Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returned to using bus afters years. Bus Eireann and their drivers still incompetent.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

I heard that drivers not too worried to call in sick anytime, so that might explain long waiting times for some buses.its not that they are late, there are none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

cgcsb wrote: »
    He said he wasn't rostered to go into the City

Apologies for suggesting that you might have thought that he didn't go in to the city centre for the fun of it.

I wonder, was there another driver due to take over from him, at the airport, to drive to Bus Aras, and then drive the next scheduled service to Galway from Bus Aras?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 joxerb

Always found most drivers sound.

flintash wrote: »
    I heard that drivers not too worried to call in sick anytime, so that might explain long waiting times for some buses.its not that they are late, there are none at all.

Where'd you hear that? From Regina Doherty perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Where'd you hear that? From Regina Doherty perhaps?

From your fellow coworker...
    ...pick up the coat.....

• Advertisement

flintash wrote: »
    From your fellow coworker...
    ...pick up the coat.....

As I understand it, the main reason for that cancellations that were occurring to services in the Eastern region since mid September, was due to drivers who were due to operate a number of different services, being instructed, on particular days, to operate services on the new NX route, instead of the other services.

As I understand it, this is the main reason for cancellations of particular services on the other routes, including the 133, 126, 109A and 103 services.

As I understand it, when a driver - whose regular route is one of these other services, for example the 133, 126, 109A and 103 services - was instructed to operate particular scheduled services on the NX route, it very often meant that there was no driver available to operate the particular scheduled service on the other routes, that these drivers had originally been rostered to operate.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-northeast-drivers-3691403-Nov2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

As I understand it, the main reason for that cancellations that were occurring to services in the Eastern region since mid September, was due to drivers who were due to operate a number of different services, being instructed, on particular days, to operate services on the new NX route, instead of the other services.

As I understand it, this is the main reason for cancellations of particular services on the other routes, including the 133, 126, 109A and 103 services.

As I understand it, when a driver - whose regular route is one of these other services, for example the 133, 126, 109A and 103 services - was instructed to operate particular scheduled services on the NX route, it very often meant that there was no driver available to operate the particular scheduled service on the other routes, that these drivers had originally been rostered to operate.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-northeast-drivers-3691403-Nov2017/

Hold on (I'm open to the possibility I may be misunderstanding and am prepared to stand corrected)....but...ugh just (bang head on table)...so they take drivers from routes like the 133 that are pretty busy, and they are putting them on the NX services to Navan where there is a bus every 20-30 minutes and they are often half empty?
    What kind of resource allocation is that?

What does this have to do with Translink complaining and having to put up signs in Newry and Belfast GVS that BE are having issues with their busses where they don't have enough, and are not using double deckers all the time anymore
    The latter has left me waiting for the next bus.

It was choice but there were limited seats and i didn't want people who were in small groups to break up, plus i was on a pass and they'd paid so i decided to let them go ahead rather than leave one from a group stuck behind, but should not have had to be in that position surely

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Hold on (I'm open to the possibility I may be misunderstanding and am prepared to stand corrected)....but...ugh just (bang head on table)...so they take drivers from routes like the 133 that are pretty busy, and they are putting them on the NX services to Navan where there is a bus every 20-30 minutes and they are often half empty?
    What kind of resource allocation is that?

What does this have to do with Translink complaining and having to put up signs in Newry and Belfast GVS that BE are having issues with their busses where they don't have enough, and are not using double deckers all the time anymore
    The latter has left me waiting for the next bus.

It was choice but there were limited seats and i didn't want people who were in small groups to break up, plus i was on a pass and they'd paid so i decided to let them go ahead rather than leave one from a group stuck behind, but should not have had to be in that position surely

My understanding is that one of the main reasons for the cancellations that were occurring from late September and into October, was that Bus Éireann started the NX service, on the instruction of the NTA, but did not have enough drivers or buses in place, at the time the service began on 17th September 2017, to cover the every 20 minute frequency of the new NX service, and that drivers whose usual routes were on other services, were instructed on particular days to operate particular scheduled services of the new NX service, and that what was happening, as a result of that, was that there were particular scheduled services of the other routes, being cancelled.

