Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

14-01-2018, 13:28   #1786
Discodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
But you can be bothered to post twice about it here
There are totally different processes. One is a simple post, that others can view & comment about. The other is a private conversation with an individual.
Imagine if, instead of this thread, there was a huge chain of PMs to Mods.

Why can't the process be open to all & not just the two people in the PM conversation ?

For once can't the Admins see that most of the posts here are from people who want Boards to continue & actually care about it. All you seem to see is the negativity.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2018, 13:58   #1787
Beasty
Administrator

AFAIK there is only one poster complaining about this specific mod action

If you allow every user the opportunity to discuss every mod decision, there are more than enough sh!t-stirrers who would take every opportunity to make mods lives as difficult as possible

We already have the Help Desk forum which caters for precisely this sort of issue (once you have concluded your discussion at mod/Cmod levels)
(3) thanks from:
14-01-2018, 14:31   #1788
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discodog View Post
I really wonder about the whole PM the Mod concept. An interesting thread was closed, imo prematurely. To be honest I can't really be bothered to PM the Mod, get into a discussion about it, etc etc. If I can't be arsed to then most posters wouldn't, especially new posters. It's easier to just forget it.

A forum feedback sticky would remedy this & posters wouldn't feel that they have to "take on" the mod alone & be seen as a trouble maker. The mod could explain the reason to all rather that just one & people could express an opinion. Maybe the majority would agree with the decision.
A hall mark of good accountability is transparency, the boards system is what happens when you let the administrators of an organisation manage how complaints against them are handled, they will just set up a system that protects themselves.

Administrators rarely think of the larger picture of keeping the organization relevant to their customers and thus afloat.
(5) thanks from:
14-01-2018, 14:33   #1789
Discodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
A hall mark of good accountability is transparency, the boards system is what happens when you let the administrators of an organisation manage how complaints against them are handled, they will just set up a system that protects themselves.

Administrators rarely think of the larger picture of keeping the organization relevant to their customers and thus afloat.
The sad thing is all they see are problems. Meanwhile Boards dies a death. Plus there is the classic Irish business excuse - we tried that before years ago.

Last edited by Discodog; 14-01-2018 at 14:37.
14-01-2018, 14:41   #1790

Quote:
Are you talking in AH or elsewhere? If the latter we've not started that wider discussion with mods yet

Just to add though. this is a very subjective area. Some closures you may consider premature may have attracted a large number of reports, may have resulted in a lot of deletions, or may warrant closure for a whole range of reasons - in whichever case you are referring to was a reason given or have you asked the mods about it?
A huge problem I see when threads are being closed....in AH....is that they have no explanation.

IMO the mods should tell people in detail why they are closing a thread and post that either a PM or report with reasons why it should be kept open are welcome.

To be fair to the mods, I've reported a couple of closing posts with no details in them and they have actually followed up and edited the closing posts with their reasoning, I think if this could be done as standard people might be more understanding of thread closures in some instances.
Advertisement
14-01-2018, 15:09   #1791
gandalf

Quote:
Unfortunately due to circumstances outside my control I have not been active on admin matters for a while, and that is likely to continue. Hence you may not see much active contribution from me, but I will try and chip in where I can, be it in this thread or behind the scenes (and I think I know, having been at the heart of this thread throughout, of some of the issues that seem to matter most to the userbase, and equally a number of points that were raised but not widely discussed - they will still be considered )
I'd like to commend you on your interactions in this thread and for leaving it open. It should not be just on your shoulders to keep the lines of communication open especially with more important real world situations to deal with.

What disappoints me the most is that boards has two paid community managers who do not communicate with the community. I don't believe I have seen them post once on this thread. Its like they are hiding from us.

Again thanks for all your input especially considering you have other issues to deal with. Whilst we had our differences in the past I am grateful for the interactions here and I wish you good luck.
14-01-2018, 15:41   #1792

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
What disappoints me the most is that boards has two paid community managers who do not communicate with the community. I don't believe I have seen them post once on this thread. Its like they are hiding from us.
Mark has posted twice on the thread. He's an employee, not sure if he's a community manager. I thought Niamh did too but she doesn't come up in a search.

Last edited by _Dara_; 14-01-2018 at 15:50.
14-01-2018, 16:11   #1793
gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dara_ View Post
Mark has posted twice on the thread. He's an employee, not sure if he's a community manager. I thought Niamh did too but she doesn't come up in a search.
Yep just check and noted. Then again two interactions from a thread of 1791 now 1792 posts is not great from the optics of the community management side of the fence.

