and I'd have a couple hundred thousand left over from the 1 mill. Plus I don't have/want kids, so that money would all be for me and my partner. So yep, lifestyle dependent, but my lifestyle doesn't require too much, ergo I would feel loaded with that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

_Roz_ wrote: »
    That's very true.

And it does depend on your lifestyle. I already have the capacity to save 600+ a month, if I wasn't paying rent that would be a grand and 12,000 a year more spending money than I have now, because I wouldn't be saving for a house, and I'd have a couple hundred thousand left over from the 1 mill. Plus I don't have/want kids, so that money would all be for me and my partner. So yep, lifestyle dependent, but my lifestyle doesn't require too much, ergo I would feel loaded with that kind of money.
    A million would be loads for us too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

€1 million would clear the mortgage, allow for some home improvements, some gifts for the family, maybe a new car and a holiday or two, with a little left to invest. And that would be it. Saying that, it would make one's approach to "working" a bit different, in that you could perhaps focus on doing something you enjoyed more, almost as a hobby, just making enough money to cover bills and food.

€38 million however, while I'd love to have that resting in my bank account, is rather a lot more. Think about it, if you had 20 million less you'd still be richer than most of the people on earth. So you could either a) become a millionaire playboy/girl, with apartments around the world and yachts / super cars / private jets, or b) give most of it away and have enough to ensure that you have a great lifestyle and you never have to work again, or even just keep a modest amount and continue to work (as per the paragraph above) in some capacity.

Me, I'd fall somewhere between the two. While I'd love to have a fleet of super cars in the stable of my country estate just outside Monte Carlo, with my super yacht moored in a prime position to watch the Monaco grand prix, I would most likely give a lot of it away, but also furnish myself with some toys, a couple of houses, and the ability to never have to work a day again. I'd be quite happy with that.

One thing I remember reading what that if you did win a huge amount like that, and wanted to give some to the family, you'd be better off getting everyone to sign the ticket and pretend you are a syndicate. Otherwise most of what you are giving away would be hit by tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

€1 million would clear the mortgage, allow for some home improvements, some gifts for the family, maybe a new car and a holiday or two, with a little left to invest. And that would be it. Saying that, it would make one's approach to "working" a bit different, in that you could perhaps focus on doing something you enjoyed more, almost as a hobby, just making enough money to cover bills and food.

€38 million however, while I'd love to have that resting in my bank account, is rather a lot more. Think about it, if you had 20 million less you'd still be richer than most of the people on earth. So you could either a) become a millionaire playboy/girl, with apartments around the world and yachts / super cars / private jets, or b) give most of it away and have enough to ensure that you have a great lifestyle and you never have to work again, or even just keep a modest amount and continue to work (as per the paragraph above) in some capacity.

Me, I'd fall somewhere between the two. While I'd love to have a fleet of super cars in the stable of my country estate just outside Monte Carlo, with my super yacht moored in a prime position to watch the Monaco grand prix, I would most likely give a lot of it away, but also furnish myself with some toys, a couple of houses, and the ability to never have to work a day again. I'd be quite happy with that.

One thing I remember reading what that if you did win a huge amount like that, and wanted to give some to the family, you'd be better off getting everyone to sign the ticket and pretend you are a syndicate. Otherwise most of what you are giving away would be hit by tax.

38M isn't really "fleet of supercars and superyacht in monaco" money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Best of luck to them with it!

Don't you think the bastards have had enough luck? Why wish them more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd be the same as you. More than content with a main family home that's big enough for expanding family (we have two kids and will have more) with enough land to fence in tidily for our absolute nutcase dog and some new rescued friends for him :D
    I'd probably buy a nice villa/apartment somewhere sunny for holidays, get two new cars, go abroad on a cracking holiday and then spoil the family and friends. There's quite a few gorgeous 5-bed houses in my area for under 300k, so evening winning a million would be enough to get me all of the above and have money left over!

_Roz_ wrote: »
    I wish they'd cap winnings at like 5 mill. Nobody needs 38 mill, and you could set 7-38 people up for life with that. If I won a million, I'd buy a house. Right there, biggest expenditure of my life cleared. I'd have to keep working, but I'd be loaded forever off what I earned - it would make life so much easier.

