Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You know what, I’ve just gone and done the same!

Ashe on Tuesday night, round 1, and Ashe day ticket for Thursday round 2, though we may just use this one as a ground pass with Ashe being a safety net in case of rain or if Federer is on.

What did you get?

I got Ashe Thursday day session as well. Might get a ground pass for another day.

Sent Ticketmaster an email just to cover my arse. Hopefully there'll be no issue. I tried to add a second card to see if it saves.....nada! Got the same "there are problems with your submission" crap.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RosyLily wrote: »
    I got Ashe Thursday day session as well. Might get a ground pass for another day.

Sent Ticketmaster an email just to cover my arse. Hopefully there'll be no issue. I tried to add a second card to see if it saves.....nada! Got the same "there are problems with your submission" crap.:mad:

What’s the value of a ground pass really? If an Ashe day ticket is the same sort of price, just get that, as it provides rain assurance, and has all the benefits of a ground pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Do all the Grand Slams do the same as the French were they sell tickets for each of the semi finals?  I know in some they sell day tickets and Evening tickets which is fair enough but at the French the 2 Men's Semi Finals are during the day and they sell the tickets separately. I know for the ATP in Rome they sell a day and Evening ticket, I was there for the Semi finals a couple of years ago on a day ticket and got 2 Women's semi Finals and 1 one of the Men's Semi.   I think Wimbledon just sell the ticket for the day and have some sort of re-sell on the tickets when people leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Floppybits wrote: »
    Do all the Grand Slams do the same as the French were they sell tickets for each of the semi finals?  I know in some they sell day tickets and Evening tickets which is fair enough but at the French the 2 Men's Semi Finals are during the day and they sell the tickets separately. I know for the ATP in Rome they sell a day and Evening ticket, I was there for the Semi finals a couple of years ago on a day ticket and got 2 Women's semi Finals and 1 one of the Men's Semi.   I think Wimbledon just sell the ticket for the day and have some sort of re-sell on the tickets when people leave.

I don’t think the other slams do that. I didn’t realize RG did that. What a rip off if so.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I don’t think the other slams do that. I didn’t realize RG did that. What a rip off if so.
    That's what I thought when I heard the commentators talking about it on Friday.   Wimbledon the tickets are for all matches on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Title number 98 for Roger. Written in the stars he'll take 100 at Wimbledon?

Just can't see him being beaten. His serve is just such a weapon on grass that even if he doesn't play great overall he can still fall back on that unlike the rest of the big 4

Murray playing Queens. Hard to know what state he'll be in for the grass season but nice to have him back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Federer is now the three oldest men to have been ranked #1

His only competition to beat this record is his future self :pac:

jr86 wrote: »
    Murray playing Queens. Hard to know what state he'll be in for the grass season but nice to have him back.

Tough opener for Murray at Queens, Kyrgios. Suppose he will need to get use to this with his ranking outside the top 100.

I can see Murray just playing his way back for the rest of this year looking to get ready for next year.

Tough opener for Murray at Queens, Kyrgios. Suppose he will need to get use to this with his ranking outside the top 100.

I can see Murray just playing his way back for the rest of this year looking to get ready for next year.

Yeah, I hope he's not rushing back just to play in home tournaments

But it'll be an ideal way to ease his way back in

I doubt Murray would come back unless he really thought he could win majors again, so it will be very interesting to see can he return to the top table

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Murray will always believe he can win majors. Even past when he can I reckon. It is simply part of these guys DNA.

I reckon he is close to fitness this time though but if he will return to full strength is a different question. I hope so for the game.

• Advertisement

Roddick looks like he needs to get out of the house a bit more!

The line up for Queens looks good with Murray, Kyrgios, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Raonic and Cilic all playing.  Wawrinka plays Norrie this afternoon it will be interesting to see how that goes.   Be interesting to see what stage Wawrinka is at in terms of fitness

Christy42 wrote: »
    Murray will always believe he can win majors. Even past when he can I reckon. It is simply part of these guys DNA.

I've always had Murray down as one of the more philosophical players, and with a year out behind him and now in his 30s, he'll surely have a fair idea about what more he can actually give

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Christy42 wrote: »

I've always had Murray down as one of the more philosophical players, and with a year out behind him and now in his 30s, he'll surely have a fair idea about what more he can actually give
    Didn't he push Wimbledon against advice last year? Even then he was talking about the US Open.

