Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you experience much snobbery in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have lived across in Ferrybank for almost 8 years now on one of the estates out on the Abbey Road. I would be originally from the Cleaboy area of town. Never had a bit of hassle and the views from the top of Abbey Road are fab. On a clear summers evening you have a great view of the Comeragh mountains. And speaking of the Dunmore Rd area, the Abbey Road is actually adjacent to it and only separated by the River Suir. The only downside to living in Ferrybank is the traffic on the dual carriageway @ peak times. I can walk to town (or at least the bridge hotel) in about twenty mins. Then again that's for another thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Lived in Ballybeg all my life.
    Have a great job,Plenty of disposable income and probably wouldn't want to live anywhere else.Jumped at the chance when a house came up for sale at a reasonable price and haven't looked back since
    Theres a real sense of community and some of the best people you'll ever meet.Of course most dont drive Audis or go on 3 holidays a year but i'd rather have neighbours that have your back then not really knowing who lives next door to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I heard a woman in town yesterday,about 55 or so, talking to her friend about her son managing to get mortgage approval for his house, and I quote "and thankfully its on the RIGHT side of town, he is near the hospital, and he has Ardkeen stores to shop in, I was worried he might end up God knows where at the other side of town".

I was angered at shocked at this view. Now, I know there is a certain section in Waterford who think that the city begins in the Park and ends in Dunmore and walk around like their sh!t down stink, you get that in every city but I'm surprised anyone would think that all other areas are the "wrong" part of Waterford, Most of my mates are salt of the earth and from places like Lismore Hillview and inner city and they are the nicest people you could meet.

Does anyone else experience a snobby divide in Waterford in their daily life?

Strangely I see nothing at all snobbish about that quote.
    What is RIGHT for her son, might well be WRONG for me ... for instance if I worked in a city centre hotel or such then I might well want to live close to my place of employment, so out near Ardkeen would be WRONG for me.

On the other hand if I had a child that required hospitalisation regularly, or special attention, then I might consider near Ardkeen to be RIGHT for me.

Lots of things influence where we would like to live ..... some more important than others.
    Snobbishness is probably far down on the list, if it really exists at all.

I would not consider it snobbish to want to raise my kids in a safe environment, so that would be a factor ....... but you might consider that snobbish.

I think this thread says more about you than it does about that woman you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I would not consider it snobbish to want to raise my kids in a safe environment, so that would be a factor ....... but you might consider that snobbish.

I think this thread says more about you than it does about that woman you quoted.

No, she was being snobby about her statement. I know you are a bit sore since our last interaction but try to take that out of the debate. To add a bit of context to her statement, tone and body language speak louder than words. She wrinkled her nose at the thought of the "Wrong" side of town, as if any property outside of the Dunmore Road was actually physically contagious.

Your first statement- do you believe any area of Waterford city outside of Dunmore is not safe??

• Advertisement

No, she was being snobby about her statement. I know you are a bit sore since our last interaction but try to take that out of the debate.

Hahahahahaha ....... I do not even remember a previous interaction.
    Try to take that out of your interpretation ;) (whatever it was)

To add a bit of context to her statement, tone and body language speak louder than words. She wrinkled her nose at the thought of the "Wrong" side of town, as if any property outside of the Dunmore Road was actually physically contagious.

Ah, so it was not just a overheard conversation snippet, but you also closely observed the woman and know her well enough that you understand not only exactly what she meant but also what her facial expressions meant.

Fair enough .... maybe you should have said so in the first place instead of letting us believe she was a stranger to you.

Your first statement- do you believe any area of Waterford city outside of Dunmore is not safe??
    You referring to this?
    Strangely I see nothing at all snobbish about that quote.

How does your question relate to that?

Your post said "I would not consider it snobbish to want to raise my kids in a safe environment" so my question is, would you personally consider any areas outside of the Dunmore Road to be unsafe and all areas within Dunmore Road to be safe? Just trying to understand your opinion.

Your post said "I would not consider it snobbish to want to raise my kids in a safe environment" so my question is, would you personally consider any areas outside of the Dunmore Road to be unsafe and all areas within Dunmore Road to be safe? Just trying to understand your opinion.

No.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the magican

Dunmore road are utter snobs thats a well known fact, i rented out there years ago and nobody knows there neighbours or bothers with them no sense of community all for thereself. Horrible place never again, would love to see a halting site built out that way it would take down a peg or 2, obviously it will never happen they would block it but still one can wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Waterford.

The best county in Oireland between Wexford and Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

always laugh at mass statements like this, plenty of community about everywhere you go in the world. might need to look in the mirror there lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A snob in Ireland's the highest rate of social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

This thread is focking hilarious, must tell the goys at the club about it, haw haw! Don't ye know most of the people "from the Dunmore road" are not actually from the Dunmore road? 90% of the population out this way are blow-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Blow-ins from Ballybricken and Ferrybank. Most of these snobs' parents were factory workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I don't know too many Audi drivers that go on three holidays a year but maybe I'm not living in those areas!

But don't knock them if they do, good luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

we've just bought a house after years and years of trying. it's not out the dunmore road and not in the middle of town either. we're delighted with the location and so is my family and hers. buying a house this day in age, regardless of where, should be celebrated

Back in the '90s you could buy a house in John's Street for 3 grand. That was the model then, buy cheap for a few years then sell up and move out the Dunmore Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Its not just the Dunmore Road where the snobs are......It's human nature.

I was brought up in Ballybeg. I had a music teacher in the 80s who grew up in Hennessy Road who liked nothing better than to tell disparaging jokes about Ballybeg. He was still living with his mother at the time which for a 30 year old man would have been embarrising (back then).

Guess where my neighbours were mostly from.None other than Hennessys Road and "The Knock".They all knew this teacher from when they were young and said as well as being a mammy's boy was a right little delinquent.

On another note I know someone who works in the plan hire game in Waterford. He told me he was delivering s cement mixer to a house in Ballybeg. The woman of the house so to speak was someone we both knew and very pretentious.Got the elocution lessons off of the Ursuline nuns you see....But at the end of the day she grew up in Rice Park. He had to phone her to get the correct address which was Ballybeg Park. Given address was.....Crystal View.

Alas Crystal View no more......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....theres no such thing as a ballybeg address, its the 'cork rd'!

When I was there the addresses were xxx Ballybeg Whatever Cork Road Waterford. If you said "The Cork Road" it typically meant the Cork Road Estate.

Who's the music-teacher snob, lots of them in Waterford. Does he realise a guy who grey up in Ballybeg went on to write music books for the Leaving Cert.

The majority of people in Ballybeg are sound, its just a few families that give the bad name. I find it more amusing that places like Comeragh Green consider themselves middle class just because there are a few snots living there. I have a mate from there and his neighbour is always talking about how to "increase" the tone of the area as if it were Kings Channel and not the top of the town! That sadly happens a lot when 2 or 3 households get notions about themselves and start to project that mindset on to new and old neighbours.

A snob in Waterford is like a someone playing three guitar chords and calling themselves a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

Just curious lad, why do you bother with the Waterford forum, never once saw you post anything constructive.

Did some blaa steal you wife, lack or lunch money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

People in county Waterford can be quite snobby to the city. Found it funny that people in the county decided it was the whole of county Waterford was voted best place to live in Ireland by the Irish Times. When in fact it was just Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

I know a few people who think their **** don't stink. They're all fooking idiots. Notions lads, notions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

30 years playing, and not a single chord learned, but im still a guitaring god!

Advertisement