I may be incorrect on that, but that is one of the reasons, that I heard, for the cancellations that were occurring.

That reason, would explain the quote in this item in The Journal, https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-northeast-drivers-3691403-Nov2017/

It quotes a driver:

“Look, this is all coming from the NTA (National Transport Association),” one source said. ”They contact Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Luas, etc, and say that Behaviour and Attitudes surveys say we need more services.”

"So you get the NX (Navan Expressway, launched on 19 September) launched to great fanfare. They tell us to provide it. But the company hasn’t sat down to see whether or not we actually can provide it. Do we have the buses? Do we have the drivers? The answer is no we don’t, and it’s knocked the whole applecart in the region".

There never was a proper explanation given, for what "service disruption" "due to operational reasons" actually meant.

"Service disruption" "due to operational reasons" was used regularly in the press releases on Bus Éireann's website, that detailed each week, in late September and October 2017, what cancellations were occurring.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2392&month=Sep

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2378&month=Sep

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Uproar in regards the 133 at the minute since they have completely ceased the 133 to Bray. Not just the Dublin Airport bus going into Bray, but they have ceased the ACTUAL Bray bus too. Allegedly until the 14th of Jan but a lot of the drivers are predicting they won't bring it back at all.

hdowney wrote: »
    Uproar in regards the 133 at the minute since they have completely ceased the 133 to Bray. Not just the Dublin Airport bus going into Bray, but they have ceased the ACTUAL Bray bus too. Allegedly until the 14th of Jan but a lot of the drivers are predicting they won't bring it back at all.

It states in the news item, dated 8th December, on Bus Éireann's website that the change is from 18th December till 14th January.

"We wish to advise customers that, from 18 December 2017 until 14 January 2018, Route 133, Wicklow – Ashford – Dublin – Dublin Airport, will be re-routed via the Upper Dargle Road to improve service reliability and punctuality. This is due to significant congestion being experienced in Bray town centre, and in line with customer feedback".

"Customers who wish to travel to Bray Town centre can connect via Dublin Bus from the Upper Dargle Road, or it is within walkable distance.
    Route 133 trips in the morning & evening peak that only operate between Bray & Wicklow will continue to operate via that current route.
    Friday, 8th December, 2017."

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2517&month=Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I was actually on the 133 the other day (Derry, Newry, Belfast, Wicklow...so what I get around, don't look at me like that shut up your face!!) and I had no idea where upper dargle road was and google maps very kindly took me on a 45 minute walk in a roundabout route when it was actually just at the end of the town and a short turn I could have been there in 10 minutes

It is actually a better stop because it skips Bray town which is an infamous bottle neck for busses (try getting a 145 through that area near rushhour you might take 45 min to get from Shankill to Bray town hall, DART would have you there in 5), but they did not bother to put a very good sign there.

First of all the sign at the top of Bray town where the old stop is...the existing timetable and BE pole is still there, and the sign telling you about the change is an A4 sheet lamented with cable-tie but turned facing out towards the road not, as common sense would dictate, put over the timetable box on the actual pole
    Second, the sign on the Upper Dargle Road stop is as bad, up the top of a dublin bus pole - no BE stop or even a halfway decent sign, you'd walk right past it assuming the thing was a DB stop, and half the stops along the route seem to be DB stops not BE stops.

The sooner the NTA combi-stops for all companies come in the better.

If the X1 disruptions mentioned above are due to the NX route, that appears to be stunning incompetence with regard to the agencies involved. There is a 4 step process when a govt minister wants to put a new law through, and most ministers are aggravated by it because it makes putting their ideas through slow, it can take 100 days, but the point of the process is to weed out stupid ideas, identify the practical problems before enactment so they can be fixed etc. It seems the NTA needs such a process , if they are going to direct a company to do xyz then surely common sense would dictate a resource allocation plan be gone through to see if they can handle the directive and if not, they should be given more money.

