Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dunno why people thought episode 4 was bad!
    I thought it was gas
    Have you got a Union Jack splashed across your tits, Clare? - I'm making a point. Is the point, "I'd like to get beaten up"?

'Winking? at your age ? Christ, I feel sick'

Few LOL moments for me anyway :)Im warming to a lot of the characters, sad the ukrainian girl won't be in it anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Enjoyed the 4th episode.

It reminds me a bit of The Hardy Bucks.

It can be laugh out loud funny at times and other times it just falls flat, because they are trying to be funnier than they need to be or because you can just see the plot/jkes developing miles away.

I think the Erin and Michelle characters are brilliant, not sure about the other girls though, kind of neutral about the gay English fella.

It's a million miles better than something like Bridget and Eamon that RTE have served up in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Enjoyed the 4th episode.

kind of neutral about the gay English fella.

440170.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Reaction should be fun tonight online when the tackle the subject of the 12th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m looking forward to the laughs later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lisha wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to the laughs later

Tonight episode has the most potential to be good, marching season, marching songs :D

I recall visiting Galway in the 90's during July and the place would be swamped with NIRL reg cars, they would get the hell out of the place for the 2 weeks around marching season.

I’m a bit tired but I think I’m staying up to see Derry girls! Hope I wake up on time in morning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Tommy Tiernan needs to deck that father in law

First half very funny. Could have done without the dope In the boot but how’s ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tommy Tiernan needs to deck that father in law

Awful dose.

'Sorry St. Anthony, false alarm.'

TT coming into his own in this ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

punt purse, puntless :p

TT coming into his own in this ep.

Definitely the most he's had to say :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The grandfather is starting to grate on me. The joke was funny at the start but the same thing over and over though is a bit much

The grandfather is starting to grate on me. The joke was funny at the start but the same thing over and over though is a bit much

Wrecking my head at this stage

Lisha wrote: »
    First half very funny. Could have done without the dope In the boot but how’s ever

Well considering that was a big thing in Derry during the troubles it was kind of ok about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wrecking my head at this stage

Agreed, getting a bit bloody old at this stage. Overall I thought it was a weak enough episode, my least favourite so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could have done with another half an hour, was only really getting started.

I can't stop thinking in a Derry accent.
    Derry goes, Derry goes again, racing through my brain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I loved it, it's much too short though. Some great lines in there 'ah relax, we've got another two or three hours before the rioting starts', 'What are you looking at you tangerine tool!?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I felt Clare's frustration over losing that bookmark... Nothing more frustrating in the world than losing your place in a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was good to see Tommy get more lines but didn't find the story arc about your man in the boot to be all that great, would have preffered if it stuck to the story of them going on holiday and focusing on the difference between the north and the south

siblers wrote: »
    Was good to see Tommy get more lines but didn't find the story arc about your man in the boot to be all that great, would have preffered if it stuck to the story of them going on holiday and focusing on the difference between the north and the south

I'm sure we'll get one of those down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Shadowthrone

siblers wrote: »

Well They were going on holiday to Donegal (even though that dinner is in toome so they were going the wrong way!), not much difference to be honest. Other than our strange punts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Shadowthrone

Try living with it, that is exactly how my mother in law is. He is a very accurate depiction of a Derry parent from that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Try living with it, that is exactly how my mother in law is. He is a very accurate depiction of a Derry parent from that era.

Yeah my missus is from Derry too and I can sympathise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Well They were going on holiday to Donegal (even though that dinner is in toome so they were going the wrong way!), not much difference to be honest. Other than our strange punts!
    Well their house looks to be in west Belfast so maybe they were going the right way lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I know that the Orla character is a bit ridiculous but I still find her really funny

goose2005 wrote: »
    I know that the Orla character is a bit ridiculous but I still find her really funny

Yeh she's a bit over the top sometimes but has some good lines
    I thought it was very funny when yer man was in the boot and she's like hows it going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Anyone know if the episodes are repeated before the following Thursday?

