Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I agree there must be a balance struck but people need to be responsible for what they post. There is no way I would put my photo in After Hours for example or disclose my name on a thread.

There's also the issue that for some of posters who've been around a long time, they may have been less conscious of things like that in the past, essentially in a very different era of the internet.

I can see both sides of the argument tbh, but I think it's an option that should be there in some circumstances. I'm happy enough for a thread from five years ago to be harder to follow if it means that people who've been targeted by the likes of voat and have contributed a lot to boards feel better looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    If it's quoted then deleting the post wouldn't be much use. Go to a thread with a few hundred posts and put a few of the top posters on ignore and see how the thread looks... it will make zero sense, it would be unreadable.

You can see my obvious dislike of this suggestion but whatever about my opinion it's something I can never see happening.

If you get doxxed it's likely your fault... the more you post, the more info you give the bigger picture you paint of yourself. If I was to be doxxed I'd have no one to blame but myself. I do have sympathy for those who are doxxed and I've helped posters before as much as I possibly could in giving them a dig out and removing certain posts but the buck stops with the poster themselves IMO

But it would mean that someone couldn't go to someone's profile and trawl through all their posts.

There's also the issue that for some of posters who've been around a long time, they may have been less conscious of things like that in the past, essentially in a very different era of the internet.

I can see both sides of the argument tbh, but I think it's an option that should be there in some circumstances. I'm happy enough for a thread from five years ago to be harder to follow if it means that people who've been targeted by the likes of voat and have contributed a lot to boards feel better looked after.

Just to say I've no issue with people posting images and their private information in fact I've probably "thanked" a few of the posts but if they are then compromised a bit of responsibilty is needed. However I agree that times were different and certainly I was very naive regarding the internet when I joined boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have followed the thread from the start. I am convinced that no form of change will restore the missing 2.5 million posts. The fall is due to new technology, not internal Boards stuff.

But the thread title is far too pessimistic. There is no fear of Boards dying, when we still have something like 8,500 posts every day. I think it is likely to bottom out at around the current figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Can I just say in reply to the Doxxing thing mentioned a little earlier. If at any time you think you may have been doxxed or someone is trying to contact you outside boards please pm a mod with the post in question or better still report the post(all mods of a forum see this). We can then remove any identifying material or the whole post. This is not only applicable to AH by the way.

I personally have removed at least 30-40 posts for people who PM'd me. One guy's posts were from 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    If it's quoted then deleting the post wouldn't be much use. Go to a thread with a few hundred posts and put a few of the top posters on ignore and see how the thread looks... it will make zero sense, it would be unreadable.

You can see my obvious dislike of this suggestion but whatever about my opinion it's something I can never see happening.

If you get doxxed it's likely your fault... the more you post, the more info you give the bigger picture you paint of yourself. If I was to be doxxed I'd have no one to blame but myself. I do have sympathy for those who are doxxed and I've helped posters before as much as I possibly could in giving them a dig out and removing certain posts but the buck stops with the poster themselves IMO

I'd actually like to retract that paragraph on doxxing, the only one to blame for doxxing is the one doing the doxxing. I would advise posters to be aware of what they post to make it as difficult as possible though, and be aware that even that sometimes isn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

If you want to distance yourself... don't post again...it's that simple or at least change your habits....if you keep posting in the seem forums people will know who you are...as you well know.

Eh, don't direct your comment at me, buddy. I wasn't one of the users who wanted usernames wiped on request. That was very obvious from my post. If you're going to respond to a post, read it properly. Don't shoot the messenger.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Beasty wrote: »
    Turning now to some of the specific points raised:
    Post 376 – mods to only be shown as mods in the forums they moderate

+1000, great idea.
    Post 562 – mods should not moderate topics they have a personal interest in.

I am an electrical engineer. If I did not have this "interest" I would not have the technical understanding required to moderate the electrical forum.

