Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

jr86 wrote:
    Yeah it's about time he committed to a reduced schedule at this stage

jr86 wrote:
    That should include not bothering with grass anymore

Agreed, considering his injury record, he really needs to adopt a Federer-type of approach to the tour now. Maybe this latest setback will be a wake up call to him at last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hasn't finished any of his last 5 tournaments now, aged 31. Federer has won 5 of his last 6, aged 36. Kinda sums up the gulf separating talent from hard work.

Hasn't finished any of his last 5 tournaments now, aged 31. Federer has won 5 of his last 6, aged 36. Kinda sums up the gulf separating talent from hard work.

Give it a rest with your Federer rhetoric. This is an issue related to Nadal, not Federer, but yet you bring Federer into the equation. Symptomatic of Federer fanboy insecurity.

Give it a rest with your Federer rhetoric. This is an issue related to Nadal, not Federer, but yet you bring Federer into the equation. Symptomatic of Federer fanboy insecurity.
    Just pointing out a reality that will be of interest to genuine tennis fans... understand your bitterness though.

Just pointing out a reality that will be of interest to genuine tennis fans... understand your bitterness though.

:D:D You never fail to entertain! Don't confuse "genuine tennis fans" with Federer fanboys, who would of course be very interested and, in some cases, delighted to hear those very succinct facts which you pointed out. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Pluto Planet

jr86 wrote: »
    Good to see changes, but I agree with yerwanthere with regard to the skepticism about players' effort levels at the end of the season. How many top players in recent years have we seen rock up to the Tour Finals and given a token effort?

Every 2 years would be ideal. As for when - it's difficult to find an ideal time unless other events are moved. During the summer is tricky as too close to August has players pulling out to head to North America (as we saw with the Olympics in 2016), and too close to Wimbledon might mean top players pulling out who go deep at Wimbledon and on the other end of the scale more tank jobs at Wimbledon in the first round

It's fine when the way it is now, once of year and end if season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Is it?

Are players really going to turn up/give 100% so late in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is it?

Are players really going to turn up/give 100% so late in the season?

National pride does still mean a lot to some players

And lets be honest there's plenty - like in every sport - who despite throwing out a few nice PR soundbites will be far more concerned with their own career and longevity than partaking in an interest-dwindling event that eats into their own off-season, even if it is representing their country.

Plenty were willing to forego national pride when they pulled out of the Olympics (and I completely see their POV).

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

There was quite a strong backlash from some of the players when the changes were announced anyway, so I don't think this new format will last long. I mean, I don't really care about Davis Cup, but even I know the home/away factor is such a big part of it, to take it away is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

On to Indian Wells... Sharapova opens against Osaka, would play Radwanska in the 2nd round, possibly Muguruza in the 3rd and Barty/Vandeweghe in the 4th. Good luck getting through that draw Maria :pac:

Azarenka returns against Heather Watson, and would face familiar foe Sloane Stephens in the 2nd round. Serena opens against Diyas and could play Venus in the 3rd round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic and Edmund knocked out in Indian Wells.  Cant believe that Djokovic lost, he was 5-2 up in the first set and cruising and then just lost concentrating, rhythm and timing and lost the set and then struggled after that.  I suppose it is a bit of rust in the well oiled Djokovic machine from the injury layoff. Hopefully he plays in Miami. 
    Edmunds lay off as well from the Australian open cost him this match. He didn't look fully fit in it.

Bloody hell that's a horror result by Djokovic.

I'd never fully write him off but he seems absolutely miles away from slam winning form.

I didn't even know Indian Wells had started :o

With 2 of the big 4 (as well as Wawrinka) ruled out, I guess it's not surprising - the popularity of Mens Tennis seems to have hit a real lull

Floppybits wrote: »
    Djokovic and Edmund knocked out in Indian Wells. Cant believe that Djokovic lost, he was 5-2 up in the first set and cruising and then just lost concentrating, rhythm and timing and lost the set and then struggled after that. I suppose it is a bit of rust in the well oiled Djokovic machine from the injury layoff. Hopefully he plays in Miami.
    Edmunds lay off as well from the Australian open cost him this match. He didn't look fully fit in it.

I was genuinely shocked by Djokovic...he looked completely lost out there. His timing on his groundstrokes was way off, even more worryingly he looked like he wasn't hitting through the ball, which could be a subconscious decision (or even conscious) to protect the elbow.

When I seen the start of the match I thought Djokovic was going to win without being tested too much. Then whatever happened in the 8th game of the first set turned the whole match around. I guess it should be expected after the layoff the Djokovic had that he is going to have results like this until he plays more matches. I would expect to see him play a few 250 and 500s to get back into match fitness/Rhythm.

Lots been happening in Indian Wells, Serena's won her first two matches back, but Azarenka's out to Sloane Stephens after previously defeating Heather Watson.

Naomi Osaka is doing well, into the 4th round having beaten Sharapova and Radwanska along the way. Sharapova is on a three-match losing streak, her future in the sport isn't exactly looking bright right now. I'd have thought by the time the clay rolls around again she'd be back in the mix, not facing prospect of her ranking taking a dip in Stuttgart.

16 year-old Amanda Anisimova is having a nice run, into the 4th round after beating Kvitova. Bouchard, meanwhile, made great use of her wildcard by making her now customary 1st round exit. Only so long she can keep getting these WC's, even the endorsements are now starting to dry up.

Not going to bother commenting on the men's, not really interested in the Federer coronation.

The men's draw is week with no Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka and now Djokovic but in saying that Del Potro looks to have hit some form winning Acapulco and quietly making his way through the rounds in Indian Wells same with Cilic. Raonic is back as well and seems to be doing well.  Be interesting to see how he gets on after the lay off. 

Nishikori was suppose to be back but he has picked a bug and was unable to compete. That guys just has now luck.

Great seeing Del Potro back to his best. Has a great chance in this tournament.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Great seeing Del Potro back to his best. Has a great chance in this tournament.

To be fair ferrer is well on the road to retirement

Can't see anyone touching Roger really

Wow, what a result from Osaka! Thought Halep would be way too solid for her. Great to see two youngsters in the final, a real winner takes all affair. Kasatkina only has one premier title to her name whilst Osaka has only reached a single final. Hoping Osaka can do it, but think Daria will.

• Advertisement

Great to see Raonic playing well again imo

Always got a lot of stick but he really improved as a player in 2016 and injury has really cursed him since, when he was very close to regular slam contention

That said Federer will probably drop a handful of games between here and the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fed really had to pull it out of the bag..4/3 down in final set and broke to go on to win final 3 games..

Really thought he'd blow Coric away.

Would love to see Raonic winning it out but can't see RF losing the final after that

Epic match, Coric is clearly a lot more than just hype. The court seems soooo slow, I thought they wanted Fed to win everything...

Epic match, Coric is clearly a lot more than just hype. The court seems soooo slow, I thought they wanted Fed to win everything...

Indian Wells is always painfully slow. A wet dream for prime Nadal/Djokovic

Indian Wells is always painfully slow. A wet dream for prime Nadal/Djokovic
    I thought Miami was the slow one, Fed seemed to have a lot more difficulty winning there last year.

Some final this is. Both players going for it and poor Fergus in the chair getting it from both players. 😀

MP Fed!

Del breaks...5/5

• Advertisement

Well thank God for that, for the sake of the men's game.

It's a shame Del Potro is so injury prone as he could really take advantage of this new era. On his day he really is a class act.

Advertisement