Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE sports awards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yet Moran won the POTY over O'Callaghan...

:rolleyes:

The award isn't called the sportsperson whose team won the most trophies award man...

Silly argument. POTY was for one sport.

O'Callaghan's achievements are unique because he won All-Ireland medals across different sports and across different levels. He has won more All-Ireland medals in one year than Andy Moran will win in a lifetime.

That aside, I still scratch my head and wonder how, other than a sympathy vote, a player who disappeared at half-time in an All-Ireland final his team lost managed to get POTY. They should rename it the Mayo consolation prize after Lee picking it up the year before. Think I will go out and put money on AOS or Cillian winning it next year after they miss a winning chance in the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    That aside, I still scratch my head and wonder how, other than a sympathy vote, a player who disappeared at half-time in an All-Ireland final his team lost managed to get POTY. They should rename it the Mayo consolation prize after Lee picking it up the year before. Think I will go out and put money on AOS or Cillian winning it next year after they miss a winning chance in the All-Ireland.

Maybe start from the undeniable reality that those who have voted for these awards - the players - know far more about it than you do, and work backwards from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Yet Moran won the POTY over O'Callaghan...

:rolleyes:

The award isn't called the sportsperson whose team won the most trophies award man...

So are you now saying Mayo are a one man team and all they achieved last year was down to one man?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Maybe start from the undeniable reality that those who have voted for these awards - the players - know far more about it than you do, and work backwards from there.

POTY is picked by a panel of journalists and pundits. Not that I begrudge Andy Moran. It is fairer system than texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Firstly, many of them won't have seen as much championship football as I did.

Secondly, that doesn't make them immune from giving a sympathy vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The all Stars are short listed by journalists, and voted for by the players.

All Star Hurler and Footballer of the year is short listed and voted for by journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

Stoner wrote: »
    The all Stars are short listed by journalists, and voted for by the players.

All Star Hurler and Footballer of the year is short listed and voted for by journalists.

As much as Dubs keep trying to tell everyone the POTY awards are voted for by the players and noone else

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

cms88 wrote:
    As much as Dubs keep trying to tell everyone the POTY awards are voted for by the players and noone else
    I'm open to correction but the Hurler and footballers of the year awards were not always all stars they were separate competitions Texaco And GAA All Stars and it was always a panel that selected Hurler and footballers of the year while the players select the All Stars in the different positions.

Again I could be wrong but these awards merged when Texaco stopped their sponsorship but the voting mechanism remained as it was for the 40 or 50 years of it's existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Dots1982 wrote: »
    There haven’t been that many players I’ve seen in an Irish jersey less gifted than McClean. A decent lad and tries his best but desperately limited.

You havent watched very much Ireland soccer so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I get why McClean won the individual award.

Hugely passionate on the pitch and equally comes across as a player that loves playing for Ireland when he speaks off the pitch. Fans can identify with him.

Scored some important goals during the campaign and was easily Ireland best player overall throughout the campaign albeit in a team of weak enough players. He's also playing with the International team of the sport that most people can identify with i.e. soccer popularity is much larger than rugby.

I can understand how he got it.

What i can't understand is how a feckin show jumping team, a hugely minority sport, can win team of the year on the back of a European medal. Nobody even knew they had won it. People would easily get caught up if they won an Olympic gold but this was way off that. Baffling.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Paulzx wrote: »
    What i can't understand is how a feckin show jumping team, a hugely minority sport, can win team of the year on the back of a European medal. Nobody even knew they had won it. People would easily get caught up if they won an Olympic gold but this was way off that. Baffling.......

I can only assume there must have been some sort of orchestrated campaign in horsey circles to vote for them because otherwise I don't know how they beat out some of the much more high profile teams they did. Even if you wanted to go with an Ireland team then surely the rowers received much more publicity over the course of the year.

I'd consider myself fairly well up on a big variety of sports and I didn't even know the show jumpers had won anything until I saw them nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Perceptions are a very interesting thing.
    Plenty of people on here and on Facebook talking about how Taylor should of won.... likely completely unaware most boxing fans wouldn't put her #1.
    Ryan Burnett was head and shoulders above her with what he's done, but sadly people don't even know who he is.

Canning was excellent this year, but Sports person of the year ?, I think not....then again McClean probably shouldn't of been ahead of him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    Firstly, many of them won't have seen as much championship football as I did.

Secondly, that doesn't make them immune from giving a sympathy vote.

How do you know they wont have seen as much championship football? Id argue they will have seen far more, in far greater detail, with a far higher level of understanding, and furthermore, many will have actually played against these guys themselves.

An actual player giving a sympathy vote, is exponentially less likely, than a biased fan, who doesn't really know what he is talking about, just being p*ssed off because his team don't get literally every single award going, and thus not being able to bring themselves to give a deserving guy his award.. A fanboy if you will...
    It is one or the other in this instance. The smart money is on you being that fanboy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Joe ward should have been in the reckoning. European champion (again) and a world silver medallist in a very competitive weight division in a very competitive sport.

Advertisement