However, I think that anyone (not just mods) that can gain financially / commercially from their posts should declare this type of interest. This has caused havoc on the Home Security Systems Forum where in my opinion some posters are commercially aligned with manufacturers and this is influencing they way they post. This, I believe results in certain products being pushed and competitors being undermined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Eh, don't direct your comment at me, buddy. I wasn't one of the users who wanted usernames wiped on request. That was very obvious from my post. If you're going to respond to a post, read it properly. Don't shoot the messenger.

Never said you were...strange

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Discodog wrote: »
    Totally agree. Mods should be told to watch out for this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Hypocritical much? You say that some people should be allowed to have their opinion, but others shouldn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Almost all of the issues in the contentious forums are down to mods being completely inconsistent, both with how they themselves react to 2 identical posts from different posters and also from how they react compared to the other mods of the same forum. The moderation in the football forum is an absolute disgrace to the site. You have mods posting wummy crap and then carding people for doing similar. The definition of "backseat moderation" is also open to interpretation. Calling people out who have been on the site for years doing nothing but trying to provoke a reaction is not backseat moderation. Some of the stuff I've been carded for there is laughable, while some of the stuff that I've seen others get away scot free is likewise laughable.

1) Ban the wums. Being told to report individual posts and them being actioned (they won't be) isn't any use when you have the same people over and over just staying within the boundaries of what's allowed while their intention of wumming and getting a reaction is crystal clear to all the users of the forums it happens in. If the mods can't identify these posters they're not fit for the job. Most likely they know rightly but protect them.

2) The report post button isn't fit for purpose. Every time I get carded it's most likely for reacting to something. Stupid I know but that's another point. I'm told over and over to use the report post button so for a day or so I do. I go back to look and not a single one of the posts has ever been actioned. This is everything from being called racist by one scummer in the football forum over and over that nothing happened about to the deliberate wumming, name-calling etc. The reason people react is because you might as well stick your phone up your hole as report a post. If you report something, especially something serious then the mod that reviews it should PM you their decision and what happened once they do something. Again, if this is too much work then get new mods or more mods.

3) The soccer mods should have a look at the GAA forum. A lot of the same people post in both but you rarely ever see any grief in the GAA forum because there's a certain standard that the mods and regulars uphold. If someone is behaving like a dick they will be told to cop on. It's not back seat modding, it's common sense and the forum is a much much better place as a result.

There's loads more, but it's all a waste of time typing it out as like always nothing will change, more people will quit the forum and the wums will win as that's the way the place has been going for ages. Sort those three things out and the place has a chance to be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Never said you were...strange

What's the the "as you well know" dig at the end then? And I've openly talked about having previous accounts. So it seemed needlessly antagonistic.

Jayop wrote: »
    Almost all of the issues in the contentious forums are down to mods being completely inconsistent, both with how they themselves react to 2 identical posts from different posters and also from how they react compared to the other mods of the same forum. The moderation in the football forum is an absolute disgrace to the site.

Soccer moderation got a good few mentions in this thread. More positive than negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I make a suggestion about reviving the Politics Cafe....
    thread in the cafe highlighting issues at the moment, similar to this one
    sKeith wrote: »
    I just have one little request. A while ago, a very simple and much liked by me, feature was removed. I have already asked for it to be returned, but am unsure that the people I asked undestodd what i was talking about.

I received your call for feedback and I may as well add it here again.

There used to be a link at the bottom of every page to https://www.boards.ie/

The line....
    Copyright © 2000 - 2018 Boards.ie Limited (Hosted by Digiweb Hosting)

used to look like this...
    Copyright © 2000 - 2018 Boards.ie Limited (Hosted by Digiweb Hosting)

Can this very simple feature please be brought back,

Thank you.

That would be nice, and at the same time, even though i realise the touch site is totally ****ed, if the thread page number / change arrows could actually consistently always appear at the bottom of a page that would be great. Now it's totally hit and miss whether they load.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Can I ask how Boards has dealt with EU developments in regards to the right to be forgotten?

Soccer moderation got a good few mentions in this thread. More positive than negative.