A million is fcuk all these days. So you'd buy a poxy house.....whoopee. You'd still have to get up every morning and go work for some dick. Did you ever wish that you didn't have to work for some tosser and could get up whenever you wanted and go travel the world for a hobby? Because a million won't get you far.

38M isn't really "fleet of supercars and superyacht in monaco" money.

It would be if you invested aggressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you want your country estate just outside Monaco, you then realised that you have to maintain the estate. You have the cleaner, the gardener, the caretaker etc. All costing roughly 25k each. Then you have the added costs of employment, social insurance, pensions etc. But before all that, you realize that because you live in the countryside, people cannot commute to the job. So they either have to live in or you have to arrange transport for them. Suddenly you need a driver and huge insurance for that driver. And if you decide for the live in option, you're gonna need some more insurance for that.

That's all before we talk about an accountant, lawyer, financial advisor, HR advisor. Being rich is expensive.

If you want your country estate just outside Monaco, you then realised that you have to maintain the estate. You have the cleaner, the gardener, the caretaker etc. All costing roughly 25k each. Then you have the added costs of employment, social insurance, pensions etc. But before all that, you realize that because you live in the countryside, people cannot commute to the job. So they either have to live in or you have to arrange transport for them. Suddenly you need a driver and huge insurance for that driver. And if you decide for the live in option, you're gonna need some more insurance for that.

That's all before we talk about an accountant, lawyer, financial advisor, HR advisor. Being rich is expensive.

Well you wouldn't just leave your 38 million in the bank. You'd invest it, you'd have financial advisors (I think the National Lottery actually make you meet with an FA when you win large amounts). So your 38 million would earn you more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Well you wouldn't just leave your 38 million in the bank. You'd invest it, you'd have financial advisors (I think the National Lottery actually make you meet with an FA when you win large amounts). So your 38 million would earn you more money.

I'm not sure what Woody Allen film it was but I remember a character describing his job as a financial adviser as: "advising people how to invest their money until there's none left".

I would love if someone gathered all the Lotto stories together so we could see how badly most people managed / mismanaged their windfall. I know at least three winners locally, two of whom were dead of heart attacks by middle age and the third, a fella I went to school with, was such a dope God love him, no amount of money would ever make be envious of him but he seems to have stayed on the rails in fairness.

When people who aren't used to having money win the lotto, they tend to spend it in a not-too-wise-fashion. Houses, cars, holidays, gambling... these things are recipes for disaster and the quickest way to eat up all your money. Plus the ones that go public have to deal with all the hand-outs that everyone from family members to "old school friends" feel that they are entitled to. Families can break apart due to these sudden pressures, if the right advice and consultation isn't available.

I'd be interested in hearing stories from lottery winners who were wise with their money, what they did (or didn't do) with it, and what kind of lifestyle they lead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Chrongen wrote: »
    Don't you think the bastards have had enough luck? Why wish them more?

This might be hard to believe for some, but I knew an accountant (actually he lives in Malahide) and he dealt with a lot of people who won the lottery or came in to large inheritances - he told me in ALL cases - it was the kiss of death.

One case a woman won the Irish lottery (~1M) and was terrified it would destroy the family so told no one.
    Meanwhile the husband still breaking his back working, and this was 10 years later - and now she was doubly terrified to tell them as she had allready kept it hidden.

I like to think I would have the maturity and cop on to be wise if I came into that kind of money suddenly, but it does make you think.

Chrongen wrote: »
    A million is fcuk all these days. So you'd buy a poxy house.....whoopee. You'd still have to get up every morning and go work for some dick. Did you ever wish that you didn't have to work for some tosser and could get up whenever you wanted and go travel the world for a hobby? Because a million won't get you far.

