Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I dont think there has ever been a time when everyone has been happy with boards. It certainly is a lot better now than it was a couple of years ago when the mod culture was rotten to the core on some of the larger forums, AH included.

The moderation now is much better, less naziesque, but a lot of the deadwood forums need culling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

KyussB wrote: »
    I agree, it's probably more that they don't know what to do with all the Feedback)

I think the admins know exactly what to do with it tbh.

Collate it, organise it, prioritise it and send it upstairs to the the people who run/own the site.

They then stick it in the pile and go back to looking for more TalkTo companies.

For years we have had tech issues.
    If all the development staff are fully utilized "keeping the site running" then firstly they are not developers, they are operations.

Secondly, if ops are spending all their time troubleshooting issues to keep the lights on, them either we are under resources hardware wise or we are on a ****ty platform or both.

Either way, it badly needs investment and actual developers to work on features.

I've been here a while now and it's the same response since day 1, that's not very satisfying for the posters, kinda makes you feel like an unwanted but necessary resource. (AKA a Ryanair customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Damn.
    I'd have signed off with a wittier reply if I knew it was going to kill the thread! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's not dead ................................................yet :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

With respect, he has answered exactly none of the questions I’ve asked.

And guys, Besty is a big boy ... I’m sure he can answer for himself.
    I am currently out of the country with a very sick close relative. I'm not going to be posting again in this thread for a while. When I'm back in action I will respond as I set out previously. Alternatively other admins or someone from the office may pick this up. I am certainly not going to be giving any special treatment to questions asked by a poster who seems to provide a lot more feedback on the site than contributing constructively to its discussion forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I know Beasty is indisposed but is there a timeframe for an "official" response to the issues highlighted here. At the moment it appears that the wish is that they disappear into the ether and fester some more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

gandalf wrote: »
    ......... At the moment it appears that the wish is that they disappear into the ether and fester some more?
    in other words that in traditional Irish fashion, the wish is that they "go away" to some desolate place for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    in other words that in traditional Irish fashion, the wish is that they "go away" to some desolate place for a long long time.

The desolation of smaug if you will.

Well the premature thread closures are still happening :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I dropped a note in the Admin forum the other day. The office are back tomorrow. One thing I am committed to, and I've seen similar comments from both the office and other Admins, is that something will come out of this. There will be no inaction.

Some things we can address quickly we will look to do so. System issues are outside our control but again if there are any quick wins we will ask for them to be prioritised. There are some general comments about modding that we owe a full discussion within the mod forum about

One thing I can assure you all over is that this is not forgotten

Unfortunately due to circumstances outside my control I have not been active on admin matters for a while, and that is likely to continue. Hence you may not see much active contribution from me, but I will try and chip in where I can, be it in this thread or behind the scenes (and I think I know, having been at the heart of this thread throughout, of some of the issues that seem to matter most to the userbase, and equally a number of points that were raised but not widely discussed - they will still be considered )

One thing I am conscious of is we don't want to introduce change for the sake of it, and equally some of the proposals may not get widespread support, or may be considered negative by the wider userbase. I also think that we need to give some opportunity to discuss certain matters further. Hence I see this as a case of delivering on the "quick" wins while consulting both within the mod team and at Admin/Office level and openly with the userbase on some of the medium to long terms suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The desolation of smaug if you will.

Desolation of smug more like :D

Discodog wrote: »
    Well the premature thread closures are still happening :(
    Are you talking in AH or elsewhere? If the latter we've not started that wider discussion with mods yet

Just to add though. this is a very subjective area. Some closures you may consider premature may have attracted a large number of reports, may have resulted in a lot of deletions, or may warrant closure for a whole range of reasons - in whichever case you are referring to was a reason given or have you asked the mods about it?

I really wonder about the whole PM the Mod concept. An interesting thread was closed, imo prematurely. To be honest I can't really be bothered to PM the Mod, get into a discussion about it, etc etc. If I can't be arsed to then most posters wouldn't, especially new posters. It's easier to just forget it.

A forum feedback sticky would remedy this & posters wouldn't feel that they have to "take on" the mod alone & be seen as a trouble maker. The mod could explain the reason to all rather that just one & people could express an opinion. Maybe the majority would agree with the decision.

To be honest I can't really be bothered to PM the Mod, get into a discussion about it, etc etc

But you can be bothered to post twice about it here:confused:

Beasty wrote: »
    But you can be bothered to post twice about it here:confused:

There are totally different processes. One is a simple post, that others can view & comment about. The other is a private conversation with an individual.
    Imagine if, instead of this thread, there was a huge chain of PMs to Mods.

Why can't the process be open to all & not just the two people in the PM conversation ?

For once can't the Admins see that most of the posts here are from people who want Boards to continue & actually care about it. All you seem to see is the negativity.

