Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Christmas sales!

Options
  • 26-12-2017 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭

So, they are probably people queuing up for sales in the Morning at the moment. Generally Next opens at 5AM or 6AM and the rest follows at around 8AM. I have never really queued for a sale apart from showing up to Lidl/Aldi a few minutes early to get one of their special buys.
    My experience with sales has never being great to be honest. I went through a few websites that started on Christmas Eve and all I really saw was left over stock that was hard to sell.(I found the same in-store)The only time I ever really got lucky was when an item was nearly out of stock the last few items were reduced. I shop around for my Christmas gifts and if I see something on black Friday events that I want I might get it if it's good value.
    What are your views on these sales?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

Harvey Norman sales boy ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Shop stock levels are usually muck, marginally better online. I need a proper nice jacket so I should get one of those cheap enough but I won't be queuing for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Meh.

Buy sh1t buy sh1t buy ****. It starts earlier for Xmas every year. It becomes intrusive. I adopted the attitude a few years ago of only buying what I need. I keep a mental list, and set up a price alert at the limit I’m happy to pay for an item. Sales are irrelevant. I know what I need and buy it when the price is right, The cash I’m not spending on irrelevant shyte and future clutter goes into various savings accounts and ends up either feeding a pension or paying for experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I might have a look online - but generally speaking the high st. outlets are pretty poor for selection (here anyhow) - hardly worth wasting a hangover on standing out at 6am in the filthy Galway weather

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I feel bad for the staff in these shops that are made to come in mad early. Must wreck their Christmas night knowing they've to be in at 5 or 6am the next morning. I find it very grubby from both operators of the businesses and the customers queuing for a few euro off a toaster or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Whores will have their trinkets

Whores will have their trinkets

Do you spend all your time trying to sound like a Tesco Value Lord Baelish?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do you spend all your time trying to sound like a Tesco Value Lord Baelish?
    Just quoting an old tv show.
    Not everyone is obsessed with GOT

Just quoting an old tv show.
    Not everyone is obsessed with GOT

Yeah... I suppose...

I wonder if I can get any boxsets in the sales... I have the DVD version... but I want the blur ray version too... because because because.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Harvey Norman sales boy ^

Troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing I was told by people who had to work in certain shops was they closed at around 3PM on Christmas Eve and they got all the stock ready for the next three hours so they just basically had to come in on St Stephen's morning!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I plan on getting a new mattress and some clothes in the sales, but why can't they start on the 27th instead of today? Shop workers deserve a couple of days off too. Only garages and convenience stores should be open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I used to love working Christmas eve, the absolute madness of it all and then it all suddenly goes quiet around 2. The sales would have been the same, a mad rush in the morning and then it quietening off in the early afternoon. Not sure how is would feel about it now that I have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Don't bother with them. Buy things when needed as opposed to going out to stock up on crap I don't need.

I actually have somewhat of a fear/hatred for sales and more specifically, sale rails as I used to have to fix the fcuking sale rails for 8 hours a day during my brief stint in retail. Shoppers turn into crazed beasts clawing to get at the 'bargains'/ ****e that wasn't sold at full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

sugarman wrote: »
    Most couldnt give a crap, usually seasonal staff made up of students and the likes looking to make a quick buck. We used to fight over it for the time and a half! 24hrs was enough around the extended family for another 12 months, even more so as teen bored t'feck!

It's not just students but your right about the time and a half. For a lot of people they'll be happy to work because they'll need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

sugarman wrote: »
    Most couldnt give a crap, usually seasonal staff made up of students and the likes looking to make a quick buck. We used to fight over it for the time and a half! 24hrs was enough around the extended family for another 12 months, even more so as teen bored t'feck!

Absolute nonsense, I've known lots of people working in retail on Stephens day and every single one of them hated it and would of loved the day off but didn't have any choice, you definitely get more rude customers on this day, and nobody wants to start at stupid o clock. high street stores opening today is absolutely disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Brown Thomas this morning. BT sales take prices down from "overpriced" to the "same as everywhere else".

Greyfox wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense, I've known lots of people working in retail on Stephens day and every single one of them hated it and would of loved the day off but didn't have any choice, you definitely get more rude customers on this day, and nobody wants to start at stupid o clock. high street stores opening today is absolutely disgusting
    Mr.S wrote: »
    I literally don't know a single person in retail who likes working on the 26th. You get the extra money, but you often don't get a choice if you want to work or not.

Also it causes havoc with people who go home for Christmas but work in a different city (eg work in Dublin, go home to Galway)

I know of shops/restaurants and they have a draw because there is such a demand for people wanting to work to get the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes & Smyths are closed today. It makes me think a lot more highly of them than it does of Brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In that video, what are people queuing for and running to?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

Probably to the exact item they want and hoping it's reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm usually the last to poke fun at 'consumerism' but getting up at that hour on Stephen's Day to go to the shops after the orgy of shopping pre-Christmas seems a bit mad.

Each to their own though, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Greyfox wrote: »

Does this sympathy and disgust apply equally to staff in bookies and pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Mr E wrote: »
    Brown Thomas this morning. BT sales take prices down from "overpriced" to the "same as everywhere else".

Two men are first through the door at a BT sale....

The world I once knew is dead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr E wrote: »

Jesus that was cringey!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I plan on getting a new mattress and some clothes in the sales, but why can't they start on the 27th instead of today? Shop workers deserve a couple of days off too. Only garages and convenience stores should be open today.

Yeah, **** one set of workers cos you might want to use their premises but businesses are monsters for opening when other people want them to.

There's also an increasing number of people in the country for whom Christmas means nothing......
    I'd fully support the owners of food establishments who are non believers by ordering from them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I don't understand it surely you'd want to be getting at least stuff worth a grand for 600/700 euro..

Even then I wouldn't be arsed - but head over to stingey thread and you ll see that there will always be people queuing for stuff that's a couple of quid cheaper that they probably don't want..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I haven't been to the boxing day sales in years. Always seems a bit pointless now that internet prices make such things nearly redundant.

murpho999 wrote: »
    "Bargains"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Does this sympathy and disgust apply equally to staff in bookies and pubs?

I have sympathy for everyone working on Stephens day, although I won't be in the pub or bookies I appreciate the need for some people to get some me time with there hobby. I singled out retail as the people working today are doing so as direct result of consumerism at the worst, 2 months of buy this, and this and buy that and you dont even get 24 hours to recover

Advertisement