Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Bodyguard - BBC One [** Spoilers **]

  • 28-12-2017 2:44pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭ Alfred Borden


    Keeley Hawes is re-teaming with writer Jed Mercurio while we all wait for more Line of Duty.

    Their upcoming BBC One series Bodyguard will examine our contentious political climate through the eyes of a former soldier — played by Cinderella's Richard Madden — who returns home to a job with the Royalty and Specialist Protection Branch of London's Metropolitan Police.

    When David Budd (Madden) is assigned to protect a political firebrand, Home Secretary Julia Montague (Hawes), the protector may end up as the politician's deadliest foe.

    Bodyguard's ensemble cast also includes Sophie Rundle (Peaky Blinders), Gina McKee (Our Friends in the North), Rowena King (Breaking News) and Vincent Franklin (Cucumber)

    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/line-of-duty/news/a839833/line-of-duty-writer-jed-mercurio-keeley-hawes-bodyguard-bbc/

    gallery-1507155021-bodyguard1.jpg

    This could be very very good.


«13456

Comments

  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 17,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭ The Black Oil




    Been a while since I've watched a BBC drama. Some Line of Duty pedigree, so hopefully this will be good.


  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 54,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mr E


    Merged.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 17,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭ The Black Oil


    Starts Weds, August 1st.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭ Mr. Guappa


    Don't see this listed for tonight, and can't find any info on when it is actually starting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭ brian_t


    It has no air-date yet


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ dball




  • Registered Users Posts: 75,008 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1


    It might take Poldark's Sunday night 9pm slot


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭ brian_t




  • Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭ brian_t


    Starts on Sunday 26th August at 9pm according to DigiGuide with the second episode on Monday at 9pm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭ somesoldiers


    Starts tonight folks


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭ Mike Litoris


    Can't effin wait for this!!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭ Marje


    That was a great start - that first 15-20 minutes was great.

    They all look psycho to me


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭ cml387


    Being Jed Mercurio, I'd guess that not all is at appears.

    The sacked assistant is being mysteriously shadowed by a black Range Rover,and the driver appears at a "veterans for peace" meeting (incidentally black Range Rovers seem to be Jed's favourite vehicle, as seen at the end of LOD 3).

    Meanwhile the bodyguard has his own gun and would easily win a "spot the psycho" competition on his stare alone.

    You have to have an explosive start (sorry) and you were hooked from the beginning.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 17,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭ The Black Oil


    Clearly we're going to learn more about David's mental state (he's pretty isolated too) and how obsessed he becomes with Montague (Hawes is quite busy going by IMDb). I laughed at a few things, the PA and the coffee, for instance, and the mixed race line for its PFO factor. Chief Whip was an arse. And the first pic David found of Montague - she looked suitably evil. I missed the initial set up with the train, but it was good stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭ Mike Litoris


    The was, again, epic TV. And ep 2 tomorrow!


    Those first 15 mins were intense.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭ razorblunt


    I enjoyed, it's only 6 episodes so I'll probably stick with it (then again I said the same with Gunpowder).
    The coffee scene was a bit jarring though, I didn't understand the giggling, I have to say.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭ JoeA3


    I thought it was only so-so tbh.

    That coffee spilling / giggling scene was really bizarre too. Plain weird behaviour by her assistant. I guess that’ll become clearer in later episodes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 55,547 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson


    That opening 20 minutes was tense as sh1t and really good.

    Then the last 35 minutes were fairly flat and routine.

    There was enough there to bring me back for episode 2.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ✭✭✭ Lizsalander


    I enjoyed it

    I'm guessing he's going to get torn between his role and an anti-government plot by his army pals.

    Something akin to Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force


  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭ Marje


    Got a mad idea that the whole train thing was a set up for Budd to get his job with the minister to kill her off... but it does seem a tad extreme to do this when I think of it.
    The assistant spilling the coffee was part of the plan to get Montague to trust Budd.

    Nothing will be straight forward as it seems in regard to a Jed Mercurio story


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭ Marje


    Would I be right in saying Apsted and Budd did have a plan to kill Montague together?

    He has hidden the gun in case they search his place.

    What's he going to do with the information he heard about the school. I think he will bide his time and protect her for now.

    EDIT: Why do they not have a record of an ex-military officer fingerprints? Unless he burned them off before he tried to kill her.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ✭✭✭ Lizsalander


    Not sure about that sex scene

    A distinct lack of minorities in this show, the 2 token blacks/asians were directly involved in the shootout to make it look balanced.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 17,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭ The Black Oil


    The show is kinda uneven. It's not a mind feck like Line of Duty.

    I'm sure being covered in that much blood will do a lot for the Home Secretary's PR. David's personal trauma will have quadrupled by the end of the show, but riding her will take the edge off.

    And we're back to internal politics.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭ razorblunt


    Not sure about that sex scene

    A distinct lack of minorities in this show, the 2 token blacks/asians were directly involved in the shootout to make it look balanced.

    Well they're all over the place after the explosion anyway!!