AFAIK there is only one poster complaining about this specific mod action

If you allow every user the opportunity to discuss every mod decision, there are more than enough sh!t-stirrers who would take every opportunity to make mods lives as difficult as possible

We already have the Help Desk forum which caters for precisely this sort of issue (once you have concluded your discussion at mod/Cmod levels)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I really wonder about the whole PM the Mod concept. An interesting thread was closed, imo prematurely. To be honest I can't really be bothered to PM the Mod, get into a discussion about it, etc etc. If I can't be arsed to then most posters wouldn't, especially new posters. It's easier to just forget it.

A forum feedback sticky would remedy this & posters wouldn't feel that they have to "take on" the mod alone & be seen as a trouble maker. The mod could explain the reason to all rather that just one & people could express an opinion. Maybe the majority would agree with the decision.

A hall mark of good accountability is transparency, the boards system is what happens when you let the administrators of an organisation manage how complaints against them are handled, they will just set up a system that protects themselves.

Administrators rarely think of the larger picture of keeping the organization relevant to their customers and thus afloat.

Bambi wrote: »
    A hall mark of good accountability is transparency, the boards system is what happens when you let the administrators of an organisation manage how complaints against them are handled, they will just set up a system that protects themselves.

Administrators rarely think of the larger picture of keeping the organization relevant to their customers and thus afloat.

The sad thing is all they see are problems. Meanwhile Boards dies a death. Plus there is the classic Irish business excuse - we tried that before years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Are you talking in AH or elsewhere? If the latter we've not started that wider discussion with mods yet

Just to add though. this is a very subjective area. Some closures you may consider premature may have attracted a large number of reports, may have resulted in a lot of deletions, or may warrant closure for a whole range of reasons - in whichever case you are referring to was a reason given or have you asked the mods about it?

A huge problem I see when threads are being closed....in AH....is that they have no explanation.

IMO the mods should tell people in detail why they are closing a thread and post that either a PM or report with reasons why it should be kept open are welcome.

To be fair to the mods, I've reported a couple of closing posts with no details in them and they have actually followed up and edited the closing posts with their reasoning, I think if this could be done as standard people might be more understanding of thread closures in some instances.

Unfortunately due to circumstances outside my control I have not been active on admin matters for a while, and that is likely to continue. Hence you may not see much active contribution from me, but I will try and chip in where I can, be it in this thread or behind the scenes (and I think I know, having been at the heart of this thread throughout, of some of the issues that seem to matter most to the userbase, and equally a number of points that were raised but not widely discussed - they will still be considered )

I'd like to commend you on your interactions in this thread and for leaving it open. It should not be just on your shoulders to keep the lines of communication open especially with more important real world situations to deal with.

What disappoints me the most is that boards has two paid community managers who do not communicate with the community. I don't believe I have seen them post once on this thread. Its like they are hiding from us.

Again thanks for all your input especially considering you have other issues to deal with. Whilst we had our differences in the past I am grateful for the interactions here and I wish you good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

gandalf wrote: »
    What disappoints me the most is that boards has two paid community managers who do not communicate with the community. I don't believe I have seen them post once on this thread. Its like they are hiding from us.

Mark has posted twice on the thread. He's an employee, not sure if he's a community manager. I thought Niamh did too but she doesn't come up in a search.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Mark has posted twice on the thread. He's an employee, not sure if he's a community manager. I thought Niamh did too but she doesn't come up in a search.

Yep just check and noted. Then again two interactions from a thread of 1791 now 1792 posts is not great from the optics of the community management side of the fence.

It still doesn't change the situation that a committed timeframe for a response and a plan of action is needed to show we are being taken seriously and I look forward to seeing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

A response has been promised I added in the timeframe part. From my working life and from experience in working on projects items without a deadline can get "lost" in the day to day bustle.

I have spent some time re-reading this thread, and have identified various suggestions made to improve the experience of users. A number of AH-specific points were made (including, for example, the "chat thread" point). I understand the AH mods will do their own review of the thread, and am not going to cover them off here

There are some specific points as well as a couple of generic ones.

Firstly the generic ones:

Feedback forum – we always indicated we wanted to give the current process 6 months or so. We are proposing to hold an Open Feedback thread on this, but want to wait until we had worked through this thread before starting that. There will be some ground rules to avoid too much focus on specific points or the thread being overly dominated by a small number of posters. I would hope we can get this up and running by the end of January

Moderation – this is something we will discuss with mods initially. One thing we are looking at is refreshing the mod guidelines with a view to getting consistency where appropriate. However (and this applies equally to the suggestion of doing away with forum charters altogether), there is never going to be a one-size fits all solution when we cover such diverse topics as Soccer, PI, Politics etc. I would expect us to provide further feedback to the wider community following that discussion, but I don’t want to attempt to put a timescale on that as there is the potential for a large number of points to be considered

Turning now to some of the specific points raised:

Site development issues:

Post 31 – Search function
    Post 26 – decent app
    Post 376 – mods to only be shown as mods in the forums they moderate
    Re-introduce menu link to Post of the Day – I understand there may be a quick fix to this

An additional point was raised at post 1740 about trying to give prominence to more threads on the front page, but there has not been much further discussion on this particular point

I think I can say there is general support for all of these suggestions, and indeed they have been made previously. These though are issues for the Office and Site Development team. As I understand it they have been considered low priority given other issues the site has had to deal with. We will though pass the feedback on to the office. Anything that cannot be accommodated in the current set-up will certainly be considered as the Responsive site is revamped.

