Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call your 2018 goal by Dec 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

My Goals are

Running
    break some PB's mainly my 5k time then my HM PB, my marathon PB I am confident I will see a good improvement for DCM2018. lay down the groundwork for an ultra and find one to do in 2019.

Cycling,
    Improve my average pace and increase my distance aiming for a charity cycle from Paris to Eindhoven in September ( become stronger overall and more brick sessions)

Adventure racing
    go back and redo the ones I completed this year and hopefully see a good improvement in time, take part in some longer ones nothing set in stone yet but a few I have my sights on.

Weight
    lose the rest and reach target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Great to see a few newbies as well as old faithfuls- best of luck to all hitting their goals in 2018! The race has already started... nothing here that can't be achieved with hard work... Happy New Year to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Bit late to the party seeing as it is Jan 1 and all, but I’ll join in. Goals for 2018 are part of longer term IM target before I am 50.

So this year’s goal is to complete 2+ Olympic distance triathlons, 1+ HM, a long cycle (ring of kerry/clare-type event) and the 2k distance of the Gaelforce Fjord swim. In addition, I’ve the usual goals of keeping the belly at bay and staying injury-free

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Long time lurker with the occasional question.

Goals for this year:

IMUK - first full - will be happy to finish.
    To put a race goal out there - want to try get out of the water around the the 1-hour mark.

Enjoy the training, keep it consistent and keep the injuries at bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

After my first triathlon season last year pretty much all my new years resolutions this year are triathlon orientated and mainly swim orientated. Focused on technique all of last year so aim to focus on speed and endurance this year. I'm going to try and get at least one swim in with the tri club per week. Hoping to go from 16 minutes 750 metres to at least under the 15 mins.

Going to attempt my first Olympic distance, hopefully the Joey Hannon if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

A bit late but I wanted to set something down to kick me into gear.

Completed my first year of Triathlon last year with very little cycle/run experience and having not swam properly in years. I completed 2 sprints and 1 olympic.

This year I want to do two 70.3s with the aim to look at a full IM next year. Im still trying to decide between Dun Laoghaire or just go with the two Kerry 70.3s in Waterville and the Lost Sheep(any advice around this would be appreciated). No specific time targets, just want to finish and would like to improve for the second race.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Finish IM TX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

More structure, more discipline.

Sub 5:30 in Celtic Warrior 70.3
    Sub 6:00 in IM Dun Laoghaire 70.3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

Late to the party but what the hell......

Goal No 1. - Start running again. I haven't run since Nov. 2016 when I damaged my hamstring. It needs surgery to fix but I haven't been arsed getting it done. I need to sort it out and even if I get back to running 5&10kms I'd be happy.

Goal No 2. - Swim 500,000m this year. Might be a stretch depending on work issues and time commitments but I hit 444km in 2017 with a few weeks of little or no swimming during the tear so might be doable.

Goal No 3. - Swim sub 25 minute 1,500m in the pool (LC). Current PB is 25.40 so hope to get close. Will have a shot in Limerick masters I think.

Goal No. 4 - Swim a 10km skins. I DNF'd in Lough Dan last year at only 3km with cramp which took me weeks to mentally get over, up until then I'd never had an unplanned DNF. In training I had swam a 3hr skins river swim so I should have done better.

Goal No. 5 - Do more Leinster OW swim races this year.
    Simple enough!

Off we go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Im new to this sport, Iv never swam or Ran distance before. I've cycled a small bit (casual mountain biking the odd time) I started training 4 months ago from scratch and have put in 5/6 days a week non stop. Swimming turning out to be very difficult still to get times down under 2 mins/100m. I plan on doing 8 races mixture of sprints and Olympic distance and the Dublin Ironman. Training is going well but lots to do still.

Goals -
    Run 5k 22 mins
    Run 10k 45 mins

Swim 750m 14 mins
    Swim 1500m 28 mins

Cycle 20k 35 mins
    Cycle 40k 1hr 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

11 days late but sure better late than never. I have a good reason, I was waiting for the UTMB lotto results today so that I could call my goals. No cigar for me unfortunately so here's the goals. I've broken them into two categories, one is generic and the other are racing related goals

1) Enjoy training and racing as much as I did in 2017 cause it was a top class year
    2) Join a running club and get some faster sessions done every week
    3) Get back on the bike and learn to love it again
    4) Get on the podium at a multi-sport/adventure race

5) Race the Coast2Coast (used it as a training event in two previous attempts)
    6) Do the Wicklow Way again and come out of it less beaten up than last time while having a good crack at a podium
    7) Top 5 (female) in Quest 24
    8) Do at least three ultra trail races in a country that's not Ireland (top 10 female in 1 of them)

Neady83 wrote: »
    11 days late but sure better late than never. I have a good reason, I was waiting for the UTMB lotto results today so that I could call my goals. No cigar for me unfortunately so here's the goals. I've broken them into two categories, one is generic and the other are racing related goals

1) Enjoy training and racing as much as I did in 2017 cause it was a top class year
    2) Join a running club and get some faster sessions done every week
    3) Get back on the bike and learn to love it again
    4) Get on the podium at a multi-sport/adventure race

5) Race the Coast2Coast (used it as a training event in two previous attempts)
    6) Do the Wicklow Way again and come out of it less beaten up than last time while having a good crack at a podium
    7) Top 5 (female) in Quest 24
    8) Do at least three ultra trail races in a country that's not Ireland (top 10 female in 1 of them)

Top class goals Neady and all going to plan I will see you at Coast2Coast and quest 24 although 12 hours for me as a first one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    A bit late but I wanted to set something down to kick me into gear.