I love my job and my manager and director are awesome. I enjoy working here. My point was more that a million would set me up for a financially stress-free life, while I continue to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Genuinely don't even know how that's possible, I do not envy you. At 30 I've only just managed to get myself financially stable enough to pay for a 5000 euro masters for myself. That's the end of it then at least - partner didn't go to college and as I said, no kids planned. Whatever about the lottery, there's no way we'd survive in America, specially with kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

This might be hard to believe for some, but I knew an accountant (actually he lives in Malahide) and he dealt with a lot of people who won the lottery or came in to large inheritances - he told me in ALL cases - it was the kiss of death.

One case a woman won the Irish lottery (~1M) and was terrified it would destroy the family so told no one.
    Meanwhile the husband still breaking his back working, and this was 10 years later - and now she was doubly terrified to tell them as she had allready kept it hidden.

I like to think I would have the maturity and cop on to be wise if I came into that kind of money suddenly, but it does make you think.

Wouldn't it make you wonder why such people do the lotto at all? To be worried that much, and to be stressed about it.

If I won a plain old million I'd be looking at replacing current income in so far as possible with a diversified mix (up to 30) of classic blue chip stocks that pay annually rising dividends. I wouldn't care less about what the underlying stock price does so long as the dividend keeps getting paid, any murmurings of a future cut and the underlying stock get's sold (hellllllooooo General Electric!). With a million, you'd be looking at taking in 30k gross on a million.

Tax on that and we'd be looking at a guesstimate of circa €1,750 per month. There would be a million invested and working to generate a second income so to speak. I'd still work but would have some financial security. I'd be keeping the mortgage and pay it as normal. The dividend income would be increasing annually (an average 10% conservative increase wouldn't be unexpected) so personally I'd be looking at retiring in 15 years. I wouldn't tell anyone beyond my wife of such a win. The key thing though would be that the dividends would be reinvested for more shares to accelerate the income. To perhaps save some tax I'd be looking to speak with a tax advisor to see how more efficient such a plan could be with tax free pension accounts if possible.

With a win of 5 million and over then that's a different ball game. Repeat the above for security but there would be the option to retire immediately as current income could easily be replaced. It would be days of sun, sea and sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

valoren wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make you wonder why such people do the lotto at all? To be worried that much, and to be stressed about it.

If I won a plain old million I'd be looking at replacing current income in so far as possible with a diversified mix (up to 30) of classic blue chip stocks that pay annually rising dividends. I wouldn't care less about what the underlying stock price does so long as the dividend keeps getting paid (hellllllooooo General Electric!), any murmurings of a future cut and the underlying stock get's sold. With a million, you'd be looking at taking in 30k gross on a million.

No such thing as a sure thing. :D

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dividend-cut-reveals-depression-in-fortunes-at-general-electric-lf65m9cz9

I think the stress would be caused by people who generally haven't had to make big decisions in their lives and are suddenly getting pulled in every direction by family and 'financial advisors'. The best advice the Lotto give is 'do nothing for a long time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If I won anything from 1 million to 50million

Shove your financial advisor up your hole

1 million )

I'm going out , buying a house in full ! No loan of any description or the likes so that it is owned by me and all its contents etc with all taxes and fees paid.

New car fully paid

Continue working away only having to worry about the odd bills and live comfortably.

50 million)

Very same as above except I'll have plenty of change so the difference

Slightly bigger more expensive house in a nicer area.

The odd holiday more

But also look after the brothers / sisters mortgages and an odd cars for them as gifts.

I wouldn't go investing this and that on the off chance it all goes tits up.

Essentially I'd be living normally enough working and paying for things with plenty of change for the odd thing but would keep it all under control as not to get into difficulty.

Of course stay unknown to the public too

I do agree with others , 1 million is nothing in todays world, it's not a free for life card and nothing to go shouting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Id love to burn like a million quid if I had that much. Seriously. Like the band the K Foundation did. Funniest late late interview ever the band members trying to explain why they did it to a brainless Gaybo.
    I thought their reasoning was sound.

Burning it would give me more satisfaction than buying crap with it.

Dont gimme that crap oh you could house the homeless or feed them. The houses and food already exist!.

As joker said in Batman. "its about sending a message! ".

• Advertisement

I suppose I could set all that up for you. All I'd ask is 3 beers apiece for each of my coworkers. I think a man feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds. That's just my opinion.

Advertisement