Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking people online/apps

Options
  • 19-12-2017 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

So, I'm curious about this. Do you regularly block people on social media like facebook, instagram, twitter etc or messaging apps like whatsapp, viber, snapchat, and if so, why? I was talking to a friend about this the other day and she said that she'd never done it, and I've only ever done it once myself but that's because I was receiving consistently abusive texts from someone I'd ended things with, so I didn't have a choice in the matter really. Other than that though, it's not something that would occur to me to do without a reason. If I don't think I'll talk to someone again then I might delete their number but I wouldn't block them from contacting me. I've had people tell me that friends regularly block them if they have a falling out or are in a sulk for some reason, I think that's a bit odd myself. Maybe it's something that younger people do? I can understand putting someone on ignore on boards because we're all strangers here and some people are just a pain in the arse :P I do have a couple of people on ignore but once again not something I'd do without a reason. Then again though, I don't use facebook much but wouldn't hesitate to hide someone's news feed if they were annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I know a couple who are awful trouble makers - they're blocked because I don't really want them ringing or messaging me on a Saturday night trying to start drama.

They had tried before - several times......

Haven't blocked people, have deleted a few, told them why...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Yep. Two lads in particular that weren't very nice to me when I was younger, they're the type of people bullies that will try bring you down and make you feel like absolute shite just to make themselves feel better.... even as fully grown adults they did it. About 8 years ago I decided to cut them out of my life completely. I went through the effort of blocking them on every website/app/social media I could think of that I was a member of. Occasionally one of them will try to add me or contact me on something I've forgotten to block them on (LinkedIn for example) but they quickly get a whack of my block hammer and my life is all the more peaceful because of it.

I don't need that type of negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Never blocked anyone. Have probably unfollowed a good 40% of the FB friends list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I sometimes block people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I block any "like this page and share to win something" page on Facebook that pops up on my feed because someone shared it. I've a feeling most of these are bogus and are just the companies looking for free advertisement. It was especially noticeable around the all Ireland hurling final where every second page for a grocery store/farm supplies/plumber..etc.. seemed to have 2 tickets to give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I sometimes block people :D

I bet people often block you! :p

I bet people often block you! :p

That would be a definite.....l'il old me rubs people up the wrong way I've been told :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well la di da ms I have people wanting to talk to me and contact me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not except spam, or the odd time I've removed people from facebook that I haven't seen in a decade and were only a passing acquaintance anyway.

I don't create any drama in my life that would end up with people contacting me to give me a sh1t at all hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I've blocked people too even family members online and phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id only block somebody if i never wanted to speak to them again . Thats a pretty final thing so they'd have to be seriously irritating or have done something really bad for me to block somebody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Have block quite a few on different threads here had a falling out with friends recently blocked them on WhatsApp and blocked most of my family on Facebook ages ago.

Forever Alone 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once commented on a womans picture (a selfie) on Flickr. I said something like "nice photo and great smile". This woman who was supposedly a "professional photographer" immediately blocked me. Some people are fucking weird. I have no idea why someone that sensitive even bothers uploading anything to the internet.

I don't block anyone unless they're really bothering me or if it looks like they're a fake and a spammer. I've never blocked anyone on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

So, I'm curious about this. Do you regularly block people on social media like facebook, instagram, twitter etc or messaging apps like whatsapp, viber, snapchat,

I don't have any of that shít. Complete and utter crap, another reason why people never have phones out of their hands. I don't care what anyone says, there are people out there with addictions to social media but will never admit it. Bring up the subject and it's normally met with defensiveness.

WhatsApp and Viber, infrequently I use for family only. On my phone, I've numbers blocked from people I don't want to hear from.

On boards I have several people blocked. Why, depends on the person really. Most of which are just people that come on here and act the twat. I don't believe in online personas. If you can't be yourself, then I don't want to read your shít. Just as I do in real life, I appreciate genuinity in a person, and can't fathom why you would act any other way.

Others, just seem to look for arguments, spending far too much time hen pecking points and often twisting what you've said for attention, thanks or whatever else does it for them. I can live quite comfortably with someone disagreeing with a point or points I may have made. What I can't be bothered with is tit-for-tat point scoring. I don't get that neediness to win an argument, or gain thanks for it. If you take the time to look, it's normally the same people circle-jerking anyway.