BE also does not seem to be holding NX busses on the NX route, ive seen BE busses all over the city (including the 133 route) with "NX TO NAVAN" covering the entire back of the bus. I wasn't saying Navan was not a busy route, at all, but taking a bus off the Dublin-Belfast route to put on Navan would, if it happened, be stunning stupidity, because in demand terms they do not compare, the X1 and X2 are almost always 3/4 full sometimes full full.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There was a dispute over the rosters which the company says led to a higher rate of absenteeism which played into this as well meaning that they did not have enough staff to operate services and there were also said to be some issues with vehicles not being available for maintenance reasons.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I was actually on the 133 the other day (Derry, Newry, Belfast, Wicklow...so what I get around, don't look at me like that shut up your face!!) and I had no idea where upper dargle road was and google maps very kindly took me on a 45 minute walk in a roundabout route when it was actually just at the end of the town and a short turn I could have been there in 10 minutes

It is actually a better stop because it skips Bray town which is an infamous bottle neck for busses (try getting a 145 through that area near rushhour you might take 45 min to get from Shankill to Bray town hall, DART would have you there in 5), but they did not bother to put a very good sign there.

First of all the sign at the top of Bray town where the old stop is...the existing timetable and BE pole is still there, and the sign telling you about the change is an A4 sheet lamented with cable-tie but turned facing out towards the road not, as common sense would dictate, put over the timetable box on the actual pole
    Second, the sign on the Upper Dargle Road stop is as bad, up the top of a dublin bus pole - no BE stop or even a halfway decent sign, you'd walk right past it assuming the thing was a DB stop, and half the stops along the route seem to be DB stops not BE stops.

The sooner the NTA combi-stops for all companies come in the better.

If the X1 disruptions mentioned above are due to the NX route, that appears to be stunning incompetence with regard to the agencies involved. There is a 4 step process when a govt minister wants to put a new law through, and most ministers are aggravated by it because it makes putting their ideas through slow, it can take 100 days, but the point of the process is to weed out stupid ideas, identify the practical problems before enactment so they can be fixed etc. It seems the NTA needs such a process , if they are going to direct a company to do xyz then surely common sense would dictate a resource allocation plan be gone through to see if they can handle the directive and if not, they should be given more money.

BE also does not seem to be holding NX busses on the NX route, ive seen BE busses all over the city (including the 133 route) with "NX TO NAVAN" covering the entire back of the bus. I wasn't saying Navan was not a busy route, at all, but taking a bus off the Dublin-Belfast route to put on Navan would, if it happened, be stunning stupidity, because in demand terms they do not compare, the X1 and X2 are almost always 3/4 full sometimes full full.

I don't think that the X1 service was among the services that cancellations were occurring since the second half of September and into October.

On the timetable archive section on the Bus Éireann website, the various press releases are available for perusal, and the services that were regularly cancelled included the 109A, 109, 109X, 133, 126 and 103 services, for example there were cancellations of these services on 24th September.

http://www.buseireann.ie/archive_timetable.php?year=2017

Interestingly, in the press release on 24th September, it lists two services of the 109 between Cavan and Dublin as being cancelled. The Cavan Dublin service has been served by the new 109X service since 17th September 2017.

I also think that there were cancellations of certain NX services due to particular services getting held up in traffic coming to and from Dublin and Navan, and not getting back to either location in time for the intended scheduled departure.

I could be incorrect on that explanation, but on 28th September, there were cancellations to eight of the NX services, as well as cancellations to certain 103 and 109 services.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2399&month=Sep

devnull wrote: »
    There was a dispute over the rosters which the company says led to a higher rate of absenteeism which played into this as well meaning that they did not have enough staff to operate services and there were also said to be some issues with vehicles not being available for maintenance reasons.

Drivers have stated that there were not enough buses and drivers in place when the NX service started and had emphasized, before the NX service started, that the NX sschedule was too ambitious.

Also, it was introduced at the same time that proposals were being made, to only pay drivers for the time that they are driving the bus.

For example, drivers change over at Braodstone, on the NX service from Navan to Dublin, and the driver that takes over, drives to Wilton Terrace, after dropping off at O'Connell Street, and can then have a two hour wait for his / her next scheduled service.

