Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security Systems and Statistics

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2011 wrote: »
    I think you mean PhoneWatch ?

Sorry, yes
    In Ireland some garage forecourts (for example) use point to point detection devices. Essentially a transmitter sends a beam to a receiver unit which could be 30m away. Anyone passing though this will break the beam which could be used to generate a notification and / or trigger an alarm. This is also used on some expensive homes on with large gardens and private entrances in Foxrock. These are carefully set at a height and positioned to minimize the risk of false alarms.

Yup, I saw those on a DIY system (I don't know if it is any good) along with PIR curtains. Very interesting ideas. It would be perfect for my 4 big glass window/doors. Really no one should be on my balcony, if they are, I'd want to know about it.
    Depends on the window size and how solid it is. Your sensors most likely need replacement (I'm assuming they are connected properly) if they won't activate with GA that low.

Yes, the windows and frames are the most sturdy and solid I've ever seen. Laminated security glass and a very thick frame. I think their passive security is really good.
    Forget about charges for a moment. This is a DIY forum and we are all legally permitted to install intruder alarms in our own homes. High quality inertia shock sensors can be purchased for a little over €10 each. Any descent alarm system should use these to protect all vulnerable potential points of entry. This point of view is accepted almost universally even I suspect privately by companies such as PhoneWatch.

Of course, but I do think it is important to keep in mind that there are different levels of DIY experience.

I think their is a big difference between plugging in a hub and stick up some wireless sensors and messing with the wiring of a wired "real" security system.

I have to admit I've never done it, though I can probably figure it out. But I think there are a lot of people who would have no idea how to do it.

So it is for them I'm thinking of. I think there is a need and big demand for simple DIY security systems, like that Yale one or Go Abode.
    There are many reasons. Sure a cheap DIY bit of kit from the internet is much better than nothing, just be aware of it's limitations. Don't think it is the equivalent of a "real" alarm system, it's not.

Of course, but their is no reason why a consumer DIY system off the internet can't eventually equal * a "real" wired security system.

* Strictly speaking a DIY system can never be certified EN... system as that certification requires professional install and maintenance. But it could equal it in every other way.

After all, all those wireless sensors that work with "real" systems, like Dual tech motion sensors, shock sensors, wireless bell boxes, etc. As their wireless, their is no reason why they can't also work with a consumer DIY system.

All you need to do is turn the panel into a hub that can be plugged in, instead of needing to be wired in and make the batteries easily changeable and a separate wireless keypad and you would have a pretty decent consumer DIY system. No wiring needed at all.

Again I don't know about it's quality, but that latest Yale system looks to be getting really close to what I'm talking about.

The Go Abode or ADT SmartThings systems in the US also look really good. Interestingly the ADT system is fully certified system in the US.
    I'm deeply offended. You will have to make it up to me by buying me beer .... :D

I definitely owe you one :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW I mentioned earlier that I looked at the Honeywell system and it didn't have comms, so I discounted it.

I need to correct that, it turns out I was only looking at their older standalone system and they have a newer smart Alarm system that competes with the similar Yale system.

Like the Yale system, it looks very interesting, but not quiet everything I'd like to see in a DIY system. So close, but not quiet there.

Pros
    - 868Mhz, RF jamming protection
    - Ethernet, app control
    - Supports GPRS as a backup channel.
    Can only use a Honeywell Sim, offers two years free service in box and then an optional and seemingly reasonable , optional, €23 per year (Over Ethernet continues to be free, this is just for GSM backup channel).
    - 24 hour Battery backup and notification of power down.
    - Pad separate from the hub
    - External battery bell boxes.
    - Glass break acoustic sensors.
    - Keyfob can show you the current system status.

Cons:
    - Pad only uses RFID fobs, no keypad, which I don't like
    - No shock sensors (acoustic instead).
    - GSM sends SMS texts only, no dialling.
    - No app notifications, notifications come via email or SMS but worst of all reports from users that it can take up to 10 minutes to receive notification!

Pity, it otherwise seems like a very decent system. If they could add app notifications and make them instantaneous and the keypad from the Yale system, I think they could be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bezuhov

Hi all

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but here goes.
    I've just upgraded from a securewatch 8/12 to a securewave 10270 system. Everything works as before, but when I try to add a gsm q card and select the menu item gsm/gprs, I just get the message "gsm not fitted". I've tried an alternative gsm q card and tried both serial ports without success. The SIM card is 2g (eir) and works in a phone. The status led on the card does not light at any time, while the main panel led is flashing normally. Any help with sorting this would be much appreciated.

Bezuhov wrote: »
    Hi all

I've just upgraded from a securewatch 8/12 to a securewave 10270 system. Everything works as before, but when I try to add a gsm q card and select the menu item gsm/gprs, I just get the message "gsm not fitted". I've tried an alternative gsm q card and tried both serial ports without success. The SIM card is 2g (eir) and works in a phone. The status led on the card does not light at any time, while the main panel led is flashing normally. Any help with sorting this would be much appreciated.

Hi, I suggest you ask over on the "Home Security Systems" forum, the folks over there should have plenty of experience of that and should be able to help:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Have you got it connected on sp2

Bezuhov wrote: »
    Hi all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bezuhov

stuartkee wrote: »
    Have you got it connected on sp2

Currently connected on sp1. Tried sp2 having failed on sp1 before but have returned to sp1. Always get the same message

Advertisement