Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The plight of the Irish Fisherman

Options
  • 16-12-2017 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

We basically traded a large portion of our rich fishing waters for ag subsidies to the EU. I remember a Norwegian jounalist writing an article in the Indo a few years back, he was puzzled that we didn't have a larger fishing industry considering our potential.

The Irish fleet seems to have remained stagnant for years, no growth, old vessells and outdated systems. Coming up against modern Euro super trawlers.

I know in Britain that the fishing community were one of the strongest proponents for Brexit. Fighting back against illogical quotas, trawlers having to dump dead fish into the sea etc.

A dirty dangerous job, I respect all who do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We basically traded a large portion of our rich fishing waters for ag subsidies to the EU. I remember a Norwegian jounalist writing an article in the Indo a few years back, he was puzzled that we didn't have a larger fishing industry considering our potential.

The Irish fleet seems to have remained stagnant for years, no growth, old vessells and outdated systems. Coming up against modern Euro super trawlers.

I know in Britain that the fishing community were one of the strongest proponents for Brexit. Fighting back against illogical quotas, trawlers having to dump dead fish into the sea etc.

Is this the official thought for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

No it's just a Cod from the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

There’s probably a better plaice for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Don't rise to the bait Deft.

Perhaps just fishing for compliments?

• Advertisement

Looking for a quick way to make a few squid?

Might be better off spending their time on a tug?

That could hold for the boat of us I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Davy Jones's Locker? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Fishing is an industry in trouble globally because of overfishing. Meanwhile, our agricultural output is in high demand. I think we got the better end of the bargain.

I do believe I have netted myself a troll I reeled you right in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Is there women Fishermen?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Is there women Fishermen?

Don't.:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Fishing isn't really sustainable the way things are going. Fish farming seems to cause serious problems too. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just be sensible for once and stop fishing for 5 years or so in all European waters? Let the stocks replenish. Maybe they could pay fishermen some kind of living wage in the meantime to shut them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I do believe I have netted myself a troll I reeled you right in.

You’re talking pollocks, pal.

You’re talking pollocks, pal.

That was a very shark comment but I will let it pass your having a whale of a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

At least its not the farmers that are whinging

Know a few stuck in it here in the South West.

Absolutely loaded. But a tough life alright.

The EU reforms killed off the smaller operators and small boats that couldn't go out for weeks on end, and put an end to a way of life in many ports. On the other hand, it's happened, and it was the makings of places like Castletownbere with superb facilities where locals spend millions on trawlers and think nothing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is the sole porpoise of this thread to plaice emphasis on the cod the EU has made of the fishing industry? It's a red herring if so, as stocks were doomed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

This is embarrassing
    Im floundering trying to think of a good fish pun.

This is embarrassing

You have no talent and I would bet that is reflected in your NET income.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ah, that crusty old myth.....

200 mile limits only came into being in the late 70s, long after we joined the EEC.

Up until then we only had the old 3 and 12 mile limits.

We never, ever had an oceanic fishing tradition like the Norwegians, Spanish, Dutch, UK etc In fact, the EEC acted as a spur to us developing a decent off-shore capability.

And yes, absolute respect and kudos for anyone working on any vessel, on or off-shore. They definitely earn their money.

This is embarrassing

It's not embarrassing.......

......it's brill :D

.....you need to turbot charge your thinking to get some good puns.

By the way, a lot of skippers work on their own......their sole traders!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There's great reading on the Bord Uisce Mhara site. Great breakdown of the history of Irish fishing industry and Irish consumer preferences in the past and to where Ireland is now.
    Effectively it shows how Ireland's fishing industry never really exploited its potential up into the 70's. Equipment was dated, exports were poor and local tastes weren't into fish.

I find it funny that most people I hear ranting on with "they took our fish!" In pub conversations are people that wouldn't work on a trawler in a fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's not embarrassing.......

......it's brill :D

.....you need to turbot charge your thinking to get some good puns.

By the way, a lot of skippers work on their own......their sole traders!

i'd better get my skates on so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I don't know, people are trawling the ocean floor, wrecking entire ecosystems. What's to admire about these people? We just need to stop eating fish for a while. I love seafood and fish but would gladly leave it alone for a few years to replenish stocks.

I don't know, people are trawling the ocean floor, wrecking entire ecosystems. What's to admire about these people? We just need to stop eating fish for a while. I love seafood and fish but would gladly leave it alone for a few years to replenish stocks.

Why are you being so crabby?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There was more votes in farming

Sold down the river

Trawling isn't the only method of fishing.....

btw, catch method and catch area can be found on most fish these days - just go for the line-caught or seined fish from sustainably exploited fisheries - it's still not perfect, but at least is not as destructive as trawling......

......and if you really want to save the planet stop eating beef and other farmed meat (the water resources they consume are horrendous) and stop using plastic.....

......now I'm off for a bot of surf 'n' turf!!!

OP I think this whole subject is just a Red Herring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

When I sea how much plastic and rubbish washes up on my local beach, I'd say they are catching more plastic than fish.

I've completely gone off fish recently. Just can't get over the psychology of eating plastic that fish have digested.

It's a pity our world is so polluted!

Advertisement