Completed my first year of Triathlon last year with very little cycle/run experience and having not swam properly in years. I completed 2 sprints and 1 olympic.

This year I want to do two 70.3s with the aim to look at a full IM next year. Im still trying to decide between Dun Laoghaire or just go with the two Kerry 70.3s in Waterville and the Lost Sheep(any advice around this would be appreciated). No specific time targets, just want to finish and would like to improve for the second race.

i guess it really depends what you want if you want to spend 1 day for gimmicks and waste of time ( in which case you would calll it entertainment ) than the ironman brand is for you . if you want a friendly atmospere with a nice old school friendly vibe you do the hardman . if you are from cork and kerry its a no brainer as the 2 races will cost you less than branded race if you are from dublin unless you are camping its going to cost you pretty much the same than dublin so it depends what you want.
    ironman is entrtainment at very high level ,if you like it than what they offer its the best in buisness apart from challenge roth , hardman is simplicity and a real positve vibe have a good chance that the race directer knows your name after the race than there is no better than the hardman.its just the most relaxing atmoshere you could wish for .

course wise hard to say i guess overall the "easiest" of the 3 would be the lost sheep as bike course is the shortest . and there should not be much between dublin and hardman maybe hardman course 5 min slower , i have no idea.
    the great thing is you have real good choices what you want to do as all the 3 races you mention do something really really well. the lost sheep for instance has by far the best price purse per 100 participants and its after party is prob the best in the country now .

An Ironman PB.
    This will be my second IM.

Good luck with your Ironman training M :) and your brick session tomorrow evening.

I had a cup of tea and a brief chat with you on Saturday and I didn't even know it. Must catch up with you next time I'm in Ballina :)

p.s. would love to follow your training if you fancy starting a log here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 even a summary log! C'mon Shell to Run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I think you might be being a bit hard on the Dublin half Ironman Peter. Yep there is some gimmicks but your racing on closed roads and the atmosphere the last few years has been great. If you want to 'race' it might not be the best one but it definitely ticks a lot of the boxes for a lot of people. Not saying I would pick it out of the ones mentioned but it does have some stuff going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

joey100 wrote: »
    I think you might be being a bit hard on the Dublin half Ironman Peter. Yep there is some gimmicks but your racing on closed roads and the atmosphere the last few years has been great. If you want to 'race' it might not be the best one but it definitely ticks a lot of the boxes for a lot of people. Not saying I would pick it out of the ones mentioned but it does have some stuff going for it.
    I say they are the best in the business for what they do.
    And I say everyvody has a choice and we have really good choices in Ireland currently that everybody finds a race they like.
    If I had one problem with I M it's the fact that monopolies are never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Good luck with your Ironman training M :) and your brick session tomorrow evening.

I had a cup of tea and a brief chat with you on Saturday and I didn't even know it. Must catch up with you next time I'm in Ballina :)

Well it's only now I'm putting a face to the log!!
    Lovely to meet such a legend. Very enjoyable half marathon right on my doorstep!!

Now if someone was to come up with a good title for my log (Slow Ironman that it will be) I might even consider it Shotgunmcos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

peter kern wrote: »
    i guess it really depends what you want if you want to spend 1 day for gimmicks and waste of time ( in which case you would calll it entertainment ) than the ironman brand is for you . if you want a friendly atmospere with a nice old school friendly vibe you do the hardman . if you are from cork and kerry its a no brainer as the 2 races will cost you less than branded race if you are from dublin unless you are camping its going to cost you pretty much the same than dublin so it depends what you want.
    ironman is entrtainment at very high level ,if you like it than what they offer its the best in buisness apart from challenge roth , hardman is simplicity and a real positve vibe have a good chance that the race directer knows your name after the race than there is no better than the hardman.its just the most relaxing atmoshere you could wish for .

course wise hard to say i guess overall the "easiest" of the 3 would be the lost sheep as bike course is the shortest . and there should not be much between dublin and hardman maybe hardman course 5 min slower , i have no idea.
    the great thing is you have real good choices what you want to do as all the 3 races you mention do something really really well. the lost sheep for instance has by far the best price purse per 100 participants and its after party is prob the best in the country now .

Thanks Peter. Thats what I had been thinking alright for this year, will get more bang for my buck and as im based down in Kerry would take a lot of the planning out of it, as well as allowing me enter a few sprints/olympics for the same price.