Don't get me wrong it is not a bad trait. I am not sure it is possible to get to that level without it but it has drawbacks. If his team can control that tendency then it will work out. He may have even learned his lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think that, out of the Big 4, Murray may have the most difficulty with his comeback. I know he came back from back surgery in 2013, but he is 30 now and invested so much in 2016 to finally get to No.1, I'm just not sure he can do that all over again.

Well that was probably a lot better than Murray expected. Really thought he'd be thumped tbh.

Could go a few rounds at wimbledon, draw depending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I hope Murray makes a good run in Wimbledon this year assuming he plays (he should do). The game needs him and Djokovic back playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Can anyone recommend good seats for the ATP Finals in London?
    Is there a massive difference between the 55 and 75 euros seats?

https://www.nittoatpfinals.com/en/tickets

I hope Murray makes a good run in Wimbledon this year assuming he plays (he should do). The game needs him and Djokovic back playing well.

Murray said he's not 100% on playing Wimbledon but it's probably a throw-away comment - I'd be surprised if he pulled out. Well capable of going a few rounds and most importantly getting some Grand Slam play under his belt

I actually think Novak is one to watch at Wimbledon. It still took a guy playing at 110% to beat him in the French quarters. He improved as the clay season went on. He's getting a bit of confidence back, which could make him very formidable. There ain't that many threats threats on grass out there outside Roger - a player he beat in their last 2 Wimbledon encounters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I actually think Novak is one to watch at Wimbledon. It still took a guy playing at 110% to beat him in the French quarters. He improved as the clay season went on. He's getting a bit of confidence back, which could make him very formidable. There ain't that many threats threats on grass out there outside Roger - a player he beat in their last 2 Wimbledon encounters

Agree 100%. I've a few quid on Djokovic at 7/1 to win SW19. I watched him closely over the clay season and he came on leaps and bounds from IW/Miami (which was a low starting point tbf). I think he is still struggling with consistency, and the FO proved that to us. Lets be honest, he wouldn't have lost that QF 2 years ago! But the fight, hunger, and determination is definitely there, if he can have a good run at Queens (big test today vs. Dimitrov), he will be in a good place going to Wimbledon.

• Advertisement

He's an interesting character that Paire. Almost Santoro-like.

Djokovic looks to be hitting form at the right time. Good to see him go well at Queens.

Double post

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not often we see Djokovic and Federer losing on the same day. I'll take it :cool:

Bold prediction that we can all laugh at later: Kvitova and Rybarikova will have a rematch in the Wimbledon final.

Also, shocked to see Thiem has actually taken a week off this week :eek: There's a precious 250 points that could've been vultured in Turkey you know!

Djokovic will be delighted with that surely

Match points against the 2nd best grass courter. Playing a lot better now, although I think Best of 5 is still a step too far for him for the moment

Fed hasn't been near his 2017 level this year. He'll still take beating but hardly a certainty. Could be a very interesting fortnight. Think Cilic might just win his 2nd slam

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not often we see Djokovic and Federer losing on the same day. I'll take it :cool:

Bold prediction that we can all laugh at later: Kvitova and Rybarikova will have a rematch in the Wimbledon final.

Also, shocked to see Thiem has actually taken a week off this week :eek: There's a precious 250 points that could've been vultured in Turkey you know!

Are the seedings already announced? Was wondering if Serena will be seeded. Kvitova is gone a bit short for me to be really interested. Looking at Ka Pliskova at the moment though she's not an obvious type for this surface, looks as wide open as any other womens slam at the moment.

Aw man. Dustin Brown lost in qualifying. Can't believe they didn't give him a wild card!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic looks to be hitting form at the right time. Good to see him go well at Queens.

don't think he is fit enough to stick it out, he was puffed at the end of that final (as he was when losing in the FO) and he looks even thinner than he used to be. Veganism is a perfectly nobel pursuit but I'm not sure I know of any elite athlete's who are pure vegans.

A lot will depend on the draw of course, the first few days are a minefield on the grass when it is actually grass, and he will be 12ish in the seedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The BBC switching off from Eastbourne with Konta and Murray both due on court and soccer being played on TWO channels. Couldn't they at least have arranged the schedule for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wimbledon thread here.

Advertisement