Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Luas Cross City issues (exclude timetable and disruption issues) (No chat)

Options
  • 21-12-2017 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭

I'm compiling a list of Luas Cross City issues for submission to Luas / TII across a number of headings, including:
    * Safety
    * Ticketing
    * Signage and Information
    * Passenger comfort
    * Service - the actual running of the trams

Examples of passenger comfort would be:
    * Seats at new stops are too low for most people to use.
    * Shelter is quite inadequate at most stops.
    * Remove bird perches at stops (lamp posts, ledges, etc.), and under bridges. Remove build-ups of bird droppings.

We're all aware of the timetable and disruption issues. These are dependent on tram numbers, so I'm not sure if there is much we can do about that, unless someone has a special insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

My issues yesterday:
    * Lack of TMV at SSG southbound and leap readers on the new part of the platforms.
    * Traffic lights need reviewing upper O'Connell & Dominic Junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

The SSG stop is like Hillsborough. Remove the barriers at the stop. Total crush fest getting off the tram.

I also predict a cyclist will die on the tracks within the next 12months. Very dangerous.

The SSG stop is like Hillsborough. Remove the barriers at the stop. Total crush fest getting off the tram.

I also predict a cyclist will die on the tracks within the next 12months. Very dangerous.

Removing the barriers will not make a blind bit of difference, at peak times people will be trying to get on with or without a barrier there. You will still have to get through a sea of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    * Remove bird perches at stops (lamp posts, ledges, etc.), and under bridges. .

why would you remove things like this when they provide useful services, lights etc?
    just add in anti-pigeon spikes where required

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Removing the barriers will not make a blind bit of difference, at peak times people will be trying to get on with or without a barrier there. You will still have to get through a sea of people!

It’s the LEAP card points that are the problem. People spilling off LUAS are trying to get to the LEAP card points. In doing so they are blocking people trying to move away from the tram and the people behind them get backed up and can’t move freely causing a blockage. The passengers who are trying to get on the LUAS then make the situation a real mess. The barriers do make it worse as they condense large crowds into a very small space.

• Advertisement

It’s the LEAP card points that are the problem. People spilling off LUAS are trying to get to the LEAP card points. In doing so they are blocking people trying to move away from the tram and the people behind them get backed up and can’t move freely causing a blockage. The passengers who are trying to get on the LUAS then make the situation a real mess. The barriers do make it worse as they condense large crowds into a very small space.

I have said they should of placed them against the barriers, they have done this on the new stations. Hopefully they do it when they install more at SSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm compiling a list of Luas Cross City issues for submission to Luas / TII across a number of headings, including:
    * Safety
    * Ticketing
    * Passenger comfort

* Remove bird perches at stops (lamp posts, ledges, etc.), and under bridges. Remove build-ups of bird droppings.

We're all aware of the timetable and disruption issues. These are dependent on tram numbers, so I'm not sure if there is much we can do about that, unless someone has a special insight.

Safety issues as in passenger, pedestrian or cyclist safety issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I use the red line and since the cross city went live I'm stuck at the abbey st o Connell st interchange for a redicilous amount of time. It's not working there with the sequence between red green and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

why would you remove things like this when they provide useful services, lights etc?
    just add in anti-pigeon spikes where required
    Remove the perches, not the lights. In this image, the pigeons are using the spikes to secure their nest. :) The solution is to blank off the entire ledge.

436745.jpg
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Safety issues as in passenger, pedestrian or cyclist safety issues.
    Yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think congestion issues need to be reviewed overall, not just taking the Cross City changes in isolation.

I drive across Parnell St every evening and the light sequences aren't too bad. You progress at a steady rate. The issue with Dominick St junction is people rushing out of a car park further down beside Pennys. They break lights and clog up everywhere leading up to that junction, leading to other people doing the same in frustration.

They need to start being responsible for themselves. I'm also seeing more pedestrians not looking before they cross the road in the city these days and that's because they don't want to be responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Sat on Dominic st yesterday for 15 minutes without moving. Everytime we got a green light Parnell st was already blocked with traffic already on it. In the end everyone just started to break the red light and treat the junction like a yield sign. That needs looking it, the green sequence is far too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

My list of Luas Cross City Issues:

Private Cars in the City Centre.