Ill save the big IM branded event with all the bells and whistle's for my full next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

reidman wrote: »
    Finish IM TX

And done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

can't remember if I actually posted my goal originally but I signed up to a Sprint Tri last January - I had done a few try a tri events, and an adventure race or two, but this was whole new game with the 700m swim. Trained on my own & in gym.

Got to the stage where I was actually sick with nerves in the pool a few weeks ago. I got to the changing rooms, changed, walked on pool deck and turned and walked out again. 14 lengths of UL pool seemed too daunting. left it a few days and headed back there again, and everything just clicked into place.

So, I did the Joey Hannan Sprint Tri in UL at the weekend and absolutely loved it. I had 3 goals - #1 get to the finish line on my own two feet and hopefully be running/hobbling, #2 get under 2 hours if possible (I'm a terribly slow runner) and #3 if I was last, I wouldn't delay the marshals too much.

My swim wasn't quite a disaster but I got a bit overwhelmed after 200m and had a minor panic. Took a breather, adjusted myself, deep breath, and took off again. The cycle was great, I felt fabulous. Despite feeling like packing in the run and just walking the whole thing, I kept it going, finished in my time and smiled at the finish line. Felt like a champion tbh.

Now I need to find a swim masters group or similiar - next year's finish line is in sight and I want to do the "Swim a Mile" challenge too.

can't remember if I actually posted my goal originally but I signed up to a Sprint Tri last January - I had done a few try a tri events, and an adventure race or two, but this was whole new game with the 700m swim. Trained on my own & in gym.

Got to the stage where I was actually sick with nerves in the pool a few weeks ago. I got to the changing rooms, changed, walked on pool deck and turned and walked out again. 14 lengths of UL pool seemed too daunting. left it a few days and headed back there again, and everything just clicked into place.

So, I did the Joey Hannan Sprint Tri in UL at the weekend and absolutely loved it. I had 3 goals - #1 get to the finish line on my own two feet and hopefully be running/hobbling, #2 get under 2 hours if possible (I'm a terribly slow runner) and #3 if I was last, I wouldn't delay the marshals too much.

My swim wasn't quite a disaster but I got a bit overwhelmed after 200m and had a minor panic. Took a breather, adjusted myself, deep breath, and took off again. The cycle was great, I felt fabulous. Despite feeling like packing in the run and just walking the whole thing, I kept it going, finished in my time and smiled at the finish line. Felt like a champion tbh.

Now I need to find a swim masters group or similiar - next year's finish line is in sight and I want to do the "Swim a Mile" challenge too.

Well done and congratulations you need to start a log :)

Nice one thesimpsons, I've attempted swimming a few times so I can only imagine how tough your first tri must be - delighted that you enjoyed it.

There hasn't been a new log around here in quite a while, would you consider logging your venture into the world of tri? It's a great way to get some feedback.

I got a bit overwhelmed after 200m and had a minor panic. Took a breather, adjusted myself, deep breath, and took off again.

The exact correct thing to do- once breathing goes, everything goes. You swam smart. Well done on becoming a swimmer, its fantastic to see adults taking it up as a sport.

Kurt.Godel wrote: »

For myself I want a top 5 AG ranking in the NS, brought about mainly by consistency in training. This year I have a headstart on the usual resolutions to quit drink and lose weight, so staying injury free should allow better racing. Along the way, a medal at the National LC Champs in March in the 1,500m will provide focus and feedback. Lesser swimming goals include a 1:0x 100free, a 30s 50free, and a general Do More Volume. A shinier medal at the Aquathlon AG Champs than this years silver would be nice!
    Biking- I'm happy to maintain and continue, no specific goals.
    Running- better 18:30 standalone 5k and 39min standalone 10k... with an aggressive weight target of 82kg.
    Easy to write this stuff down! :D

Very easy to write down but sometimes writing down will help with focus... the NS campaign will begin soon but a bronze in the 1500m LC Champs and gold in the Aquathlon AG Champs are a good start to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good stuff...that was worth the wait - well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Long time lurker with the occasional question.

Goals for this year:

IMUK - first full - will be happy to finish.
    To put a race goal out there - want to try get out of the water around the the 1-hour mark.

IMUK - first full - Done (12:55)

Swim 1-hour mark. - 1:10 for 4,127m, happy with that. As training went on I pulled back on this, and changed it to be as quick as possible while also being comfortable getting out of the water.

I had my plan and I stuck to it, enjoying the structure of the weekly schedule. Towards the end I started getting weekly rubs, so feel this helped with the injury prevention

Plan for the next few months is to 1) maintain the swim with some technique adjustments, 2)strengthen the bike leg, as this is where I want to see biggest improvements, and 3) keep up the running, but overall - keep up the enjoyment factor

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Tibulus wrote: »
    Copenhagen sub 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

You can't just leave that there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Not wanting to go too far OT, but was thinking of Copenhagen as a 1st IM in a few years...would you recommend?

Advertisement