Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone miss the recession ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was in Dundrum Town Centre this evening and judging from all the recently bought shiny 161, 162, 171 and 172 reg cars and the amount of shopping bags people were carrying, the "good times" are well and truly back.

Cold comfort to the homeless families who are living in hotel rooms or B&Bs.

ah ffs

shure why doesn't everyone just give up then!

and shure don't those lads spending Christmas in hotels have it well compared to those on the street

and shure how good do they have it compared to those in sub saharan Africa...

etc

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Idbatterim wrote: »
    usc should not go! if anything should be cut its the scandalous top rate! dont expect that to fly politically though!

the USC will go for those that pay near zero direct income taxes...

and go up for those already paying the most..

just because..

I was in Dundrum Town Centre this evening and judging from all the recently bought shiny 161, 162, 171 and 172 reg cars and the amount of shopping bags people were carrying, the "good times" are well and truly back.

Dundrum is in South Dublin in fairness, arguably the wealthiest 'county' area if you like in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

"Recession Busters" advertising slogans.

The term "Recession-ista" replacing the boom time Fashionista.

Anyone remember a short-lived magazine named "Prudence"? Page upon page of adverts, and 'frugal' fashion from Penneys . :D

I don't miss the recession actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What happens when an economy recovers quickly after a severe bust is that many who got hit the worst still remain in trouble, be they homeless or just in shi'te short contract minimum wage jobs, while those who rode out the storm thanks to a nice pension, public sector management salaries etc are now pulling away from the median income so the gap between the haves and have nots gets wider. I doubt the gap will be narrowed again either in any meaningful way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Get Real

TallGlass wrote: »
    It isn't over. The day I believe it's over is when that poxy USC is removed from my payslip. Temporary measure my arse.

Many people may disagree with me. But I think the USC should always stay in some form.

In good times, taxes like this should stay in place. This takes money out of the economy, preventing it from overheating. We can afford to take money out of the economy when it's growing at 6 or 7 percent. Then put this away for a rainy day/keep growth at a lower, constant rate.

It's the equivalent of going on a night out once a week. You can have x beers (whatever amount gives you pleasure) every week and have it to look forward to.

Or you can go out and have 15 beers, jagers and some cocaine while you're there. And spend the next few days in mental horrors and weeks down a few grand.

The govnt have hinted at more tax cuts, spending increases. Yes we need spending to improve services, but why cut taxes and go mad again, not saving for the future?

People have always blamed the govt of the time for the recession that followed. Yet they are simple human beings. The same as this bunch. Who also want to cut taxes when the going is good.

Natural boom bust cycle. Unless we keep paying the likes of USC and voluntarily seek not to lower tax. But if people want cuts here and there and money in their pockets and have a vote, they'll get just that until the next bust comes and their paypackets are robbed again.

markodaly wrote: »
    This thread is gas. Ireland is indeed full of misery junkies. Do I miss the recession? No, I like having my children back in Ireland living and working. I like that unemployment is low and that anyone who wants to work can work. I like that there developments happening and plans for more major infrastructure investments in things like Metro North. I like that for most people life is good and that we are a successful nation, not a basket case.

Some people just like being miserable all the time. Unless everyone is wearing a sack cloth and living in a ditch some people will never be happy.

I agree with almost all of your post but the bit I have highlighted there i must disagree with. it is still very competitive out there in certain industries for certain jobs. The jobs that there is a surplus of have high turnover, zero hours in many cases, temporary contracts with no promise of a permanent contract.

Things are better than they were i absolutely agree but we have a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Or living outside the M50 where the recession is still alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What happens when an economy recovers quickly after a severe bust is that many who got hit the worst still remain in trouble, be they homeless or just in shi'te short contract minimum wage jobs, while those who rode out the storm thanks to a nice pension, public sector management salaries etc are now pulling away from the median income so the gap between the haves and have nots gets wider. I doubt the gap will be narrowed again either in any meaningful way.

Well the construction industry bucks that trend. My entire family and extended family run an construction firm, nearly had to close during recession, some of my family had to move abroad because things got so bad. Now theyve more work than they could ask for and spending money like theres no tomorrow

Same story in a lot of construction and architecture firms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well I think the important word here is construction! A boom/bust industry if there ever was one but if you have the skills set you'll find good work when things take off again. Building commercial properties in Dublin is going to be a good business to be in for some years I think even with Brexit - or maybe because of it if certain cards fall the right way. Plus the much promised government backed social housing schemes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Get Real wrote: »
    Many people may disagree with me. But I think the USC should always stay in some form.

