Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say something nice about Bono or U2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Bono's dyed toupee and high heels are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

His 80 courics is quite the achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Name is easy to spell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

They're nearing retirement......woohoo that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

i haven't seen him on tv or heard him sqwalking on radio in a long time... that's a good thing , only problem is he's bound to appear next week preaching about something or other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

murpho999 wrote: »
    Gets called a tax dodger but that's not Bono but U2 the company.

I suppose he is great at keeping a straight face.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Any other rock group is better than U2. That’s a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I've never met him or thankfully been in the same building

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The Joshua Tree is a great album.

Bono is a preachy jumped up git though.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Name is easy to spell!!

O-nob backwards - suits him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I met him once.
    Introduced by a mutual friend.
    He was quite pleasant and friendly.
    (So was I).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

They don't add to the workload of Revenue employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Joshua Tree is legitamitely one of the greastest albums ever released.

I purchased the vinly version recently. Absolute classs, listening to it right now with a beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

murpho999 wrote: »
    I never get the hate in Ireland for Bono.

He doesn’t have extreme political views, promotes peace and does a lot of charity work.

Arguably Ireland’s most famous living person who is well received abroad and despite what U2 as a company do, he personally pays taxes in Ireland.

Gets called a tax dodger but that's not Bono but U2 the company. He will still pay personal taxes in Ireland.

Heard from a mate of mine that attended the funeral of a golf buddy of his. He was carpenter.

Both Bono and Edge were at the funeral as he had done work in their houses. They were there no fuss, entourage etc. Just paying their respects like the rest of the mourners.

Of course people here will just slate them out of no other reasons than spite and begrudgery.

If it was plain old begrudgery, wouldn’t other famous Irish people get treated the same? Many people don’t like him because he’s a high profile gasbag. Simple as that.

Praising a guy for going to the funeral of someone they know? That’s damning with faint praise if ever I heard it. Why would that be publicised?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

mad muffin wrote: »
    They’re not hitler.

Or one of those mad fellas.

The amount of hate Bono and Bob Geldof get is absolutely ridiculous. Yes they have both said some stupid things over the years and come across as sanctimonious at times. Neither of them are perfect, how dare they! But they've both done far more in raising money and awareness for worthwhile causes around the world than any of the bitter, stick-up-ass naysayers jumping over themselves to talk them down. Willing to bet that half the shítetalkers who say they can't stand Bono just do so because it's the done thing.

Also U2's musical output is very hit-and-miss, but when they're at their best they are seriously damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

Great band, great frontman.

The amount of hate Bono and Bob Geldof get is absolutely ridiculous. Yes they have both said some stupid things over the years and come across as sanctimonious at times. Neither of them are perfect, how dare they! But they've both done far more in raising money and awareness for worthwhile causes around the world than any of the bitter, stick-up-ass naysayers jumping over themselves to talk them down. Willing to bet that half the shítetalkers who say they can't stand Bono just do so because it's the done thing.

Also U2's musical output is very hit-and-miss, but when they're at their best they are seriously damn good.

You have no idea what anyone who says they don’t like Bono has or hasn’t achieved in their life. Such an inane angle to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I reckon that they would be a great bunch of lads to spend a night out with, not as great as the Chinese but great none the less.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    You have no idea what anyone who says they don’t like Bono has or hasn’t achieved in their life. Such an inane angle to take.

It would be an inane angle to take, which is why that's not what I actually said.
    Of course not everyone has to like Bono but I think it's safe enough to assume those who are most vocal about tearing him down with the clichéd "blah blah midget taxes rabble" shíte are unlikely to have contributed anything of much significance to the world. Empty vessels and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

They are one of the most successful bands ever like them or hate them thats a fact.

It would be an inane angle to take, which is why that's not what I actually said.
    Of course not everyone has to like Bono but I think it's safe enough to assume those who are most vocal about tearing him down with the clichéd "blah blah midget taxes rabble" shíte are unlikely to have contributed anything of much significance to the world. Empty vessels and all that.

Based on people I know who are vocal about disliking him, you’d be wrong. He’s a vainglorious gasbag. Of course that’s going to get people’s backs up. But nope, duuurrrrr begrudgery. DERP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I really wish Bono would just stick to music rather than lecturing the rest of the world about world poverty. Its very easy when you are a wealthy musician like himself to virtue signal why do all these rich and famous folks have such an inflated ego of themselves and think they know whats best for the rest of us like Geldof telling people
    in the UK how stupid they were to be voting Brexit not that it makes any difference to him one way or another nothing that affects ordinary people affect people like Bono and Geldof so i wish they would shut the hell up because they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

Exactly, just stick to acting/singing/composing. Once you become famous, you lose touch to an extent. No grown adult likes to be hectored about how they should live their life, especially by a pampered sheleb. It has nothing to do with begrudgery or even doubting the famous person’s talents. (though honestly, Geldof is light on talent)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Without or Without You is a terrific song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

We dont hear from them as much as we used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I’ve never referred to him as Bono and my ex actually broke up with me over it, she’s a massive U2 fan.

I always call him Paul Hewson and she freaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dub.

Bono has only ever earned from U2 the same as their average English bass player Adam Clayton. Bono sure isn`t greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They had soul with the first four albums

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The shot of confidence their success gave the city and its younger inhabitants in the mid to late 80s was absolutely palpable. Dublin came to life & in doing so, shook off a great deal of the torpor and malaise it had suffered under the soft totalitarianism of Fianna Fail & the Catholic church.

Advertisement