Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bargain on hitachi tvs at argos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Don’t know whether to pull the trigger. I’ve a 40inch plasma (3D). Goes to 1080p etc. Have it around 6/7 years . It’s starting to turn on and off and back on every now and again. Would it be a good upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ones a newer model than the other. Think they went from one leg in the centre to 2 legs or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

mad m wrote: »
    Don’t know whether to pull the trigger. I’ve a 40inch plasma (3D). Goes to 1080p etc. Have it around 6/7 years . It’s starting to turn on and off and back on every now and again. Would it be a good upgrade?

is it a samsung ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭chicorytip

NIMAN wrote:
    I know it's made by Vestel, and that Hitachi is now just like Sharp, JVC, Sanyo, Philips etc, a brand that's been bought to fool the customer into thinking they are getting a top brand when they aren't. They sold their badges years back, and a lot of them are all the same under different cases.

I am surprised to see Philips mentioned on that list. Does it no longer manufacture TV's "in house"? Its products have always been of high quality and durable, particularly hi-fi equipment.

• Advertisement

hop2it wrote: »
    is it a samsung ?

Panasonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

chicorytip wrote: »
    I am surprised to see Philips mentioned on that list. Does it no longer manufacture TV's "in house"? Its products have always been of high quality and durable, particularly hi-fi equipment.

No, they let vestel make the entry level models....like 15 years ago and then sold the whole TV Unit to TPV Technology in chunks starting about 10 years ago.

They're big in lighting and making healthcare scanners like CTs but everything else with their name on it is dirt, especially grooming products, pure garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would it be the one on richer has the smart remote?

Don't think so. It has smartphone remote which is an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Got one of these, ooft... :P

https://new.powercity.ie/product/55MU700

Can't wait to get a chance to take a look... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

mad m wrote:
    Panasonic.

I've a Panny plasma too. The g10. Absolutely brilliant set. Take a look at the power consumption difference between a plasma and a LCD though.

I doubt you could get it fixed cheaply even though it's probably a fivers worth of capacitors on the way out. Someone would probably charge you a packet to fix it.

Pique wrote: »
    I've a Panny plasma too. The g10. Absolutely brilliant set. Take a look at the power consumption difference between a plasma and a LCD though.

I doubt you could get it fixed cheaply even though it's probably a fivers worth of capacitors on the way out. Someone would probably charge you a packet to fix it.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, either get the LG 43 inch or ride my luck with this Plasma. It’s been faultless up until recently. It only shuts off and on maybe 3-4 times a week. But then again the next time it might not come back on

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, either get the LG 43 inch or ride my luck with this Plasma. It’s been faultless up until recently. It only shuts off and on maybe 3-4 times a week. But then again the next time it might not come back on

Try the Panasonic repair centre on Nangor Rd. I had a few things fixed by him, quite reasonable, deposit to look at it then he quotes to fix. If you have no cost for delivery/collection I'd say it could be reasonable enough. He's a real electronics type guy, worked in a TV factory in the 80's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

I have a hitachi 4k 50 inch tv.

Great tv for the price. Smart os is great. Plex is on it. A lot of the premium brands dont have it.

Sounds is good and it looks great to.ihad a hitachi previously which i bought for Argos in 2010 and got 6 years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AFAIK, you can only buy Hitachi tv in argos, it's an exclusive brand to them now. They own the rights to the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I have a 48" Hitachi i picked up on sale earlier this year- love it. It's serving exactly the purpose i bought it for:

-Main viewing area where there's no need for HDR (Sky box, Netflix, Hulu, HBO)
    -Criticism of sound is across the board with MOST flat panel TV's, always use an external sound option
    -Compared to my "higher end" LG, there's little between them picture wise, few extra bells on the LG granted, but nothing to make or break

Look, for the price, of you want a tidy price with a quality picture it's absolutely worth it. Tight budgets can really benefit from it, if you can stretch a little more, Hisense for the extras would be a noble purchase too.

-This past year a group of us watched Wrestlemania on the set and they were blown away. Picture is quality, even on SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Thanks to all the advice here, in the end I got the LG 43UJ634V at Currys for 399. The sale seems to still be on, maybe not the greatest sale, but not a bad price either. So far I'm very happy and I can confirm it does have a Satellite tuner.

I read through the manual, but I have a couple of questions if anyone has a similar LG TV:

Is there an easy way to switch between Satellite and Terrestrial TV. From home there's an option for Live TV, but that brings you to the one you used last - Satellite or Terrestrial. I can switch back using the menu, but it won't be an easy option for other members of the family.

Is there a type or size limit for the external USB storage device? Can you use a portable USB HD and is there a max storage size?

Is there any easy way to edit the Satellite channels, as it's is FTA, not FreSat? (It looks like I may need to redo my setup listing my country as the UK to get FreeSat, but I don't know what that will do to my Saorview.)

Finally Curry's website advertises Saorview Play - "Saorview Play to help you catch up. Offering access to over 60 TV channels and 12 HD channels, Saorview Play also lets you scroll back in your TV guide to watch shows from the last seven days on selected channels.", which doesn't seem to exist and if it did, there wouldn't be 60 TV and 12 HD channels.

Advertisement