It still doesn't change the situation that a committed timeframe for a response and a plan of action is needed to show we are being taken seriously and I look forward to seeing that.
Thanks from:
14-01-2018, 16:13   #1794
Chorus_suck
Banned

This post has been deleted.
Advertisement
14-01-2018, 16:17   #1795
gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorus_suck View Post
This post has been deleted.
A response has been promised I added in the timeframe part. From my working life and from experience in working on projects items without a deadline can get "lost" in the day to day bustle.
Thanks from:
16-01-2018, 18:24   #1796
Beasty
Administrator

I have spent some time re-reading this thread, and have identified various suggestions made to improve the experience of users. A number of AH-specific points were made (including, for example, the "chat thread" point). I understand the AH mods will do their own review of the thread, and am not going to cover them off here

There are some specific points as well as a couple of generic ones.

Firstly the generic ones:

Feedback forum – we always indicated we wanted to give the current process 6 months or so. We are proposing to hold an Open Feedback thread on this, but want to wait until we had worked through this thread before starting that. There will be some ground rules to avoid too much focus on specific points or the thread being overly dominated by a small number of posters. I would hope we can get this up and running by the end of January

Moderation – this is something we will discuss with mods initially. One thing we are looking at is refreshing the mod guidelines with a view to getting consistency where appropriate. However (and this applies equally to the suggestion of doing away with forum charters altogether), there is never going to be a one-size fits all solution when we cover such diverse topics as Soccer, PI, Politics etc. I would expect us to provide further feedback to the wider community following that discussion, but I don’t want to attempt to put a timescale on that as there is the potential for a large number of points to be considered

Turning now to some of the specific points raised:

Site development issues:

Post 31 – Search function
Post 26 – decent app
Post 376 – mods to only be shown as mods in the forums they moderate
Re-introduce menu link to Post of the Day – I understand there may be a quick fix to this

An additional point was raised at post 1740 about trying to give prominence to more threads on the front page, but there has not been much further discussion on this particular point

I think I can say there is general support for all of these suggestions, and indeed they have been made previously. These though are issues for the Office and Site Development team. As I understand it they have been considered low priority given other issues the site has had to deal with. We will though pass the feedback on to the office. Anything that cannot be accommodated in the current set-up will certainly be considered as the Responsive site is revamped.

Some points for further discussion

Post 894 - Hiding inactive forums (maybe dropping them down a level could be considered though)
Post 1066 - Introduce the ability to hide threads
Prison – there were comments about Admin attitude in the Prison forum. However it seemed to be of concern to a very small number of posters, and it has been recognised that changes were introduced following earlier feedback. One option would be to hide the forum from public view. We would then, no doubt, face claims of not being open. I personally do not see any issue with the way that forum currently operates and we are not proposing to implement any changes, but equally if there is widespread concern we could revisit this. Either way, I’m not currently seeing this as one of the major issues raised here.

A general point I will add is we had comments about making sure changes are properly tested before being introduced and some of these things are not going to be as simple as flicking a switch

A number of points will be discussed with the mod team:

Post 29 – thread locking/deleting
Post 401 – feedback stickies in every forum
Post 979 – zombie threads

We will consider the following at Admin/Office level:

Post 453 – too many forums
Post 730 – focus given to rejuvenating forums (although this is something that has been tried without much success)

Then we have another item for the office:

Post 91 – user survey

I think there is little merit in pursuing a number of suggestions, although we will at least have a discussion at Admin level:

Post 21 – allow “uncensored” discussion – I am pretty sure our legal advisers would risk heart attacks at this suggestion
Post 141 – hide postcounts. Although this was suggested I’m not sure there was much support for this
Post 303 – specific/limited terms for mods – I really don’t see this working with the current site layout, and in particular the number of forums we would probably never get mods for
Post 562 – mods should not moderate topics they have a personal interest in. This arguably links into the suggestion of paid staff doing the modding, but neither seem in any way practical to me
Post 577 – removal of usernames from closed accounts – it would be incredibly confusing if posters cannot see the way a thread developed, and equally I’m not sure what benefit we would get from this

I am proposing we close this thread around lunchtime on Friday. This allows anyone who feels they have more to add, or think we have missed an important suggestion to respond accordingly. Please do not post asking why the thread will not be left open. I have already addressed that point and will re-iterate AH is not the place for site-wide feedback. Further threads here will not be tolerated, certainly while we continue to review the output of this thread.

