Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought that episode was great. I found it much better than last week.

Michelle to James when he complains about the history workload: "if yous lot had of stopped invading us every 5 mins we'd have a lot less to read.. English prick!"

https://twitter.com/Mc1988/status/954119702183325698

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Sparko

I like the nun, very droll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Loved the Atari 2600 in the bedroom, proper authentic detail of the time.

Thought last weeks episode was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

"What does Our Lady of Sorrows have to be smirking about" :D
    Few good one liners tonight though including the Mr Nice Guy one above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"Pat Sharp is definitely a dick!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Seriously, what is the story with Erin's facial expressions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Good episode for me. Some nice jokes.
    'Dose'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

“We get the jist they ran out of spuds everyone was raging”

M

This tune coming in on the final scene, takes me back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They have some really good lines in this show. I just wish they'd tone it down a bit..they don't need all the weird faces and over acting with it when theres decent script. Sometimes its just a bit cringe! But I'm enjoying it none the less

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I thought it was very funny tonight, Michelle's utter disdain of James is hilarious. She's definitely the star of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

wakka12 wrote: »
    They have some really good lines in this show. I just wish they'd tone it down a bit..they don't need all the weird faces and over acting with it when theres decent script. Sometimes its just a bit cringe! But I'm enjoying it none the less

I'm just leaning into it now, so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Is this just Mrs Brown for Nordies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Thought it was poor enough tonight. I did enjoy the joke about the brits invading every 5 minutes though. The nun is very good too

M

me_irl wrote: »

I think you could call it a sort of female Inbetweeners meets Father Ted meets Moone Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The weeping statue storyline was pretty much taken from an Only Fools and Horses episode just with dog urine replacing rain. Still it's a harmless and fun 30 minutes with some sharp dialogue.

The weeping statue storyline was pretty much taken from an Only Fools and Horses episode just with dog urine replacing rain. Still it's a harmless and fun 30 minutes with some sharp dialogue.

Thought of that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

me_irl wrote: »

It's a little bit more subtle but still a fairly middle of the road sitcom imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

what defines a nordie? sure Donegal have near enough the same accents as Derry.

The last time I saw Fr Peter he was playing a Gaelic Footballer giving his gay team mate a hard time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As much as I want to like this, it's been downhill all the way for me.

First episode was excellent, second quite good, this one was pretty poor IMO.

Only the amusement of the local lines (me stomach thinks me throat is cut) kept me entertained but I really hope it picks up again.

If it continues the downward slide I'll be very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

what defines a nordie? sure Donegal have near enough the same accents as Derry.

Wash your mouth out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

As far as I can tell the nuns office is set here on the right, it's St Marys teaching college in Falls Road Belfast

St-marys-university-college-668x300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Couldn’t disagree with Michelle’s last line in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Brilliant series. I havent laughed out loud so much watching a programme in ages. I think the actress playing the head nun is hilarious. I think there is only 6 episodes, hopefully they'll make more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id say british people find it very hard to understand? Theres a good few times during the episode I didn't understand the lines because the accent was so strong

daithi84 wrote: »
    Brilliant series. I havent laughed out loud so much watching a programme in ages. I think the actress playing the head nun is hilarious. I think there is only 6 episodes, hopefully they'll make more.

A second series has already been announced

M

Just a heads up, tomorrow night at 11.15 on BBC2 yer wan who plays Michelle Mallon, Jamie-Lee O'Donnell will feature in a film about abortion, will be interesting to see her in a different role...
    In early 2017, she was part of an ambitious tour of venues across England and Ireland with Liverpool-based theatre company 20 Stories High. Their innovative production, I Told My Mum I Was Going On An RE Trip, shared verbatim real-world stories about abortion in the 21st century.

"It's very different to other things that I've done, which have been comedies, mostly. It was a very topical piece and BBC Two picked it up for their Performance Live season. It was filmed a few months ago, in a documentary style, and I play various different characters in the piece," she says.

The finished film will be broadcast on BBC Two this weekend. "I can't wait for people to see it. I'd love to do more stuff like it in the future," she says.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/meet-derry-girls-breakout-star-jamielee-odonnell-who-plays-everyones-favourite-character-michelle-36500384.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

brian_t wrote: »
    Haven't seen Kevin McAleer for a long time. I always enjoyed his monologues.

Just watched the first 2 episodes.

Had only seen the odd ad for it and took little heed of it but my wife download it tonight

Loved it, thought it was brilliant.

McAleer as Uncle Colm made me crack up, after they set the scene for him earlier with the phone call.

More McAleer, that's what this country, needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Just got around to watching the first episode now - honestly, a little disappointed. The main problem was I just didn't really laugh.

But I'll stick with it because the cast had decent chemistry. We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DrPhilG wrote: »
    As much as I want to like this, it's been downhill all the way for me.

First episode was excellent, second quite good, this one was pretty poor IMO.

Only the amusement of the local lines (me stomach thinks me throat is cut) kept me entertained but I really hope it picks up again.

If it continues the downward slide I'll be very disappointed.

I thought that the 2nd was better than the 1st, mainly due to Kevin McAleer. Third wasn't great at all.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Id say british people find it very hard to understand? Theres a good few times during the episode I didn't understand the lines because the accent was so strong

Subtitles are your friend.

Advertisement