Attention whores get either blocked or ignored. I just don't want to read that kind of crap. Again, neediness at play there. I figure there are a lot of very insecure users or something.

Estrellita wrote: »
    I don't have any of that shít. Complete and utter crap, another reason why people never have phones out of their hands. I don't care what anyone says, there are people out there with addictions to social media but will never admit it. Bring up the subject and it's normally met with defensiveness.

WhatsApp and Viber, infrequently I use for family only. On my phone, I've numbers blocked from people I don't want to hear from.

On boards I have several people blocked. Why, depends on the person really. Most of which are just people that come on here and act the twat. I don't believe in online personas. If you can't be yourself, then I don't want to read your shít. Just as I do in real life, I appreciate genuinity in a person, and can't fathom why you would act any other way.

Others, just seem to look for arguments, spending far too much time hen pecking points and often twisting what you've said for attention, thanks or whatever else does it for them. I can live quite comfortably with someone disagreeing with a point or points I may have made. What I can't be bothered with is tit-for-tat point scoring. I don't get that neediness to win an argument, or gain thanks for it. If you take the time to look, it's normally the same people circle-jerking anyway.

Attention whores get either blocked or ignored. I just don't want to read that kind of crap. Again, neediness at play there. I figure there are a lot of very insecure users or something.

Aren't you just the little ray of Christmas sunshine we all need! :D

"Blocked*

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Aren't you just the little ray of Christmas sunshine we all need! :D

"Blocked*

I don't know... I think as you get older you get less tolerant of other peoples bullshít.

*Skips away gleefully* :pac:

Estrellita wrote: »
    I don't know... I think as you get older you get less tolerant of other peoples bullshít.

*Skips away gleefully* :pac:

I'm too old to skip... gleefully or otherwise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Would it be fair to say that the blocking feature is used more frequently by women than men?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

First!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I block many, many YouTube channel owners. Often such 'channels' are just bases for trolls. These 'channels' have a many appearance.Blicking other YouTube channels is carried out by me much more than on Facebook or Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I un follow people the odd time but I never really have block anybody. I know some people and it would really upset them if you block them.
    I went to college with a girl who blocked me basically because I wasn't that into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

Yes...the boss and his blow job side kick....tell them regularly that my phone is playing up...then I block them...blame it on my phone lol l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I think its funny when you see two strangers arguing on Facebook or twitter and then one of them comes out with something really catty like.

"Consider yourself blocked"
    "Im done listening to your *insert -ism* consider yourself muted and booted"
    "Ha beeee-locked"
    "Enjoy getting blocked"

Like omg don't block that person, you'll destroy their life!!!

I've blocked or deleted a few people I know in real life. Its awkward bumping into them again somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

biko wrote: »
    First!

Fufufufufu BLOCKED :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I can’t understabd how more teenagers aren’t going this. They complain of being bullied on Facebook etc why the fcuk are they even ‘friends’ with that person? Why haven’t they blocked all contact/content from them? It seems absolutely ridiculous to have a situation where someone engages in online bullying and the other person takes no steps to block that person and continues to allow them to puts on their pages, send them messages etc It would seem like the most logical and sensible solution and maybe if more people done it we we wouldn’t have so many tragic endings to some of these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I've done it maybe five times in my life, when someone was being either chronically creepy or annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I pretty much never block anyone but it's different when you barely know someone. My life is an open book mostly but I feel a bit weird about seeing into other peoples' private lives when I barely know them so I often unfollow people.

For a good while I had been Whatsapping a girl I met online and eventually went on a date. She had added me on FB in the meantime. I thought everything went really well on the night and sent her a message after saying the usual 'had a great time...' and a week or so later messaged again and she never replied to either. About a month later, last weekend, I unfriended her on FB - it was pointless staying friends with someone who went on a date with who just ignored you later, I reckoned. within hours she Whatsapped me telling me she had a great time on our date (over a month prior) but wanted to be friends :confused: What does be going on with people like.

Advertisement