Two hours waiting to operate his / her next scheduled service won't be much fun, if they are only going to be paid for the time they drive a bus.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-northeast-drivers-3691403-Nov2017/

This item includes the following text:

"That absenteeism has been consistently cited across the board as the chief factor in the collapse of services on the Cavan route, and it’s a point the company has been able to back up (Bus Éireann says that staff absenteeism in the east of the country is 14% – more than four times the national average)".

"But a number of company employees have now come forward to suggest that blaming the situation on such absenteeism is to miss the point entirely".

"Multiple sources within Bus Éireann’s Broadstone garage in Phibsborough, Dublin, the starting point for the vast majority of services in the north-east and midlands, have told TheJournal.ie that the problem isn’t one of absent drivers, but rather one of non-existent buses and unrealistic service demands".

"And those long-term employees are less than impressed with the situation that has emerged at the company since the start of this year, to put it mildly".

“Look, this is all coming from the NTA (National Transport Association),” one source said.”They contact Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Luas, etc, and say that Behaviour and Attitudes surveys say we need more services.”

"So you get the NX (Navan Expressway, launched on 19 September) launched to great fanfare. They tell us to provide it. But the company hasn’t sat down to see whether or not we actually can provide it. Do we have the buses? Do we have the drivers? The answer is no we don’t, and it’s knocked the whole applecart in the region"

Drivers have stated that there were not enough buses and drivers in place when the NX service started and had emphasized that the NX sschedule was too ambitious.

Drivers have one opinion, management have another, no surprise there really at the end of the day, always is that case with any kind of dispute, normally the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    "But a number of company employees have now come forward to suggest that blaming the situation on such absenteeism is to miss the point entirely".

"Multiple sources within Bus Éireann’s Broadstone garage in Phibsborough, Dublin, the starting point for the vast majority of services in the north-east and midlands, have told TheJournal.ie that the problem isn’t one of absent drivers, but rather one of non-existent buses and unrealistic service demands".

"And those long-term employees are less than impressed with the situation that has emerged at the company since the start of this year, to put it mildly".

“Look, this is all coming from the NTA (National Transport Association),” one source said.”They contact Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Luas, etc, and say that Behaviour and Attitudes surveys say we need more services.”

"So you get the NX (Navan Expressway, launched on 19 September) launched to great fanfare. They tell us to provide it. But the company hasn’t sat down to see whether or not we actually can provide it. Do we have the buses? Do we have the drivers? The answer is no we don’t, and it’s knocked the whole applecart in the region"

Someone who can't get the name of the NTA right and thinks that a PSO route is a commercial route wouldn't strike me as the most reliable source, especially when they reference a survey that doesn't appear to exist. Sure he's entitled to have his say but it's just that.

As I said it's merely the point of view of the drivers, the management appear to have a different one and there is no surprise with that, if you look at any dispute of it's kind all over Ireland people on one side will present one argument against the other side to back their case and people on the other side will present another argument against the opposite site to back their case, typical dispute.

The issue with buses was partly was down to the fact all bus maintenance was due to take place in the day when the buses were needed in service and whilst there was a provision for doing maintenance overnight after the strike earlier in the year, this did not come into effect until early December because of the fact that there was a dispute over the cost saving plan as voted for approx 6 months ago.

Drivers have one opinion, management have another, no surprise there really at the end of the day, always is that case with any kind of dispute, normally the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Someone who can't get the name of the NTA right and thinks that a PSO route is a commercial route wouldn't strike me as the most reliable source, especially when they reference a survey that doesn't appear to exist. Sure he's entitled to have his say but it's just that.

As I said it's merely the point of view of the drivers, the management appear to have a different one and there is no surprise with that, if you look at any dispute of it's kind all over Ireland people on one side will present one argument against the other side to back their case and people on the other side will present another argument against the opposite site to back their case, typical dispute.

The issue with buses was partly was down to the fact all bus maintenance was due to take place in the day when the buses were needed in service and whilst there was a provision for doing maintenance overnight after the strike earlier in the year, this did not come into effect until early December because of the fact that there was a dispute over the cost saving plan as voted for approx 6 months ago.

You know well that it was the journalist who wrote the article, that incorrectly wrote "(National Transport Association)", to explain to readers what NTA stood for.