    Got a bit silly post sniper. Yer man stayed on the roof far too long, casually tried to walk down to the lifts then?

    But great up until then and afterwards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 55,547 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson


    The action scenes are incredibility tense and the rest of the story line is quiet weak for me I think they will end up having one twist to many.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ Talisman


    Marje wrote: »
    Nothing will be straight forward as it seems in regard to a Jed Mercurio story
    There's a bigger game being played in the background.

    We are led to believe that Montague is power hungry and wants the PM's job - the assistant (Chanel?) an ex-husband have both said this. Her ex-husband's role as Chief Whip is to keep her in line with the party and that includes protecting the PM.

    I think the assistant who spilled the coffee was Montague's ex-husband's bit on the side. Their relationship would have been his way of keeping tabs on Montague. My reasons for thinking this was her reaction to the coffee spill - it seemed the kind of stereotypical immature reaction of the younger mistress towards something bad happening to her lover's ex. She was also collected in a Range Rover after she was escorted from the office and I think the ex-husband arrived to the scene where he abused Budd in the same vehicle.

    The beneficiary of the terror alert is the Security Service (MI-5) - Montague intends to give them sweeping surveillance powers. A host of domestic terror incidents helps smooth over any potential PR problems and her record on Iraq/Afghanistan policies makes her a perfect political candidate to be the stooge of the Security Service.

    So the other twist in the story is likely to be that the Security Service are running the terrorist cell and the head of the Security Service is playing Montague. He briefed her on the attack on the school before the counter-terrorism meeting which was some time before the event took place.

    The police not being able to identify the shooter throws up a number of possibilities, each of which could involve the Security Service. It could be that the shooter was scrubbed from the system / the police don't have access to the database containing his details / the results of the search were altered.

    Budd's PTSD friend could be an unwitting pawn of the Security Service - attributing the attack on Montague to a homegrown "Lone Wolf" will reinforce the need for increasing the surveillance powers of the Security Service. If his military background became public it would change the dynamic of the political discussion.

    There are some interesting threads to the story and hopefully we'll get to see something of the police investigation because I think the story around the counter-terrorism players will get boring. The extra curricular activities of Montague and Budd is just a nonsense storyline and nothing new.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,810 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    Watched it and enjoyed it, not up there with line of duty but still pretty excellent Keeley Hawes is terrific as always.

    Your man's kids aren't having much luck are they!


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,810 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    Talisman wrote: »
    There's a bigger game being played in the background.

    We are led to believe that Montague is power hungry and wants the PM's job - the assistant (Chanel?) an ex-husband have both said this. Her ex-husband's role as Chief Whip is to keep her in line with the party and that includes protecting the PM.

    I think the assistant who spilled the coffee was Montague's ex-husband's bit on the side. Their relationship would have been his way of keeping tabs on Montague. My reasons for thinking this was her reaction to the coffee spill - it seemed the kind of stereotypical immature reaction of the younger mistress towards something bad happening to her lover's ex. She was also collected in a Range Rover after she was escorted from the office and I think the ex-husband arrived to the scene where he abused Budd in the same vehicle.

    The beneficiary of the terror alert is the Security Service (MI-5) - Montague intends to give them sweeping surveillance powers. A host of domestic terror incidents helps smooth over any potential PR problems and her record on Iraq/Afghanistan policies makes her a perfect political candidate to be the stooge of the Security Service.

    So the other twist in the story is likely to be that the Security Service are running the terrorist cell and the head of the Security Service is playing Montague. He briefed her on the attack on the school before the counter-terrorism meeting which was some time before the event took place.

    The police not being able to identify the shooter throws up a number of possibilities, each of which could involve the Security Service. It could be that the shooter was scrubbed from the system / the police don't have access to the database containing his details / the results of the search were altered.

    Budd's PTSD friend could be an unwitting pawn of the Security Service - attributing the attack on Montague to a homegrown "Lone Wolf" will reinforce the need for increasing the surveillance powers of the Security Service. If his military background became public it would change the dynamic of the political discussion.

    There are some interesting threads to the story and hopefully we'll get to see something of the police investigation because I think the story around the counter-terrorism players will get boring. The extra curricular activities of Montague and Budd is just a nonsense storyline and nothing new.
    That all sounds pretty spot on to me.

    Some of them don't really count as twists thought tbh. Especially security service probably being linked to terrorist cell, that seemed to be sign posted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭ Spook_ie


    gmisk wrote: »
    That all sounds pretty spot on to me.

    Some of them don't really count as twists thought tbh. Especially security service probably being linked to terrorist cell, that seemed to be sign posted.


    I'd view that signpost the same way as a single pole direction sign in the countryside, always pointing in the wrong direction.

    Given that the police have now asked Budd to spy on his boss for them, even to the point of offering covert surveillance gadgets, I wouldn't bet against them being behind it.

    Only thing I can't fit in anywhere is Budd's not telling anyone he knew the sniper.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 17,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭ The Black Oil


    I presume it's so that no heat is brought to bear on the veteran's support group/dissenters.


Advertisement