I'm sure the people that get away with constant wumming while trying to get others banned are very happy with it.

If you go into any match thread for a United game in which they don't win and think that's the result of good work by the mods then you're on a different planet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Can I ask how Boards has dealt with EU developments in regards to the right to be forgotten?

does that apply to fictional characters like us

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Closed accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Boards is anonymous, so doesn't come under that.

I'm sure the people that get away with constant wumming while trying to get others banned are very happy with it.

If you go into any match thread for a United game in which they don't win and think that's the result of good work by the mods then you're on a different planet to me.

It's only one forum. This exercise is trying to get to the reason that overall posts on Boards have reduced by 2.5 million over the last few years.

I don't think any issues to do with moderation are the reason. I expect the same Wind Up Merchants were in operation in Soccer at the height of Boards' popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But it would mean that someone couldn't go to someone's profile and trawl through all their posts.

That could be removed/limited to your friends list pretty easily I'd imagine.. I tend to agree that some of the efforts some posters go through to attack others by trawling through posting history verges on either creepy or stalkerish.

Ditto the option of seeing who a user previously posted as if they simply asked for it to be renamed rather than closed it entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I remember looking it up at the time and it only applies to places where you are named. I'd imagine the figures for people posting using their real names on Boards is as close to 0% as its possible to get without being 0.

Again I'll say if someone does name you on boards then report it to the local mods who will delete the post and warn the office cause its that serious its in the terms of use.

https://www.boards.ie/content/terms?site=desktop
    5. What you agree to when joining boards.ie
    defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights
    (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others
    identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

People have been site banned for outing* someone. (*outing is probably the wrong word)

It's only one forum. This exercise is trying to get to the reason that overall posts on Boards have reduced by 2.5 million over the last few years.

I don't think any issues to do with moderation are the reason. I expect the same Wind Up Merchants were in operation in Soccer at the height of Boards' popularity.

1) I just went over every mention of soccer in this thread and it's certainly not more positive than good.

2) This topic has been opened to include things that would improve the user experience in this post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105861854#post105861854 so this is all very relevant. Politics fell foul to a lot of the things that the I complained about the soccer forum. AH's can too.

3) You clearly didn't read my list of complaints about the mods if you think that I'm blaming the wums. The wums aren't the problem. It's incompetent and inconsistent moderation that is.

1) I just went over every mention of soccer in this thread and it's certainly not more positive than good.

2) This topic has been opened to include things that would improve the user experience in this post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105861854#post105861854 so this is all very relevant. Politics fell foul to a lot of the things that the I complained about the soccer forum. AH's can too.

3) You clearly didn't read my list of complaints about the mods if you think that I'm blaming the wums. The wums aren't the problem. It's incompetent and inconsistent moderation that is.

In the end even if you got the perfect Boards, or other people got exactly what they want, it will not bring back the missing 2.5 million posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Im sick of all the basically racist dog whistling threads being left unchecked in AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What's the the "as you well know" dig at the end then? And I've openly talked about having previous accounts. So it seemed needlessly antagonistic.

? No, I just said that if a poster is reregging then if they keep posting in the same style, in the same fora, then they will be easily spotted, and "as you well know was not a dig"...it was a mere nod to the fact you have been here before and you would know that it's true, is that a bit clearer?

In the end even if you got the perfect Boards, or other people got exactly what they want, it will not bring back the missing 2.5 million posts.

If the user experience is improved less people will drop out and more people could sign up. This is fairly basic stuff.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Everyone is responsible for anything they post here or elsewhere. Anyone can copy and paste anything in the public forums. And that's the point - it's public, and posters know that when they post. You may have the right to be forgotten, but your actions are not and cannot be eradicated. And that applies even if you post under your real name. If you post anonymously, what is there to be forgotten?

• Advertisement

If the user experience is improved less people will drop out and more people could sign up. This is fairly basic stuff.

The user experience is the same for me as it was five years ago, and ten years ago. Improving it for one person might be making it worse for others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement