Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say something nice about Bono or U2

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

U2 is a great business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Lyrically, a lot their 80s and early 90s stuff is great.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Based on people I know who are vocal about disliking him, you’d be wrong. He’s a vainglorious gasbag. Of course that’s going to get people’s backs up. But nope, duuurrrrr begrudgery. DERP!

Again, I never said that EVERY person who dislikes Bono or has something negative to say about him is a begrudger.

But you're kidding yourself if you think there's no element of begrudgery in the hordes of "pox on Dublin/midget tax dodger" comments that inevitably follow any article or thread that references him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Again, I never said that EVERY person who dislikes Bono or has something negative to say about him is a begrudger.

But you're kidding yourself if you think there's no element of begrudgery in the hordes of "pox on Dublin/midget tax dodger" comments that inevitably follow any article or thread that references him.

Why do other Irish celebrities get much less, if any, hate? He’s a pampered, preachy sickener. You don’t have to be a begrudger to be nauseated by that.

“Begrudgery” is the most bovine phrase in use on boards, utterly glib too. Change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No. That's all. Just no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

murpho999 wrote: »
    I never get the hate in Ireland for Bono.

He doesn’t have extreme political views, promotes peace and does a lot of charity work.

Arguably Ireland’s most famous living person who is well received abroad and despite what U2 as a company do, he personally pays taxes in Ireland.

Gets called a tax dodger but that's not Bono but U2 the company. He will still pay personal taxes in Ireland.

Heard from a mate of mine that attended the funeral of a golf buddy of his. He was carpenter.

Both Bono and Edge were at the funeral as he had done work in their houses. They were there no fuss, entourage etc. Just paying their respects like the rest of the mourners.

Of course people here will just slate them out of no other reasons than spite and begrudgery.
    All true. But the reason people don't like Bono is, well, he comes across as a patronising dick. Someone from a middle class family but comes across as if he born of the Northist of Northside.

Personally, I can see past his annoying personality (now), and recognise the good he has done, across the spectrum.

Also, I do like Sweetest Thing.

And i suppose Mysterious Ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

I liked ALL THAT YOU CAN LEAVE BEHIND

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Amazing band live, I was there in the front row 81 in Slane when they supported Thin Lizy

I’ve sang and screamed and danced and cried to their music. They habe around for some of the happiest and sadest times of my life

Sucessful talented fcukers that reached their potential, who so they think they are?
    Irish people are such begrudgers.

One - Screaming it out with friends on the 4th of July driving along

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Infernum wrote: »
    They're just barely more tolerable than the Boomtown Rats.

Whatever anyone thinks of Bono, U2 are a vastly superior band to The Boomtown Rats. It's a pointless comparison.

And while U2's more recent stuff isn't great they have a back catalogue from the 80s and 90s that would stand alongside any band or musician from that era. Even if you don't like Bono that fact remains true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bono has never been accused of molesting a dwarf. Never mind convicted. Not even a single accusation!

Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I like the way u2 stuck to their promise(more or less) to give Dave Fanning first play of any new music.
    They were on the Dave Fanning show yesterday for 2 hours and another hour this morning going through the songs on there new album. Recorded in bonos house with him, Dave and the edge. Great stuff I must say, I'll be tuning in again this morning. 9am on 2fm if anyone cares.

Advertisement