Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs - Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Good question OP. I was in one - once - in Leeson Street circa 1976 and I've never been in one since. I used to like to drink my self unconscious at the weekend back then but not in a horrible, overcrowded basement with loads of married men looking for ... A good 'old man's' pub with sensible closing time does me now - as it did back then - and I no longer feel the need to drink myself senseless. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I used to go to the raves back in the day. Some if the best nights of my life were in Dublin city's clubs.

I've also been in some proper meat markets, crammed in to a sweatbox full of drunk culchies itching for a scrap. Fcuking slow sets and all. Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Birneybau wrote: »
    I can do that? :confused:

Yeah but I'm guessing you look down and grab your lad first though. Hollywood tends to skip that bit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Title says it all really.

Why do people actually regularly go to nightclubs? I have a few issues with them.

1) The culture. I was out last night in a fairly large town. Was in the club and decided to take a moment to look around me. Women being sexually harassed, people pissed and chatting s***e, people vomiting due to excessive alcohols/drug consumption and music so loud I can’t hear what anyone is saying. That’s not even getting into the whole lads squaring up to each other because they feel the need to prove themselves and their caveman-like toughness. There aren’t a lot of reasons to start brawling in public and “that prick staring me out of it” definitely isn’t one of them.

2) Prices. This particular club, which wasn’t in Dublin, charged me 12€ entry fee . Drinks were, as always, ridiculously overpriced and I genuinely don’t know how people do this on a weekly basis. I’m a college student in Dublin so many of my peers regularly go to these and I find myself questioning their sanity if I’m honest. Taxis are another thing. Ended up standing on the way home in one last night as it was so packed. Talk about overpriced, eh?

3) The morning after. I’ve gone through extended periods of my life where I kept alcohol to a minimum. Mentally and physically, the benefits are enormous. I probably drank a little bit too much last night and woke up this morning feeling like absolute rubbish. Alcohol is a depressant and I really feel it. I’m more anxious and stressed than I’ve been in quite some time and it’s due to overpriced alcohol. (No one forces me to drink naturally, but clubbing sober would make me suicidal ha!). People are just generally less productive and can’t funtion as well after such a late night.

A few other points:
    - It’s so repetitive and mind numbingly boring.
    - Queueing is a disaster
    - Personal space doesn’t exist in clubs
    - Clubs usually have sauna-like temperatures and it’s horrible
    - Clubbing should not be anyone’s hobby, it’s just laughable

This just about sums up my attitudes towards clubs. I can only assume that I’m an outlier here who doesn’t understand the real purpose of clubs. I assume that is to get laid, but that doesn’t happen very often from what I see. Also I’d question if the odds of getting laid are worth wasting time, energy and money on a club.

Why then, are clubs packed every single weekend?

I say you're a barrel of laughs on a night out

Nightclubs in Ireland tend to be an extension of the bar scene. TBh I always felt that nightclubs in Ireland were still one step away from a school organized dance or such. Struggles to get to the bar, no table service, etc. Too much focus on getting drunk, being an asshole (for both genders) and puking/fighting at the end.

OP. Don't judge all nightclubs by your experiences in Ireland. There are incredibly good nightclubs in other countries, and honestly, the attitudes of the people you meet are often far better. Personally, I disliked nightclubs in Ireland/Europe but got to love them in Asia and the bigger cities in the US. Nightclubs in Eastern Europe are also heaps of fun if you don't behave like an idiot foreigner. I also preferred the nightclubs that cost a bit more, had professional staff and 'encouraged' people not to make trouble. Good music, quality alcohol, and people dress up to go out (rather than arriving in a tracksuit)

Lastly, there are nightclubs that cater to different kinds of people/music. Play around and find something that suits. I tend to still go to the nightclubs with the more trance/electronic/disco feel, or the more expensive jazz fusion house clubs. Older crowd for the most part and no trouble. I'm in my early 40s and I still enjoy it. It's not just a scene for 20 somethings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not a fan and wouldn't miss them if they were all banned, but don't have the hatred some do for them. You go to them to have a few drinks, dance to cheesy music and to get the ride, noting wrong with that whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Enjoyed them until I was about 25, always preferred house parties or pubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mrtestosterone

OP, you're a student, get a grip and leave the stress and anxiety for when you have a job and are trying to pay for a mortgage and the costs of childminding.

Anxiety must be up there with gluten intolerance as one of the pandemics of the post 2010 world...

Oh yes children minding because every woman has to have children right? Nice generalisation there buddy.