As a general point I would like to commend posters on the way they have behaved in this thread, which has been part of the reason we have allowed it to remain open. I am not sure the old “Feedback” format would have worked in this way, and perhaps we have benefited by getting a wider cross section of input. Feedback is definitely appreciated, but one issue with that old format was things typically went round in circles with posters complaining about lack of action, often in areas where we really did not have a proper site-wide perspective. This thread has, in my personal view, been much more constructive even if it did get a little tense on occasion.
(126) thanks from:
2011, 5rtytry56, A Dub in Glasgo, aaronjumper, aine1980, andekwarhola, Arghus, Autecher, Baby75, Billy86, blanch152, Blowfish, bluewolf, Boards.ie: Mark, boneyarsebogman, Boom_Bap, Buford T. Justice VI, Candie, CIARAN_BOYLE, CiDeRmAn, clintondaly, Colser, Comhra, Conchir, corcaigh1, cros13, Damien360, darced, DeBurca, devnull, Diziet, Dizzyblonde, dolanbaker, dunworth1, ED E, end of the road, entropi, fancy pigeon, Fingleberries, Fr_Dougal, Fuaranach, gandalf, gifted, Gladcon, Gloomtastic!, GreeBo, Gremlinertia, Greybottle, G_R, Hannibal_Smith, Insect Overlord, IrishStuff09, jamesd, John mac, J_E, keith_sixteen, kerry4sam, Kingp35, kittychan, Kivaro, Larry Bee, LEIN, LizT, longgonesilver, looksee, Loughc, LynnGrace, Mam of 4, Mark Rippetoe, Mc Love, MIN2511, MOH, monument, Muahahaha, nava, New Home, NicsM, Nody, OldGoat, Omackeral, pedatron, Penny Tration, Pero_Bueno, Persepoly, pleas advice, PlentyOhToole, Poochie05, Posy, RacoonQueen, rainbowtrout, Rashers, rawn, retro:electro, Sad Professor, Sam Russell, sdanseo, Shlippery, Sierra Oscar, Skylinehead, soirish, Solitaire, Srameen, Standard Toaster, Sugar Free, sumsar, Suzuki_TL1000R, Tabnabs, Taltos, TBi, Tenger, Theboinkmaster, TheChrisD, the_syco, thomasm, Tom Mann Centuria, TomSweeney, tomwaterford, Toots, Vegeta, vetinari, westernfrenzy, Wibbs, Wishbone Ash, xpletiv, zilog_jones, _Kaiser_
16-01-2018, 18:30   #1797
Candie

A few posters, including myself, mentioned the drop down menu, and how forums are now buried under clicks. A few more options to limit the amount of digging one has to do to stumble upon something new would be preferable to the four options and limitless clicks available at the moment.

The current menu means there is no longer any street traffic through some forums, forums that might well have many more visitors if they weren't in cold storage under a trillion clicks. So many seem destined to die because people are most likely unaware of them.

Can the menu be re-visited, perhaps?
16-01-2018, 18:36   #1798
Pac1Man

I don't understand the hide post-count suggestion. I have 31 independent PMs from people asking how I will celebrate my 4000th post and if there will be some event or commemorative thread marking the occasion.

If that suggestion is passed it will disappoint a lot of people including myself.
16-01-2018, 18:42   #1799
Buford T. Justice VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1Man View Post
I don't understand the hide post-count suggestion. I have 31 independent PMs from people asking how I will celebrate my 4000th post and if there will be some event or commemorative thread marking the occasion.

If that suggestion is passed it will disappoint a lot of people including myself.
nOOb
16-01-2018, 18:43   #1800
blackwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
A few posters, including myself, mentioned the drop down menu, and how forums are now buried under clicks. A few more options to limit the amount of digging one has to do to stumble upon something new would be preferable to the four options and limitless clicks available at the moment.

The current menu means there is no longer any street traffic through some forums, forums that might well have many more visitors if they weren't in cold storage under a trillion clicks. So many seem destined to die because people are most likely unaware of them.

Can the menu be re-visited, perhaps?

+1 to this

The previous iteration of the menu made things feel less hidden, and for me anyway, meant I was more likely to browse forums I wouldn’t be a regular visitor to
Thread Closed