I use the red line and since the cross city went live I'm stuck at the abbey st o Connell st interchange for a redicilous amount of time. It's not working there with the sequence between red green and traffic.

It's actually not any longer, I have timed it various times. There is always a minimum of 2 minutes wait and that could reach 3.5 if one tram is stopped there in advance and anther one is approaching but fails to get there on time to get clearance.

Overall the light need to give more priority but yet again DCC interfered.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Update RTI with info on trains terminating at a stop. Annoying when you are collecting someone at a terminus like Sandyford and you can only see the times for trams continuing on to Brides glen.

Folks, this thread is about trying to fix things, not bitching and moaning.

Thank you to those that have contributed positively.
    superg wrote: »
    Sat on Dominic st yesterday for 15 minutes without moving. Everytime we got a green light Parnell st was already blocked with traffic already on it. In the end everyone just started to break the red light and treat the junction like a yield sign. That needs looking it, the green sequence is far too short.
    Do you mean the bottom of Dominick Street was blocked?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think pedestrian crossing lights along the route need to be reviewed and sequences changed.

I've noticed at a number of junctions that the pedestrian crossing lights are red, even when the luas is crossing in parallel and when their is no reason why it couldn't be green for pedestrians and no reason why pedestrians couldn't continue to cross as the Luas also crosses.

It seems the pedestrian lights are timed to interact with only the traffic lights and not with the Luas lights. Makes no sense.

bk wrote: »
    I think pedestrian crossing lights along the route need to be reviewed and sequences changed.

I've noticed at a number of junctions that the pedestrian crossing lights are red, even when the luas is crossing in parallel and when their is no reason why it couldn't be green for pedestrians and no reason why pedestrians couldn't continue to cross as the Luas also crosses.

It seems the pedestrian lights are timed to interact with only the traffic lights and not with the Luas lights. Makes no sense.

You won't be able to interact Luas system with traffic lights like you describe above.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Discussion related to general LUAS Cross City topics more suited to the other thread have been moved there and off topic posts have been removed, feel free to start a new topic if your post is not related to the topic at hand

I discussed this with RPA previously and they prefer it that way, as pedestrians were crossing the tramway when there was a green light on the non-Luas road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I discussed this with RPA previously and they prefer it that way, as pedestrians were crossing the tramway when there was a green light on the non-Luas road.

That is pretty idiotic IMO. People will quickly realise it and start to ignore the lights and just cross, which teaches the wrong lesson.

I know it is what I now do at these junctions, just ignore these lights and cross, as do I see most people do.

A dangerous precedent to be setting and another example of the NTA's/DCC's poor consideration for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

The way 'Droichead Broome' is squeezed into two lines in the centre of LED displays on the front of the trams is completely illegible and looks horrible. They should just make it 'D. Broome' or something and use the full width.

Of course, I would be in favour of repealing the OLA entirely and removing Irish from public transport, but that's a separate issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Folks, this thread is about trying to fix things, not bitching and moaning.

Thank you to those that have contributed positively.

Do you mean the bottom of Dominick Street was blocked?

Yeah traffic on Dominic st couldn't get off it onto Parnell st. The green sequence is too long for Parnell St in relation to the very short green for Dominic st. Probably more of an issue due to extra Christmas private car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    You won't be able to interact Luas system with traffic lights like you describe above.

Why do you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

This is also the case for many pedestrian traffic lights without luas all across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

* Safety
    * Ticketing
    * Passenger comfort

You really have nothing to complain about bar this, Service - the actual running of the trams.

Seriously some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

They need to start being responsible for themselves.
    They are. It was the planners of the Luas project who acted irresponsibly in failing to provide adequate infrastructure for cycling.

Also, it's hard for cyclists to be responsible around Luas tracks when motorists are breathing down their necks, honking horns and cutting them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Regarding the lack of frequency: why can't they just move trams over from the red line to compensate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

AngryLips wrote: »
    Regarding the lack of frequency: why can't they just move trams over from the red line to compensate?

Because that would result in a lack of frequency on the red line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Because that would result in a lack of frequency on the red line

Maybe someone else can confirm but I don’t think the utilization on red line was without any slack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

AngryLips wrote: »

At least 5 have been moved over

Advertisement