Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compelling evidence that intelligent alien life has visited Earth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Interesting video about the Gaffney incident.The night police talked to an alien.

https://youtu.be/spINrGMxgKA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

man saying something on TV = compelling evidence

God forbid I find myself in the dock someday and the OP on the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Yes that may be so, but it could also be that it is impossible to travel faster than light, regardless of how advanced your technology is. (I hope not).

Breaking the speed of light may not be the issue
    Worm holes or bending space time around you are theoretically possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I find UFO's to be a bit like ghosts. I'm not going to believe it until there is clear, indisputable evidence that what I'm looking at in the video or the photo is a UFO/Ghost. The fact that everyone has a mobile camera these days has not substantially increased the likelihood ghosts or UFO's are real anymore than in pre-smartphone era. So i'm inclined to think it's bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Agricola wrote: »
    I find UFO's to be a bit like ghosts. I'm not going to believe it until there is clear, indisputable evidence that what I'm looking at in the video or the photo is a UFO/Ghost. The fact that everyone has a mobile camera these days has not substantially increased the likelihood ghosts or UFO's are real anymore than in pre-smartphone era. So i'm inclined to think it's bollox.

But but but ... drake equation ... gazillions of stars .. unfathomable numbers! they must be there ! including a planet full of ghosts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

9189283.jpg

This never gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Lots of clips on utube of local sightings, but most videos are re-posted with overdubs and music tracks so just seeking subscribers.

This triangle looks like one I've seen way back in 88-89
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDLdC0y3BMU
    The video is interesting as recorded via night vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Inviere

We should be able to detect life easily if there were this many interstellar species.

In the case of detecting signs of alien life forms, there's no such thing as easy. Given radio signals travel at the speed of light, our own earliest unintentional broadcasts into space happened about 100 years ago. That means they've traveled 100 light years into space, in a galaxy that's about 100k light years across. Compound that with modern digital broadcast signals, which are much shorter wave than our old fashioned broadcasts. These deteriorate much, much quicker, and would be unrecognizable in a much shorter distance. We're basically making much less noise than we used to.

Who's to say alien radio waves didn't pass by us for 200 years during the renaissance when we weren't listening, before they themselves began using more focused/less durable transmissions, and therefore became harder & harder for us to detect? There are all kinds of possibilities and theories. But the notion that "we should have detected something by now" is complete nonsense when the size of our galaxy alone is considered. It's like standing on a beach on the coast of Kerry, shouting out to sea "is anyone there", and upon hearing nothing back, concluding we're alone on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    If we scale the Sun down to the size of a white blood cell, then the Milky Way will be the size of the United States (continental)

And there are more stars in the Milky Way than there are grains of sand
    on a beach.

Add to that the Hubble Deep Field where the hubble telescope was pointed at what was considered to be an empty bit of space spanning an area "about one 24-millionth of the whole sky, which is equivalent in angular size to a tennis ball at a distance of 100 metres" in which there were around 3,000 galaxies.

The scale of the universe is really incomprehensible and I think there is little doubt there is life out there, but has that life visited earth I'm not sure because as incomprehensible as the number of planets out there is, so is the vast distances of interstellar and intergalactic space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think nearly everyone agrees its very likely other intelligent life exists somewhere. it just that no matter where it may be its extremely far away and so chances of interaction are very low

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Kivaro wrote: »
    “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Exactly

This is how big it is:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

grahambo wrote: »
    True, but Life cannot exist (as we know it) in the void of space.
    Life also can only evolve in the Circumstellar habitable zone (Goldilocks zone)
    Therefore we wouldn't expect to find life on every planet, but in the places where it can exist, it should flourish.

Our kind of life can only evolve in the Goldilocks zone. What's to say that there aren't other types of life out there that's vastly different to our understanding of life?

If a similar life form to us developed a billion years before us, I doubt that the vast distances of space would be a problem for them. A billion years of learning and technology improvements would overcome many problems.

Given enough time and resources, almost any problem is solvable. Great distances in space a problem, create faster transport. If that's not possible, create beings that can live for a billion+ years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

I watched this video and apparently if there is life out there and our radio signals reach them, the Nuremberg Rallies is probably the first transmission they would hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Our kind of life can only evolve in the Goldilocks zone. What's to say that there aren't other types of life out there that's vastly different to our understanding of life?

If a similar life form to us developed a billion years before us, I doubt that the vast distances of space would be a problem for them. A billion years of learning and technology improvements would overcome many problems.

Given enough time and resources, almost any problem is solvable. Great distances in space a problem, create faster transport. If that's not possible, create beings that can live for a billion+ years.

Given that extremephiles can live in the most hospitable of places life can evolve outside the goldielocks zone
    fair enough they may not be complex life

If the planet or moon has water/ ice life can also evolve

There could possibly be life in the oceans under the ice of Europa

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Brexit+leave+won+yay+brilgreenim+not+a+brit+but+as_c1941a_5955960.jpg

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Marty Morrissey is proof

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There may be intelligent life out there but would they consider us to be intelligent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

There may be intelligent life out there but would they consider us to be intelligent?

Yeah. Be a pretty retarded civilisation if they can't appreciate another sentient species imo

21Savage wrote: »
    Yeah. Be a pretty retarded civilisation if they can't appreciate another sentient species imo

How many insects a day do you crush without giving it a second thought, intentionally or not

We may be ants to them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Who's their leader?
    Check Earth media.
    Back up lads we're heading home.
    But that's a 100 year journey.
    Shut up Steven we're going home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

grahambo wrote: »
    I suppose it's plausible that they may have visited here but unlikely that they would have stayed, as we probably have very little (Or nothing) to offer.
    Ah, there are a few good deals in Aldi these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

If they exist I'd be pretty surprised if they hadn't developed inter-dementional capabilities.

Would be easier to travel from dimension to dimension,quite possible that past the observable universe is another dimension and so on and so on.

Might explain why their ships seem to defy our laws of physics and how they come and go as they please.

"Oh Dave, off to the 3rd dimension to grab some food and to perve on the earthling blowing themselves up"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Who knows what's out there, right? Tabby's Star is a mind-bender, natural or not. Przybylski's Star is weird as fook... and then there is this https://www.newscientist.com/article/2109139-strange-signals-from-234-stars-could-be-et-or-human-error/

Most Astronomers aren't taking that Study very seriously but fascinating all the same.

Advertisement