Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Murray was also world number 1 for the best part of a year in the era of Nadal, Federer and Djoko. Something no other player has done since the emergence of Federer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

Rikand wrote: »
    Murray was also world number 1 for the best part of a year in the era of Nadal, Federer and Djoko. Something no other player has done since the emergence of Federer

This also gets quoted often as a reason for a big 4, but if anything it justifies more, 'Big 3, Murray, and the rest'.

Weeks at No. 1
    Federer 310
    Djokovic 223
    Nadal 194
    Murray 41

Lleyton Hewitt spent twice as many weeks at number 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ATP_number_1_ranked_singles_tennis_players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

josip wrote: »
    This also gets quoted a lo as a reason for a big 4, but if anything it justifies more, 'Big 3, Murray, and the rest'.

Weeks at No. 1
    Federer 310
    Djokovic 223
    Nadal 194
    Murray 41

Lleyton Hewitt spent twice as many weeks at number 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ATP_number_1_ranked_singles_tennis_players

Ever tried to criticise Murray on a tennis forum ? Terrifying if there's a Scot in the group!!

Agreed btw - Big 3 - Fed, Novak, Nadal - that order.

IMHO ten years' time it'll be Zverev leading the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Not before time

For anyone that doesn't click the link its at 12-12 in the final set btw - not like the USO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Correct decision by Wimbledon, I think.

Btw to compare Murray with Wawrinka is nonsense of the highest order.

Btw to compare Murray with Wawrinka is nonsense of the highest order.

No less nonsensical than comparing him with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No less nonsensical than comparing him with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic :)

No one is trying to state he's won as much as them. In terms of consistency and reliability, he's always been up there with them. The same could never be said about Wawrinka, or anyone else on tour for that matter.

Seriously, this isn't even a discussion. Murray's got to #1 in the world, won 14 masters, reached 11 slam finals and has a much more competitive h2h against them than anyone else on tour. Just stop.

No one is trying to state he's won as much as them. In terms of consistency and reliability, he's always been up there with them.

Sorry, you lost me there. If he's always been so 'consistent and reliable' why hasn't he won as much as them?
    Just stop.

I won't.
    I'm not disputing that over here career Murray would have been the 4th best in the world.
    But I don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept that there's only a big 3 in tennis.
    Maybe they see the same 4 players in semi finals all the time and can't accept that 3 of them are comparable and the 4th is 'best of the rest'.
    And closer to the 'rest' than the 'best'.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Sorry, you lost me there. If he's always been so 'consistent and reliable' why hasn't he won as much as them?

I won't.
    I'm not disputing that over here career Murray would have been the 4th best in the world.
    But I don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept that there's only a big 3 in tennis.
    Maybe they see the same 4 players in semi finals all the time and can't accept that 3 of them are comparable and the 4th is 'best of the rest'.
    And closer to the 'rest' than the 'best'.

"Murray has way more in common with Wawrinka than Nadal, Federer and Djokovic"..... this was your original argument. The data simply does not back that up....If Murray is "best of the rest" there is a big gap between him and "the rest"

• Advertisement

"Murray has way more in common with Wawrinka than Nadal, Federer and Djokovic"..... this was your original argument. The data simply does not back that up....If Murray is "best of the rest" there is a big gap between him and "the rest"

Again, not disagreeing with you.

It does depend on what metrics you use and I suppose on that, there will never be agreement.
    Some people dislike using the number of Grand Slams as a measure, according to which Murray would be closer to Wawrinka than the Big 3.
    Others dislike using career earnings, according to which Murray would be closer to Wawrinka than the Big 3.
    Yet more would consider his weeks spent at number 1 to be closer to the Big 3 than to Wawrinka. But mathematically, they're not.

But tennis isn't just a number crunching sport like baseball, so those of you who know the game will be able to judge Murray's ability versus the Big 3/Wawrinka better than a set of data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I think over the years there's been:
    Big 3 (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic), big gap, Murray, bigger gap, everyone else. Some have had the firepower to pull off upsets over the big 3 and Murray, but they would be upsets. Murray was close enough that they were never really major upsets when he'd beat one, but it was surprising when he could beat two of them to win tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nice wins for Tsitsipas and Khachanov over the weekend. I really think that these 2 are future GS winners, although 2019 might be a bit too early for them. You never know though, the younger generation might finally come to fruition...

Nice wins for Tsitsipas and Khachanov over the weekend. I really think that these 2 are future GS winners, although 2019 might be a bit too early for them. You never know though, the younger generation might finally come to fruition...

Only because the older generation are getting..... well..... old ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Thought the umpire was going to take the point off him too and award the game

Roger through to Swiss Indoors final - Decent chance of chalking up win number 99

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46004880

The WTA's Zverev has won Singapore, impressively not dropping a match all week. Now needs to start bringing this form to the slams.

Rog gets number 99 as well

Not looking good for Radwanska going forward, foot is injured and apparently contemplating retirement. Would be a shame if we lose her, at 29 she's still young by today's standards.

https://twitter.com/lawanda50/status/1057024580512956417

• Advertisement

I think if Djokovic gets further than Nadal this week in Paris, he'll be No. 1 next Monday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think if Djokovic gets further than Nadal this week in Paris, he'll be No. 1 next Monday?
    Now that he's won his first match that is the case, yes. Things getting interesting as Fed gets another day to recover following w/o v Raonic today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nadal withdraws from Paris Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Floppybits wrote:
    Nadal withdraws from Paris Masters.

Djokovic back to number one!

Given that Djokovic isn't defending any points in the first half of next year I'd expect him to get at least 6 months at No. 1.
    Which would put him close to Lendl/Connors/Sampras in terms of number of weeks at No. 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Given that Djokovic isn't defending any points in the first half of next year I'd expect him to get at least 6 months at No. 1.
    Which would put him close to Lendl/Connors/Sampras in terms of number of weeks at No. 1
    I'd say he'll be number 1 for quite a while. Can't see Nadal gaining points next year, he'll struggle to defend the ones he has (that aren't on clay). I also can't see Federer gaining any, and would be shocked if he managed to defend the ones he has. Nobody else is even close...

Djokovic is going to clean up next year. There is no one to touch him. I can see him winning the 4 slams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Fully agree, no-one can currently compete with him in this form

Goodness knows what he could have achieved but for that annus horribilis in 2017 and not being remotely fit for the AO this year

He'll be number 1 to stay for yonks

I can see Djokovic challenging Federers number of slam wins.  Djokovic is on 14 at the moment, with the competition as it is at moment, Federer in decline, Nadal injured more often than not and the rest either coming back from injury or not at his level I can see him winning at least 6 slams between 2019 and 2020. Realistically who is there to challenge him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. If following tennis has thought me anything, it's that a surprise is always around the corner! Although, Djokovic is playing brilliant at the moment, he is also 31 so will be more prone to the odd injury I would suspect. I also think that the next generation will make a move next year. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be No.1 for a while, but I just don't see the all-conquering Djokovic of old, especially winning 4 slams.

Advertisement