In good times, taxes like this should stay in place. This takes money out of the economy, preventing it from overheating. We can afford to take money out of the economy when it's growing at 6 or 7 percent. Then put this away for a rainy day/keep growth at a lower, constant rate.

It's the equivalent of going on a night out once a week. You can have x beers (whatever amount gives you pleasure) every week and have it to look forward to.

Or you can go out and have 15 beers, jagers and some cocaine while you're there. And spend the next few days in mental horrors and weeks down a few grand.

The govnt have hinted at more tax cuts, spending increases. Yes we need spending to improve services, but why cut taxes and go mad again, not saving for the future?

People have always blamed the govt of the time for the recession that followed. Yet they are simple human beings. The same as this bunch. Who also want to cut taxes when the going is good.

Natural boom bust cycle. Unless we keep paying the likes of USC and voluntarily seek not to lower tax. But if people want cuts here and there and money in their pockets and have a vote, they'll get just that until the next bust comes and their paypackets are robbed again.

The is no way on this Earth,that a Minister for Finance should open their Budget Speech with references to "Removing people from the Tax Net", irrrespective of their status,yet this was exactly the sort of intro which became the norm on Irish Budget days.

Our basic fiscal issue was (and to some,remains) the relatively few people paying into the system vis-a-vis the numbers being supported by the same system.

Instruments such as the USC are unpopular due to the lack of ways out of NOT paying it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Absolutely not one bit.
    Living from hand to mouth.
    Wondering where our next meal was coming from, often scraping together all the coppers I could find to buy milk etc. Dole. Shame. Guilt.
    Better off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

because its the default position of irish government. Give everyone a little bit, whether merited or not. The only ones being done are the mid to high earners, in terms of pulling their weight. The hundreds of thousands of low income earners are paying in virtually nothing in direct taxes. But let me simply cut a long story short, why is that the case? really simple! when mid to high income earners and its the high income earners that really get done here, what percentage of the electorate do they make up? 5% if even (high earners I am referring to)!

That is the primary reason they get murdered here! Hike the lpt, hike the hospitality rate of vat and cut an outrageous situation where you lose over half your income over a pittance of E34,800 Like people on that are the f**cking wolf of wallstreet or something :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

less gin **** around

less hipster **** around

less silly people spending silly money on stuff they really don't need

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone who felt the teeth of raw capitalism on their neck would never want to see that again

I won't do another one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yep, I miss the public service bashing

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Few less arrogant Cokeheads around, that was a good by product.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone who felt the teeth of raw capitalism on their neck would never want to see that again

I won't do another one

If 1989 is your birth year you will more than likely do a few more before you time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If 1989 is your birth year you will more than likely do a few more before you time is up.

Unfortunately it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm from 87, thanks for ruining the rest of my life.

• Advertisement

Recessions are like the tides, they come and go every few years (around once every 12 years or so), because we have an unstable economic model, boom will always be followed by bust and bust will always be followed by boom.

The only real difference between them is which industry booms or busts the most!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Rent prices weren't crazy and prime city centre apartments weren't be taken up with non-Irish adults willing to share bedrooms with strangers.

Bars which survived adapted by putting on deals, better service and offering food I.E. offered value for money.

Commuting on public transport wasn't soul-destroyingly sweaty. Coked-up ex-private school boys, Independent/RTE "model", wannabe celebrity-types and Conor McGregor heads from Crumlin, Rathfarnham, and those other traditionally working class areas weren't to be found in every somewhat decent bar in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Unfortunately it isn't

Man City 5 - 1 Man Utd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

There's tonnes of men & women wearing sunglasses indoors again, ****ing infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

somefeen wrote: »
    I miss people saying "No recession around there anyway" when someone bought a new telly or something else worth more than 50 quid.

That used to be hilarious every single time and I never once got sick of hearing it.

Somefeen's garage car hold.

broadcast-television-collection-of-old-television-sets-of-the-50s-CPN5DJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I miss the cheaper rent and cheaper hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

listermint wrote:
    New watches

Not me watches! How dare they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

One think i thougt off...when doing a clear out its harder to sell stuff on line compared to a few years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

dd972 wrote: »
    Few less arrogant Cokeheads around, that was a good by product.

True

Advertisement