On topic, I hate night clubs because it feels like a prison with security guards everywhere watching your every move. You can literally compare it to prisoners being let out in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I approach them initially as a place to have a few more drinks. I don't go in for the hype so much and I wouldn't que or pay a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

It's not all nightclub's fault that you went to a shít nightclub.

I love clubbing but avoid 'nightclubs' like you described like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The vast majority of people aren't dry sh1tes?

Do you therefore think that if you aren't out on a Saturday night you are a dry ****e? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Go to Berghain in Berlin OP and come back to me... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Horrid, zoo like places. But ever since I stopped going to them my sex life has been near nullified, so there must be some kind of method in the madness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think the scientific and sociological answer to your question is that some fellas like gee

(And some ladies like mickey.)

(Also some like a mix or whatever you're having yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Fieldog wrote: »

Stands in a queue for hours & doesn't get in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

How the heck did you stand in a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Two different types of club. 
    Proper music orientated place or standard booze meat market. Both can be great in my experience but they can also be like you described. Berghain was definitely one of the better experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Nightclubs in Ireland tend to be an extension of the bar scene. TBh I always felt that nightclubs in Ireland were still one step away from a school organized dance or such. Struggles to get to the bar, no table service, etc. Too much focus on getting drunk, being an asshole (for both genders) and puking/fighting at the end.

OP. Don't judge all nightclubs by your experiences in Ireland. There are incredibly good nightclubs in other countries, and honestly, the attitudes of the people you meet are often far better. Personally, I disliked nightclubs in Ireland/Europe but got to love them in Asia and the bigger cities in the US. Nightclubs in Eastern Europe are also heaps of fun if you don't behave like an idiot foreigner. I also preferred the nightclubs that cost a bit more, had professional staff and 'encouraged' people not to make trouble. Good music, quality alcohol, and people dress up to go out (rather than arriving in a tracksuit)

Lastly, there are nightclubs that cater to different kinds of people/music. Play around and find something that suits. I tend to still go to the nightclubs with the more trance/electronic/disco feel, or the more expensive jazz fusion house clubs. Older crowd for the most part and no trouble. I'm in my early 40s and I still enjoy it. It's not just a scene for 20 somethings.
    Wanky table service clubs are the absolute worst though. Knobs paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Used to have issues with drinking too much in the early 90's so only used to go to them for that reason, apart from what else could happen but rarely did, most of the time I found them boring which used to be the gateway for more drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Clubs are fun for a bit when you get drunk, I always get the urge to dance a bit and let off a bit of steam when Ive drank, and lots of other people do too obviously! Women enjoy getting dressed up for an event. And lots of people go to clubs to try and get laid
    Some people might go for music..maybe..
    I assume those reasons are why they get most of their business

I really don't like them anymore though mostly for the exact same reasons you listed, they just seem really immature and pointless to me usually. House parties are so much more fun.Not as crowded, get to have audible conversations with people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you don't like the tunes it's an utterly ghastly place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its no co-incidence at all that as people grow up, get more disposable income, more agency, and tend to become more confident about what they do and do not like that they become far less likely to go to nightclubs. Its not age, its experience.

Pass an inspection at the door, pay a cover charge, join a scrum at the bar for the privilege of spending more money and then be unable to speak to your friends? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Yeah he’ll moan when he gets refused entry and wasted money on a flight and accommodation to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I could only imagine the length of the whinge posted if that happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

OP, you sound like you're at least 20 years too young to be a grumpy old man... Is there such a thing as a grumpy young man :confused:

Anseo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Gone off nightclubs myself or at least the usual types we have in Ireland.
    Think what mainly put me off was the crowds,lack of seating and the fact that most lack quite areas,So conversation cant be done without screaming back and forth.
    Think they need to up there game.
    Doesn't help that i am getting older either i suppose:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was in one last week for the first time in years, no slow dance at the end of the night anymore.

It used to be a great opportunity to get the shift

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Was in one last week for the first time in years, no slow dance at the end of the night anymore.

It used to be a great opportunity to get the shift

That wasn't a slow dance, that was the national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I love how you didn't say 'go in to Berghain' as most people don't even reach that stage lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

besides the fact that you pay a cover charge only to be let inside so you can pay for (overpriced) drinks, the music is usually absolute crap too! to make the experience worse then theres this whole 'see and be seen' feel to it so that you have to dress up to even get passed the doormen.
    i would LOVE to out dancing but i want to do it comfortably, in runners. and i want to do it without having to worry about the fact that i actually cant dance at all.
    can somebody please open a club where jeans and runners and arms flailing all over the place are welcomed, heck, even encouraged? pretty please?

Advertisement