Some points for further discussion

Post 894 - Hiding inactive forums (maybe dropping them down a level could be considered though)
    Post 1066 - Introduce the ability to hide threads
    Prison – there were comments about Admin attitude in the Prison forum. However it seemed to be of concern to a very small number of posters, and it has been recognised that changes were introduced following earlier feedback. One option would be to hide the forum from public view. We would then, no doubt, face claims of not being open. I personally do not see any issue with the way that forum currently operates and we are not proposing to implement any changes, but equally if there is widespread concern we could revisit this. Either way, I’m not currently seeing this as one of the major issues raised here.

A general point I will add is we had comments about making sure changes are properly tested before being introduced and some of these things are not going to be as simple as flicking a switch

A number of points will be discussed with the mod team:

Post 29 – thread locking/deleting
    Post 401 – feedback stickies in every forum
    Post 979 – zombie threads

We will consider the following at Admin/Office level:

Post 453 – too many forums
    Post 730 – focus given to rejuvenating forums (although this is something that has been tried without much success)

Then we have another item for the office:

Post 91 – user survey

I think there is little merit in pursuing a number of suggestions, although we will at least have a discussion at Admin level:

Post 21 – allow “uncensored” discussion – I am pretty sure our legal advisers would risk heart attacks at this suggestion
    Post 141 – hide postcounts. Although this was suggested I’m not sure there was much support for this
    Post 303 – specific/limited terms for mods – I really don’t see this working with the current site layout, and in particular the number of forums we would probably never get mods for
    Post 562 – mods should not moderate topics they have a personal interest in. This arguably links into the suggestion of paid staff doing the modding, but neither seem in any way practical to me
    Post 577 – removal of usernames from closed accounts – it would be incredibly confusing if posters cannot see the way a thread developed, and equally I’m not sure what benefit we would get from this

I am proposing we close this thread around lunchtime on Friday. This allows anyone who feels they have more to add, or think we have missed an important suggestion to respond accordingly. Please do not post asking why the thread will not be left open. I have already addressed that point and will re-iterate AH is not the place for site-wide feedback. Further threads here will not be tolerated, certainly while we continue to review the output of this thread.

As a general point I would like to commend posters on the way they have behaved in this thread, which has been part of the reason we have allowed it to remain open. I am not sure the old “Feedback” format would have worked in this way, and perhaps we have benefited by getting a wider cross section of input. Feedback is definitely appreciated, but one issue with that old format was things typically went round in circles with posters complaining about lack of action, often in areas where we really did not have a proper site-wide perspective. This thread has, in my personal view, been much more constructive even if it did get a little tense on occasion.

A few posters, including myself, mentioned the drop down menu, and how forums are now buried under clicks. A few more options to limit the amount of digging one has to do to stumble upon something new would be preferable to the four options and limitless clicks available at the moment.

The current menu means there is no longer any street traffic through some forums, forums that might well have many more visitors if they weren't in cold storage under a trillion clicks. So many seem destined to die because people are most likely unaware of them.

Can the menu be re-visited, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I don't understand the hide post-count suggestion. I have 31 independent PMs from people asking how I will celebrate my 4000th post and if there will be some event or commemorative thread marking the occasion.

If that suggestion is passed it will disappoint a lot of people including myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I don't understand the hide post-count suggestion. I have 31 independent PMs from people asking how I will celebrate my 4000th post and if there will be some event or commemorative thread marking the occasion.

If that suggestion is passed it will disappoint a lot of people including myself.
    nOOb:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Candie wrote: »
    A few posters, including myself, mentioned the drop down menu, and how forums are now buried under clicks. A few more options to limit the amount of digging one has to do to stumble upon something new would be preferable to the four options and limitless clicks available at the moment.

The current menu means there is no longer any street traffic through some forums, forums that might well have many more visitors if they weren't in cold storage under a trillion clicks. So many seem destined to die because people are most likely unaware of them.

+1 to this

The previous iteration of the menu made things feel less hidden, and for me anyway, meant I was more likely to browse forums I wouldn’t be a regular visitor to

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »

I was thinking this was partially covered in the "too many forums" point. My own thinking was to perhaps give more prominence to the popular forums, while some of those less busy ones (which are often frequented by regular posters) could be that extra click away

It does though more come into how the responsive site is set up as I understand development time is dedicated to getting that in a much more user-friendly format. The vBulletin base is such a mismatch of outdated changes that trying to put fixes in can often result in more problems than it solves. However that's more for the development team to comment on than a non-techie like me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement