Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs - Why?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

Out of curiosity. What would be the most widely used drug in Irish niteclubs, apart from alcohol?

Funk that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=8s&v=iOFKU_hwj2o

I recall London clubs toward the end of a month when we were Stoney broke and I brought in a few prepacked items in tin foil

I brought in a small back pack .... bouncers asking .... what have you in there Irish ... a bomb ?

At two hour intervals to 6 am I would go to the cloak room and ask for my bag and take out a small item wrapped in tin foil and I would be getting a few looks .... WTF ?

I had cut a big groove into brown bread and it was laden with honey :-)
    Raw energy man on the cheap

Dancing to 6am. The fun. All the great clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

FTA69 wrote: »
    Ecstasy.

I’d disagree with the above too by the way, unless you were in a club geared toward dance music then in all probability the drug of choice across the country would be cocaine.

Cocaine is much more expensive though so not nearly as common among young people in my experience

When I was young :D (15-20 years ago), cocaine was too expensive, and generally not worth the trouble it brought with it. The drugs of choice were E, Speed, and cannabis. Really depended on the clubs you were going to. Cannabis for the trance/house clubs and E/Speed for the faster dance or heavier techno events. Lsd/Microdots for outdoor raves were also very popular although it really depended on your circle. Dunno what it's like in Ireland now though.

Abroad, all manner of pills/tabs are very popular. Cocaine remains a bit expensive to base your whole evening on, unless you're staying in a brothel. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

worded wrote: »
    I recall London clubs toward the end of a month when we were Stoney broke and I brought in a few prepacked items in tin foil

I brought in a small back pack .... bouncers asking .... what have you in there Irish ... a bomb ?

At two hour intervals to 6 am I would go to the cloak room and ask for my bag and take out a small item wrapped in tin foil and I would be getting a few looks .... WTF ?

I had cut a big groove into brown bread and it was laden with honey :-)
    Raw energy man on the cheap

Dancing to 6am. The fun. All the great clubs

Could you not just have said ‘I used to take brown bread and honey into the clubs and eat some every few hours’ instead of all the irrelevant waffle and padding??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cocaine is much more expensive though so not nearly as common among young people in my experience

Depends on the type of person too like. I used to do the door in a couple of clubs that had student nights midweek (biggest pain in the hole ever) and drugs simply weren't an issue, it was all about the booze and sh*tty chart music. MDMA (pills were kind out of fashion at that time) tended to be confined to niche groups of young people who went to dance nights and the like.

However in the vast majority of late bars and nightclubs I worked in people were 25-35 and it was all coke, very few people would be in chewing the face off themselves.

Coke isn't that prohibitively expensive in London, it's usually around 50-60 a gram which is available to plenty. An evening of pints and beak is standard across huge swathes of people here regardless of class.

Could you not just have said ‘I used to take brown bread and honey into the clubs and eat some every few hours’ instead of all the irrelevant waffle and padding??!!

No. Take a chill pill there

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

There is very little I like about clubs, the music, the crowds, the price of drinks, lack of a place to talk. So I understand where the original poster is coming from. I rarely have a good time in clubs and I'm okay with it. It's happened on a few occasions when I'd be out with friends and it gets to 1 or 2 in the morning, the group would go to a club and I'd just get the Nitelink home. From past experience I'd guess that it would be a waste of money and energy to go and am usually happy enough with my decision in the morning when I'm not in bits. 
    Clubs aren't for everyone so if you don't like them then don't go to them, it's usually late enough into the night that you'd end up in one so it's not like you can't see your friends at all. Just not during the sloppy moments of a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

This guy really hits the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have always liked going to nightclubs and late night bars. Because of the variety of ppl you see and meet there. Unless patrons are blind drunk they will be in a good mood and thus chatty. I'm a extrovert by nature and wouldn't think twice about approaching ppl I don't know in the hope it might initiate a conversion. I do like going to non noisy bars with my friends but sometimes I find we get so wound up in conversation that we might as well just drank and had that conversion at home.

I understand that introverts might not feel so comfortable in a noisy nightclub. One good development in recent years is smoking areas so even if there is no quiet-ish area in the venue conducive to conversation at least there is the possibility of that there.

Having said that there are ppl in nightclubs that I would stay well clear of. Professional nightclubers as I would call them, ppl who take themselves too seriously and are only there to show off their fashion sense or whatever they get out of it. I find these types much more common in city nightclubs.

So yeah, as a previous poster said, if you don't like them, don't go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement