Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Haven't gone out for NYE in years. Hardly go out anymore at all anyway.
    We have a renovated shed where we have parties with friends and family, NYE is for the friends night !
    Nothing organized yet though, so if the friends have their own thing planned, we'll probably have a cosy night by the stove on our respective devices. We don't have a telly anymore, well we still have the tv screen, so we could set up RTE player on it for the night, but considering how bad the previous NYE shows were I think we'll just pass on that.
    I miss the French variety/tv bloopers/retrospectives/silly programs on NYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

New Year is the one event in life that I can connect with. Unfortunately the occasion has been hijacked by Christmas, an occasion I have no affinity with at all.

By NYE everyone is wasted, shopped out, spent, and I always feel the whole new year celebrations are never what they should be. I don't mean ppl don't put effort into it , they certainly do, but there is always a weariness about it that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

i'm being bullied into going the NYF dublin, and i'm half dreading it.
    I'd rather be home in the fleeces:(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Couldn't think of a worse night to be out in a bar to be honest. Much prefer to either go to a house party or have friends over to see in the new year.

The very thought of having to battle your way into a full bar, maybe pay an entrance fee for the privilege. Battle your way to the counter to eventually get served, battle your way back only to get your drinks spilt bumping off people who have already had too much to drink, join the long queue for the toilet and then try and find a taxi home afterwards. No thanks, the novelty of that wore off when I was in my 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I'll usher in the New Year in my usual way:
    At midnight I'll strip naked, smear my body with a mixture of honey and toothpaste, then go tramping through the woods playing jaunty tunes on my bagpipes till dawn.
    Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think we've all had enough of xmas now.

NYE is the final night the tree lights in my house. Looking so forrward to throwing it away and taking down all the tacky 80s sh1t decs my partner put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I haven't been out for New Year's Eve in years, there's no appeal whatsoever. I will be at home with my husband and our children.

I will serve up some food and have a few drinks with Mr Est to ring in the New Year. I suppose I enjoy the count down because I feel a sense of renewed hope. I don't care if that seems corny, after the year we have had I hope for a less eventful new year. While 2017 had good points, it's been very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I hate NYE It always seems bizarre to me to cheer a clock. We would usually stay in or go to a house party. We have a 6 week old baby now so I am delighted to have a proper excuse to stay in and be in bed early. If the fireworks wake him I'll go fukkin mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Going to spend it in a country pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I will probably end up staying put. I have thought about going to Sam's on Dawson Street with a group. But thinking about it, the place will be rammed, as is the usual case. That, and the fact that taxis are difficult to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

I'll be working, someone's gotta do those pesky night shifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'll be at home with the girlfriend. Have spent the last few New Years in different pubs and nothing appeals less to me at the minute. Watch a film, ring in 2018 and toddle off to bed. Happy days, my dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    10.....9.......8......F*ck off.

Happy New Drear!

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone who is looking forward to the madness of a crammed bar/pub/club on NYE needs their head examined. I’ve been there and it’s sheer hell. Pretending to enjoy the night but wishing you were somewhere else.

Long in my past now thankfully. I’ll be having a quiet night in, some nibbles, watch Jules Holland’s show on the Beeb as usual and avoid RTE like the plague. The fireworks in London on TV will be as spectacular as ever.

Happy New Year boardsies! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Working just like every other NYE.
    Not bothered in the slightest,Would have went to a relaxed house party or have a few drinks at home if i was off,No way in hell would i go near a pub or nightclub on new years eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Out early evening for a meet up with OH and friends and family, home then about 9, nice food and a few drinks avoiding the mayhem of the pubs tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

working early 2morrow but might try and find a quite pub and have a few. might pre drink a bit at home to get the edge off. might go to the bathroom or leave at the famous midnight (Auld La sang or whatever the hell that song is), can't take sitting there like a pleb when everyone else is kissing and all that lol.

tbh I just want it all to be over and we can get back to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Working 8pm to 8am night shift tonight so I’ll celebrate in work :(

Bottle of vodka, plenty of taytos and a collection of mods for Rimworld I haven't tried yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think New Year died a death the time of the millenium when they tried to charge treble the prices for everything i.e. publicans, hoteliers, taxi firms etc.

They gave the kiss of death to their own businesses on New Year with their greed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Going to head to a friends house first for some cans, hitting the city for fireworks and prosecco at midnight, then stay out and go on the lash till 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Going to my mates house. It's his other halfs birthday tomorrow so we usually roll everything into the one night. Few drinks and some food there, bit of music or Jools Holland in the background, night sorted. No chance of going out to a pub or club and paying €15 or €20 in to be packed in like sardines to then get destroyed by idiots throwing drinks in the air come 12 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

You will owe me a tenner :P

I never said to you ;)

Advertisement