Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should The Garda Band Be Disbanded?

Options
  • 14-12-2017 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

I heard on the radio today that the Garda Band cost the taxpayer 5.5 million euros over the past three years. There are 29 members in the band and each member receives around 58 thousand euro a year for just turning up for practice playing at the Rose Of Tralee and in Croke Park durning big sporting occasions and also representing Ireland in some band competitions around europe. The members of the band are not actually Garda but musicians dressed up in Garda uniforms which again are paid for by the taxpayer. At a time when the Garda Siochana are short of resources and overtime has been cut i'm asking should the money be put to better use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is anyone checking on the amount of notes they are playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Just to clarify, they are actual Gardai, but they don't do policing duties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Is anyone checking on the amount of notes they are playing?

They might'n be checking on the musical notes but they sure are checking on the euro notes they get paid to play a few musical notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'd say the entire force needs to be disbanded and restarted with foreign management at all the highest levels.

Well the guy on the radio said that they were musicians and not Garda so I think he would want to double check his source of information in the future before putting it out on the airwaves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

So they're office Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whatever about the Garda band, someone needs to stop recruitment for the Tallaght-band.

I'd say the entire force needs to be disbanded and restarted with foreign management at all the highest levels.

As far as I know the position for a new Garda Commissioner will be going g out to tender over the comming weeks and it is hoped someone outside of Ireland will apply for the position. So hopefully we will see a big shake up if the position is filled by someone internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Do they investigate crimes against music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

natashaob6 wrote: »
    As far as I know the position for a new Garda Commissioner will be going g out to tender over the comming weeks and it is hoped someone outside of Ireland will apply for the position. So hopefully we will see a big shake if the position is filled by someone internationally.

As long as it is not that stooge Hogan-Howe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Can any of them administer a drink driving test?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why don't they get a normal band to take their place and let the actual Guards get back to actual policing duty if that's the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Why don't they get a normal band to take their place and let the actual Guards get back to actual Garda duty if that's the case?

Don't know..don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Why don't they get a normal band to take their place and let the actual Guards get back to actual policing duty if that's the case?

Then it would just be The Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

They are sworn in but I think they do very little training compared to other Gardaí. I was told that Garda reserves are better trained.

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

And the Fire Brigade Pipe Band and Army Band? Surely the same goes for them in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

So, much the same as the rest of the force. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Get Real wrote: »
    And the Fire Brigade Pipe Band and Army Band? Surely the same goes for them in that case?
    As well as the Dublin Fire Brigade ambulances if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. The Fire Brigade Band need to be fired, and the Army Band disarmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's the same for the army bands , professional musicians with their only military role being to carry stretchers in the event we get invaded.
    My friend was in the army band for about 46 years and he never got to carry a strecher ever.In fact when retired he said he felt he got cheated out of carry strechers.

Some army bandsmen leave the army and guess what ? They join the Garda band. I don't think they carry strechers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't know if that would bother anyone other than whoever is benefiting from the yearly budget tbh.

A band needs musicians. The musicians don't need to be police officers if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Can any of them administer a drink driving test?

..the band or gardai generally? In fairness, both know how to blow into something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't know if that would bother anyone other than whoever is benefiting from the yearly budget tbh.

A band needs musicians. The musicians don't need to be police officers if you ask me.

Erm if a group of professional musicians were to join the Garda as musicians what should we call them and what should their uniform be like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I heard on the radio today that the Garda Band cost the taxpayer 5.5 million euros over the past three years. There are 29 members in the band and each member receives around 58 thousand euro a year for just turning up for practice playing at the Rose Of Tralee and in Croke Park durning big sporting occasions and also representing Ireland in some band competitions around europe. The members of the band are not actually Garda but musicians dressed up in Garda uniforms which again are paid for by the taxpayer. At a time when the Garda Siochana are short of resources and overtime has been cut i'm asking should the money be put to better use.

Yet the guy on the whistle has been forced out on the sick for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One of my old music teachers wound up in the garda band, she couldnt handle a class of 12 year olds so I doubt she ever became a garda in anything but name

Anyway, break em up ta f**k, near 6 million for a brass band.

The Artane not-just-boys band can do double shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

Saw them live on two occasions last summer sound lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

100% should be done away with. We already have 2 or is it 3 orchestras paid for by our taxes out of RTE.

Are we sure Paddyland here isn’t just some crazy social experiment to see how far you can push people before the majority snap??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

January wrote: »
    So they're office Garda?

They're bandghardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have they got a whistleblower section?

Advertisement