Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Christmas sales!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Mr E wrote: »
    Brown Thomas this morning. BT sales take prices down from "overpriced" to the "same as everywhere else".

Why is that person covering their face? Are they planning on robbing the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I haven't been to the boxing day sales in years. Always seems a bit pointless now that internet prices make such things nearly redundant.

No idea what this Boxing Day you speak of is all about

Anyway I agree that, in a world where everyone has a phone and is connected literally constantly on social media, there is zero reason why these sales can’t be conducted online

People can shop away to their hearts content, Turkey sambo in the other hand. No manic, no panic.... Asking minimum wage workers to pay premium taxi prices on Stephens day to get to work before 6am, sacrificing Christmas Day to be in bed by 9 is (and I don’t say this lightly) a fucking disgrace, almost as much so as the gullible feeders and enablers who pander to this shite year in year out.

What annoys me most is retailers who have no issue ramming Christmas down your throat before Halloween, making a complete season out of it, yet when it comes down to it, here’s one poxy day off, and it’s hardly a day off at that when your up and stupid o’clock for Work next day. If you work/study in Dublin and come from cork, you literally can’t even go home for Christmas if you don’t drive

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Post Christmas sales remind me of this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Two men are first through the door at a BT sale....

The world I once knew is dead.

I hope they give the place a good scrub after letting those plebs run amock through the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Might be someone who is not supposed to have money to spend. Would love to know if the first lady spent the €1K after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I did see that BT video seeing some people's hands blocking their faces. I would ask what the hell are you doing in a shop on a day like this if you don't want to be filmed going into it in the first place. This type of sh1t does defeat the purpose of actually going into the sales in a physical high street shop from buying something that you really need for yourself. I was looking up Golden Discs on Google this evening and I noticed that their physical shops are also closed today. Well done to them for giving that nice gesture for their staff members. I don't know how long their staff will be back at work with them for the new year though.

The longer you support these types of businesses like Golden Discs along with others who are closed today in Ireland; the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The longer you support these types of businesses like Golden Discs along with others who are closed today in Ireland; the better.

Funnily enough I know a good few people who work with the retailers that closed Today and I know those who work with those who opened and those with the ones that opened are much happier/nicer places to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.S wrote: »
    Different areas of the shop to get whatever product they had in mind, it's all limited stock so the quicker you get in the better choice / chance you have!
    "Bargains"
    Probably to the exact item they want and hoping it's reduced.

So they queue up in the early hours in the off chance that something want is reduced.

I just don't see the point. Why not just buy it on the web, probably cheaper.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So they queue up in the early hours in the off chance that something want is reduced.

I just don't see the point. Why not just buy it on the web, probably cheaper.

I have being told you can great bargains if you get in the door and you'd have a good chance of picking up a handbag/shoes that would be low in stock. It's harder to come across these bargains online. People generally make an educated guess regarding what would be on sale. If your into that stuff you'll probably know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Saving a hundred euro would have cost me more in time and dignity. I can think of nothing worse than being a c*nt, being surrounded by c*nts and running into a shop like a teenager going into a One Direction concert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm broke enough and i wouldn't have the energy. Let everyone stay home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Took a day off went to tesco for food earlier was the only shopping I did today tomorrow I'll browse looking for stuff but the days of me waiting in line like a mad man are gone, they're with o leary in the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I hear reports that the deals are crap this year

I hear reports that the deals are crap this year

Similar to most years then. You might get lucky the odd time.

Mr E wrote: »
    Brown Thomas this morning. BT sales take prices down from "overpriced" to the "same as everywhere else".

You can actually see the €€€ in the whites of the BT mangers eyes....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Took a day off went to tesco for food earlier was the only shopping I did today tomorrow I'll browse looking for stuff but the days of me waiting in line like a mad man are gone, they're with o leary in the grave.

My local Tesco which is not small but not the in the Country either was closed today. Only shops open were small shops and that was only for a short time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Sure don't the people working in retail know before hand about days such as Boxing Day, Black Friday etc? Christmas isn't celebrated by everyone so it shouldn't come as a surprise that once it's over we're all back to our normal selves. I'd give a clap to those working in emergency and health departments that work on Christmas day because, people are dying and that doesn't stop on any religious day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Dakota Dan wrote: »

At least they have the enough sense to be embarassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolute scum. I had to get a taxi to work yesterday with there being no public transport early on.

One thing that I noticed yesterday was that it was a higher than normal percentage of non-Irish shpppers. Fair enough if Christmas means nothing to them but the rest of us shouldn't be punished because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Absolute scum. I had to get a taxi to work yesterday with there being no public transport early on.

One thing that I noticed yesterday was that it was a higher than normal percentage of non-Irish shpppers. Fair enough if Christmas means nothing to them but the rest of us shouldn't be punished because of it.

Rumour has it that The Man decided to open up because he heard there would be a load of non-Irish in town to ruin Christmas and punish the natives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Omackeral wrote: »
    I feel bad for the staff in these shops that are made to come in mad early. Must wreck their Christmas night knowing they've to be in at 5 or 6am the next morning. I find it very grubby from both operators of the businesses and the customers queuing for a few euro off a toaster or something.

Where's this toaster?

And you had to pay for it yourself, I take it. Taxi’s also charge a special rate on Stephens Day

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Berserker wrote: »
    Might be someone who is not supposed to have money to spend. Would love to know if the first lady spent the €1K after all.

Did she get her "Pacific" shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Your threshold for scum is fairly low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

stephen's day sales are around for a lot longer than the vast hordes of non nationals you noticed. If you've got a problem with your work opening then blame your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dude in the shorts at the start of that BT video :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sales like this have been around since I was knee high ffs. It has nothing to do with non-Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Companies should really be paying for taxis for all staff working St. Stephen's Day, both directions. People shouldn't be required to work on it at all for non-essential services.

It's sad that many would rather queue for a few quid off some shoes than switch off for a few days, allowing others to also. All here have worked hard all year, and are gathered from across the country to catch-up, celebrate, reflect and watch the films and sports over a few beers. People who would rather wait outside a shop for it to open on SSD must be truly joyless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Sales like this have been around since I was knee high ffs. It has nothing to do with non-Irish.

Actually, this time we can probably blame the Brits.

• Advertisement

thee glitz wrote: »
    Companies should really be paying for taxis for all staff working St. Stephen's Day, both directions. People shouldn't be required to work on it at all for non-essential services.

It's sad that many would rather queue for a few quid off some shoes than switch off for a few days, allowing others to also. All here have worked hard all year, and are gathered from across the country to catch-up, celebrate, reflect and watch the films and sports over a few beers. People who would rather wait outside a shop for it to open on SSD must be truly joyless.

Literary stealing the joy from everyone else too by creating a demand for shops to open and staff to work

Advertisement