Wow, she doesnt look that age at all. Thought she looked the youngest tbh.

Yeh I thought Clare's actress might have been the only one who was actually a teenager, funnily enough !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Watched it on Sky Go today- meh v poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the latest episode was a mess. It started off on one tangent and ended up on something else. It was like they couldn't figure out what they wanted it to be about and were eager to get some character development on the extended family characters.

I really don't like the characters beyond the classmates. I think they should focus the first season on the core group - well, except the tall one who speaks slowly. She's bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sbs2010 wrote: »

They are all online on All4 the channel 4 site. It’s not geolocked so you can watch it all here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I agree with others about grandad. His treatment of TT was funny at first but has become almost sadistic now with the lot of them piling in. Grandad showed a teeny bit of humanity towards him at the end of the previous episode but that evaporated last night. I really hope TT's character sticks it up to him in the last episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The neighbour with the double glazing ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The neighbour with the double glazing ��

And his poor second best tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Sparko

Monday at 11.05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

THE latest episode was like they’d written an episode about the 12th, realised it was to short, so stuck a lad in the boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Using Peggys Diner in Toome has kept us culchies happy, it is quite a republican area, the home place of a United Irishman Roddy McCorley who was hung down the road in 1800. The land also was on the border of the formidable Northern Ui Neill and Ulaid kingdoms so there is a rich history of warfare around Toomebridge. Game of Thrones have also filmed scenes in the area.

armaghlad wrote: »
    Well their house looks to be in west Belfast so maybe they were going the right way lol

It's in Derry but all.the school scenes are in Belfast. That orange order scene was in Belfast too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

The grandad vs TT thing is a bit over the top because it's the same thing as Everyone vs the English lad, there's only so much of that that can be done per episode before it becomes grating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Tonight episode has the most potential to be good, marching season, marching songs :D

I recall visiting Galway in the 90's during July and the place would be swamped with NIRL reg cars, they would get the hell out of the place for the 2 weeks around marching season.

The 12th is still busy with Northerners crossing to the sanity down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The 12th is still busy with Northerners crossing to the sanity down here.

Same around here. The hotels and B&Bs in Bundoran, Mullaghmore and Sligo do well out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's on later tonight at 2.55 on 4seven and again on Channel 4 on Monday evening at 11.05pm

Those people who go over the border on 12th July must be townies as I could count the amount of Orange parades I've seen in my life in one hand. I did have an incident last year though, I needed to drive to Tesco in the town on a saturday around 9pm, the main road to there was blocked, I then took a long way there, I drove 15 mins and then that road into the town was blocked too, I then took an even longer way and then that road was blocked too, when I finally got into the town the police stopped me and asked me to wait until the parade was finished so I had to sit there and watch it.

I also remember driving 50 minutes to get to Derry a few years ago, I had to drive back as the main road into the city was blocked because of some parade in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Those people who go over the border on 12th July must be townies as I could count the amount of Orange parades I've seen in my life in one hand. I did have an incident last year though, I needed to drive to Tesco in the town on a saturday around 9pm, the main road to there was blocked, I then took a long way there, I drove 15 mins and then that road into the town was blocked too, I then took an even longer way and then that road was blocked too, when I finally got into the town the police stopped me and asked me to wait until the parade was finished so I had to sit there and watch it.

I also remember driving 50 minutes to get to Derry a few years ago, I had to drive back as the main road into the city was blocked because of some parade in August.
    Intresting! Can you show us a map of this intresting predicament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The cast of Derry Girls are being billed to appear on Nolan Live tonight at 10:40 on BBC NI.

Edit: For those who missed it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Found that ending to be quite powerful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Top class mix of comedy and drama in that..

.. Dolores would've loved it!

But it's a close second to my favourite comedy performance of 'Like A Prayer'...

• Advertisement

Found that ending to be quite powerful

Ending with the Omagh bombing that really changed the North I think was powerful and maybe the 2nd series will be about the peace process and how community changed

Advertisement