Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Luas Cross City issues (exclude timetable and disruption issues) (No chat)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

It has been said already but a cyclist will be killed very likely on the inner core within 12 months because of LUAS and the tramlines. the manner of the death may not be via LUAS ( maybe a bus, may be a car ) but that will be what the root cause was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Safety issues as in passenger, pedestrian or cyclist safety issues.

These people don't give a hoot! Personal safety is always someone else's problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Posts relating to the LUAS fleet in general is not really related to this topic so has been moved to a new thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823351

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

My issues:

1. Leap Card readers: More of them needed! A few scattered around the tram stops is totally insufficient at busy stops.
    2. Stop design at busy stops - notably Jervis. They're unpleasant to wait and and need to be reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

flaneur wrote: »
    My issues:

1. Leap Card readers: More of them needed! A few scattered around the tram stops is totally insufficient at busy stops.
    2. Stop design at busy stops - notably Jervis. They're unpleasant to wait and and need to be reviewed.

What do you suggest could be done to improve stop design. It's all well and good criticise flaws without suggesting a viable solution to those flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

trellheim wrote: »
    It has been said already but a cyclist will be killed very likely on the inner core within 12 months because of LUAS and the tramlines. the manner of the death may not be via LUAS ( maybe a bus, may be a car ) but that will be what the root cause was.

So, not their own fault then, and acting as an ally of those who never wanted rail based PT in Dublin. Well done *claps*

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

The Luas Cross city line has not appeared on Google Maps even though it went into service nearly 3 weeks ago, it only mentions the new stops on it.

What do you suggest could be done to improve stop design. It's all well and good criticise flaws without suggesting a viable solution to those flaws.

I can criticise as an end user experiencing problems with the deign without putting forward anything, as I’m not an public transport designer or architect with expertise in people flows through spaces.

They could maybe use automatic announcements asking people to allow passengers to exit the tram before boarding for a start.

Then maybe ensure that there is some kind of marking on the pavement to encourage people to flow in a more optimized way.

The biggest issue is lack of card readers. They need lots of them at the busy stops.

Radio Gold wrote: »
    The Luas Cross city line has not appeared on Google Maps even though it went into service nearly 3 weeks ago, it only mentions the new stops on it.

Yes I noticed that myself and thought it was a bit odd that they would put the new stops on it but not the new line. They should put the line on it a couple of months ago and then put the stops on it when it opened.

Also Google's transport map of Dublin only shows the two Luas lines no mention of DART or any other railways that are there. You'd expect better from a company which has Dublin as it's European HQ.

I can criticise as an end user experiencing problems with the deign without putting forward anything, as I’m not an public transport designer or architect with expertise in people flows through spaces.

They could maybe use automatic announcements asking people to allow passengers to exit the tram before boarding for a start.

Then maybe ensure that there is some kind of marking on the pavement to encourage people to flow in a more optimized way.

The biggest issue is lack of card readers. They need lots of them at the busy stops.

Yes I agree with about lack of card readers. I also think they should put some on board trams and if someone misses their stop as a result of not tagging off quickly enough that's their tough sh1t. A number of other cities have readers/validators on board trams.

As for automatic announcements I don't think they are a good idea especially at stops that are not used solely by Luas passengers such as Jervis and the new BXD as they only annoy people who not necessarily Luas passengers and they as a potential target market could be put off them. It would be similar to having annoucements at bus stops.

• Advertisement

You just need the internal announcement system to say : "Please allow passengers to exit the tram before attempting to board!!" Doesn't have to be a loud platform announcement and only needs to go on at peak crush times.

It's that or occasionally have platform attendants to control the flow a bit.

You just need the internal announcement system to say : "Please allow passengers to exit the tram before attempting to board!!" Doesn't have to be a loud platform announcement and only needs to go on at peak crush times.

It's that or occasionally have platform attendants to control the flow a bit.

The thing about annoucements is they only annoy people look at IE and their long winded annoucements on board and they will also have to be As Beárla agus As Gaelige making them even more long winded. The annoucements would likely fall on deaf ears as ignorant people will continue to be ignorant just like the people who continue to put their feet on seats on the DART despite the annoucements. As you can see we don't have the same public transport etiquette that they do in the UK.

Having platform attendants isin't a bad idea perhaps you could utilise revenue protection and the STT guards for it at peak hours. Also the railings at the SSG stop need to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The thing about annoucements is they only annoy people look at IE and their long winded annoucements on board and they will also have to be As Beárla agus As Gaelige
    Stopping this nonsense would be a start to finding a solution. Those IE announcements are torturous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

trellheim wrote: »

If someone is going to be killed by the design, then I really do think that as an issue should take extreme priority over any other issue. There is nothing worse than time and time again, DCC only waking up at the wheel when someone is killed. Sad thing is it's usually a simple measures that is needed to put a stop to anyone been killed.

Be nice to see some proactive steps in this regard. No one should lose there life, what ever about delays or bad sequences, life takes priority in my books and if this is as serious as it sounds it should be addressed quickly.

Advertisement