Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to carry over holidays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s illegal to remove an employees holiday entitlement as they are a statutory allowance, not something at the give and take of employers.

The responsibility is on the employer to ensure the employee uses their holidays within the required timeframe or allow carry them over.

Employees allowing this happen are being bullied and as such should stand their ground. Now, one has to ask why employees are ending the year with holidays in the first place, considering most contracts likely insist they are used.

If you wish carry over holidays this discussion needs to be had well in advance, I’d suggest 2 months. This allows fair time to use said leave of the request to carry them is refused, this is fair to both sides. If with two months remaining annual leave is being denied by the employer and days maynje lost I would be making a written request and asking for written denial, I would follow that up with a formal complaint at being denied your statutory entitlement. Having this paperwork in your hand and going to a solicitor would make things very easy.

Easier said thann done. I doubt they were the only company in IReland to implement a use it or lose it policy for holidays.

Advertisement