The driver who spoke to the journalist would not have said to the journalist "The NTA in brackets National Transport Association".

You know well that it was the journalist who wrote the article, that incorrectly wrote "(National Transport Association)", to explain to readers what NTA stood for.

The driver who spoke to the journalist would not have said to the journalist "The NTA in brackets National Transport Association".

When someone is speaking to someone, in this case a journalist, it's normal the first time they mention an abbreviation, they say it and define what it is and later refer to it by it's abbreviation since they have already informed the other party what it is. When that is reproduced in print normally brackets will be put around the meaning of it to make it clear it's referring to the NTA.

If the journalist is adding something in themselves that was not said then it is grammatically correct to use square brackets, as they did not use square brackets I assume the driver said it.

When someone is speaking to someone, in this case a journalist, it's normal the first time they mention an abbreviation, they say it and define what it is and later refer to it by it's abbreviation since they have already informed the other party what it is. When that is reproduced in print normally brackets will be put around the meaning of it to make it clear it's referring to the NTA.

If the journalist is adding something in themselves that was not said then it is grammatically correct to use square brackets, as they did not use square brackets I assume the driver said it.

You know well, from the way the sentence is written, that the driver just said "NTA", and that it was the journalist that included "(National Transport Association)" for the benefit of readers who would not know what it stood for, and that it was the journalist who mistakenly assumed the A stood for Association.

You are just criticizing the driver for the sake of it.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-northeast-drivers-3691403-Nov2017/

You know well, from the way the sentence is written, that the driver just said "NTA", and that it was the journalist that included "(National Transport Association)" for the benefit of readers who would not know what it stood for, and that it was the journalist who mistakenly assumed the A stood for Association.

The way the sentence is written indicates the driver did say it, because square brackets would be used if the driver did not say it and I'd assume that someone who is a journalist would know that and wouldn't make such mistake, but of course it's possible that the journalist made mistakes in the article, but really it's not key to the whole topic anyway.

In any case it looks like we will not agree on this, but the most important thing is that the services are now not being disrupted the same way they were in the past and if the evening maintenance is happening overnight now rather than during the day that has probably had a positive effect.

The way the sentence is written indicates the driver did say it, because square brackets would be used if the driver did not say it and I'd assume that someone who is a journalist would know that and wouldn't make such mistake, but of course it's possible that the journalist made mistakes in the article, but really it's not key to the whole topic anyway.

In any case it looks like we will not agree on this, but the most important thing is that the services are now not being disrupted the same way they were in the past and if the evening maintenance is happening overnight now rather than during the day that has probably had a positive effect.

You are assuming that the journalist is infallible, and you are assuming that the journalist didn't make a mistake.

The issue is, that it is far more likely that the journalist incorrectly wrote "Association", than it being the case that the driver said "Association", because the driver is far more familiar with the company than the journalist would be.

But indeed, as you say, there haven't been as many cancellations in recent weeks, as there had been in late September and October.

Seasons Greetings devnull.

• Advertisement

You are assuming that the journalist is infallible, and you are assuming that the journalist didn't make a mistake.

The issue is, that it is far more likely that the journalist incorrectly wrote "Association", than it being the case that the driver said "Association", because the driver is far more familiar with the company than the journalist would be.

But indeed, as you say, there haven't been as many cancellations in recent weeks, as there had been in late September and October.

Seasons Greetings devnull.

The driver referred to the LC Class as being new in 2017 when they've been around since 2008 - it suggests that he's confused about a few things so it's not impossible he was here also. I was always taught to use square brackets when using words that were not spoken in quotes and use circular brackets when someone mentioned an abbreviation and a full form at same time.

Most important thing is that there is far less cancellations than there was even if there is some way to go before it's back to as good as it needs to be, at least progress is being made and hopefully that will only get better in the new year as things start to settle down - but really it's ridiculous no maintenance was done overnight until recently and was probably a large part of it.

Happy Christmas to you and yours too and hope it's a good one for you.

The driver referred to the LC Class as being new in 2017 when they've been around since 2008 - it suggests that he's confused about a few things so it's not impossible he was here also. I was always taught to use square brackets when using words that were not spoken in quotes and use circular brackets when someone mentioned an abbreviation and a full form at same time.

