Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Little Less Conversation..

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

splinter65 wrote: »
    She was happily abducted by roadies of Jimmys on his instructions and lived with him for about 6 years until she realized she was being replaced by younger girls.
    The mistake people are making is trying to apply what’s unacceptable now to another era.
    The other big problem is, these girls all had parents who didn’t seem to be bothered about their young teenagers being missing.
    It’s a difficult issue to get past.
    There’s a legend about LZ in a hotel room with a girl and a fish that makes tough reading and would result in arrests and end of career stuff if it happened now, but is still bragged about and remembered fondly because it happened “back then”.

We are of the same mind.

One of my favourite radio presenters was due to do an interview with one of the people who claimed to be part of the fish incident - it could have been Richard Cole (not sure). When the presenter read the guy's book and found out he was bragging about such a vile act, he cancelled the interview. This happened a few months ago.

Much respect for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

We are of the same mind.

One of my favourite radio presenters was due to do an interview with one of the people who claimed to be part of the fish incident - it could have been Richard Cole (not sure). When the presenter read the guy's book and found out he was bragging about such a vile act, he cancelled the interview. This happened a few months ago.

Much respect for that.

They should have sent Dave Lee Travis to do the interview

What's you favourite Gary Glitter Christmas song, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Right but it's still pretty gross on behalf of the Rock Stars. I mean they could have just slept with girls 18+, I'm sure there were 1000s of them available too.

You would have to have some idea of the chaos and madness surrounding these “parties”.
    Everyone either drunk or high, rock stars, roadies, managers, agents, local celebrities, other hangers on, TVs being thrown from hotel windows into the swimming pool 20 floors below, loud music bellowing, beautiful women swanning about either topless or naked...
    Do you really think someone was going to go around saying”excuse me young lady have you got ID please?”

DLT was cleared of any impropriety as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You would have to have some idea of the chaos and madness surrounding these “parties”.
    Everyone either drunk or high, rock stars, roadies, managers, agents, local celebrities, other hangers on, TVs being thrown from hotel windows into the swimming pool 20 floors below, loud music bellowing, beautiful women swanning about either topless or naked...
    Do you really think someone was going to go around saying”excuse me young lady have you got ID please?”

No and I know it was a different time, maybe sex with underage girls wasn't a big deal back then and I'd have thought the same if I was alive then, but just now I don't get why they were doing it given the options they had, if you read into that Maddox girl's story it was like Bowie specifically looked for her when she was in town

No and I know it was a different time, maybe sex with underage girls wasn't a big deal back then and I'd have thought the same if I was alive then, but just now I don't get why they were doing it given the options they had, if you read into that Maddox girl's story it was like Bowie specifically looked for her when she was in town

Lori Maddox was and is very pretty and she seemed very comfortable and engaging company even at 14 but most importantly, and interestingly, as an adult, she has absolutely no complaints or regrets about her experiences whatsoever and is happy to reminisce fondly about the rock stars she slept with.
    There are other less famous “super groupies” too none of whom seem to want to complain even in this #metoo atmosphere.
    It’s interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

All the lambs keep buying the greatest hits album every Christmas.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    All the lambs keep buying the greatest hits album every Christmas.

People love the music, and they don’t care about the morality of the musicians.
    Why should they?

People love the music, and they don’t care about the morality of the musicians.
    Why should they?

I don't know...

While I agreed with you that we can't always apply what’s unacceptable now to another era. Like black-facing for example: you can look at it and say it is socially unacceptable now - but it was never illegal when it was happening in the 70s.

The thing with Page was he pretty much kidnapped Mattix and hid her away from the public. He knew what he was doing was illegal... I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy a record that led to him getting a royalty cheque. And it does sit uneasy with me, knowing this.

Much like Phil Spector or as previously mentioned Gary Glitter, something about the art is tainted forever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At the time Elvis Presley died in 1977, he had 150 impersonators in the US. Now, according to calculations I spotted in a Sunday newspaper colour supplement recently, there are 85,000. Intriguingly, that means one in every 3,400 Americans is an Elvis impersonator. More disturbingly, if Elvis impersonators continue multiplying at the same rate, they will account for a third of the world’s population by 2019.

At the time Elvis Presley died in 1977, he had 150 impersonators in the US. Now, according to calculations I spotted in a Sunday newspaper colour supplement recently, there are 85,000. Intriguingly, that means one in every 3,400 Americans is an Elvis impersonator. More disturbingly, if Elvis impersonators continue multiplying at the same rate, they will account for a third of the world’s population by 2019.

Frightening

Advertisement