Most important thing is that there is far less cancellations than there was even if there is some way to go before it's back to as good as it needs to be, at least progress is being made and hopefully that will only get better in the new year as things start to settle down - but really it's ridiculous no maintenance was done overnight until recently and was probably a large part of it.

Happy Christmas to you and yours too and hope it's a good one for you.

Despite what you have written I still think it more likely that it was the journalist who used the word "Association".

When public representatives mention public transport, usually in cases where there is a news item, or a development concerning public transport, very often I can tell by the way they talk, or the way a press statement is written, or the way they talk when making a statement in the Dáil, that they aren't really familiar with particular bus transport services, and I can tell, by the way they talk, that they don't use public transport regularly, for example the services in their own area. They will say things - similar to referring to the National Transport Authority, as the National Transport Association - that indicate, that the issue of public transport, is not a subject, with which they are particularly familiar.

I think, that it is the same, for journalists. They often write things, that exposes their unfamiliarity with the subject.

As an example, Regina Doherty, in January 2016, issued a press statement, about proposed changes to the 105 bus route. In her statement she spoke of how awful the proposed changes - in her opinion - would be, and she complained that the 105 bus to and from Ratoath, Ashbourne and Dublin, would no longer serve Duleek, Kentstown, Ratoath and Ashbourne, going to and from Dublin City Centre.

She made this statement, at a time when the 105 did not serve either Duleek or Kentstown. At that time Duleek was served by the 103 and Kentstown was served by the 107.

Regina Doherty issued the statement, in a press release on her blog, dated 15th January 2016, and the statement included this opening paragraph:

"Fine Gael TD for Meath East, Regina Doherty, has called on Bus Eireann to reverse proposed changes to Route 105 which will see the new terminus at Connolly Hospital and will no longer bring commuters from Duleek, Kentstown, Ashbourne, and Ratoath to the city centre".

She talked of passengers on the 105 looking to go to Dublin being stranded at Blanchardstown, if the proposed changes were implemented. She accused Bus Éireann of abandoning passengers at Blanchardstown - in her words, passengers from Kentstown, Duleek, Ratoath and Ashbourne, who she said commute every day to Dublin on the 105.

Regina Doherty stated this, about passengers from Duleek and Kenstown, taking the 105 service to and from Dublin, even though, the 105, at that time - January 2016, did not serve Duleek or Kentstown.

In her statement, she never acknowledged that there was, at that time, already a service operating to and from Ratoath, Ashbourne and Dublin, every day - the 103. She did not acknowledge, in her statement at that time - 15th January 2016, that in the proposed changes, that the frequency of the 103 was to be increased. Going by her statement, she didn't even know about that 103 service, even though it operates in her own constituency and local area.

Her blog that included that statement seems to be no longer available, but here is the link, to where the statement was included:

https://reginadoherty.blogspot.ie/2016/01/doherty-calls-for-reversal-of-proposed.html

Her statement, which included her incorrect understanding of the 105 bus route at that time, was included in the Meath Chronicle in January 2016, and on the Meath Chronicle website dated Thursday 21st January 2016. I presume that the journalist who wrote the item, did not know that what Regina Doherty had stated, was incorrect, where Regina Doherty was suggesting that the 105 served Duleek and Kentstown, at that time - January 2016.

I think this, because of the way the first sentence of the article is written. It is written, in such a way, that the reader, is of the understanding, that the journalist thinks that Regina Doherty was correct, in saying that the 105 bus, at that time, had served Duleek and Kentstown.

The article included the following opening paragraph:

"A Meath TD has called on Bus Eireann to reverse proposed changes to Route 105 which will see services terminate at Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, and will no longer bring commuters from Duleek, Kentstown, Ashbourne and Ratoath into Dublin city centre. Ratoath Fine Gael TD Regina Doherty said it was “absolutely ludicrous” for Bus Eireann to make proposed changes to the route which will see hundreds of Meath people unable to travel directly to Dublin city centre every day."

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/01/21/4113068-td-calls-on-bus-eireann-to-reverse-route-changes/

It was only when the route of the 105 was changed in April 2016, where it started serving to and from Drogheda, Blanchardstown and Blanchardstown Hospital, that the 105 also started serving Kentstown and Duleek.

Regina Doherty, did not think to consider, that what was actually happening, was an improvement of services, in that, the changes to the 105 service mean that there are now more options, to get to and from Drogheda and Blanchardstown and Blanchardstown Hospital, more options to get to and from Drogheda, and Kentstown and Duleek, as well as to and from Drogheda and Blanchardstown and Blanchardstown Hospital and the intermediate stops on the route.

The changes to the 103 and 105 services also mean that there are more options for passengers from Duleek and Kentstown, to connect with the 103 service, if they want to go to and from Dublin by bus, considering the frequency of the 103 service was increased.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1989&month=Apr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Patser

The driver referred to the LC Class as being new in 2017 when they've been around since 2008 - it suggests that he's confused about a few things so it's not impossible he was here also.

There was a new LC style bought in in 2017, numbered as the LC300s. Different layout to the old ones, a very different look and requiring its own certified training by BE management.

Edit : added small article to show

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markl_1990/33036926300

Well Bus Éireann have done it again. I was supposed to get the 4pm bus to Arklow from Dublin Airport, we were told to board the GoBe Cork service and get off at Busaras. When we got there, the 2 bus was pulling out in front of us. The Busaras staff shrugged it off, saying they were never told. So now I have to wait for the next one.

I’m absolutely livid so please excuse my language but what the **** is wrong with this company!? Time and time again they have let me down. They seriously need to be privatised out of existence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would have thought the journalist would have inserted (sic) if the driver said association.

And I doubt any driver would mistake bus types and generations he is driving every day.

Bad journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    Well Bus Éireann have done it again. I was supposed to get the 4pm bus to Arklow from Dublin Airport, we were told to board the GoBe Cork service and get off at Busaras. When we got there, the 2 bus was pulling out in front of us. The Busaras staff shrugged it off, saying they were never told. So now I have to wait for the next one.

I’m absolutely livid so please excuse my language but what the **** is wrong with this company!? Time and time again they have let me down. They seriously need to be privatised out of existence!

it really doesn't. privatizing it out of existence wouldn't remove this issue or any of the issues. the only thing that will remove issues is the regulator doing it's job and forcing integration between services from all companies.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it really doesn't. privatizing it out of existence wouldn't remove this issue or any of the issues. the only thing that will remove issues is the regulator doing it's job and forcing integration between services from all companies.

Oh will you ever get lost. I knew you’d come knocking here. You’re nothing but a union troll, I have a serious complaint and you seriously try to back them? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I have a serious complaint and you seriously try to back them?

i'm not backing them at all in relation to your complaint. your complaint is justified. i'm just teling you that privatizing the company won't make a difference to the issue. gobe is effectively a different company, even though bus eireann are involved. in a lot of cases companies will not wait for other company's services. i disagree with it however be aren't the only company in the world guilty of it. plenty more out there.
    i believe the NTA need to do more in terms of integration between services.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i'm not backing them at all in relation to your complaint. your complaint is justified. i'm just teling you that privatizing the company won't make a difference to the issue. gobe is effectively a different company, even though bus eireann are involved. in a lot of cases companies will not wait for other company's services. i disagree with it however be aren't the only company in the world guilty of it. plenty more out there.
    i believe the NTA need to do more in terms of integration between services.

GoBe is technically a GoBus service since GoBus hold the license for the route and it's also not licensed to carry passengers between Dublin City Center and Dublin Airport so that could potentially land GoBus in hot water.

Trouble is you can't have everyone waiting for every other service when there are so many routes as it would mean that no services would ever operate on time in that kind of scenario but certainly there should be greater integration of taxpayer services but the core issue here is the BE service did not run the full length of the route by the sounds of things, I presume due to congestion.

• Advertisement

Oh will you ever get lost. I knew you’d come knocking here. You’re nothing but a union troll, I have a serious complaint and you seriously try to back them? :mad:

If you have a problem with a users post please report it and we will investigate.

It is not acceptable to call another user a troll or tell them to get lost because you disagree with them.

Advertisement