Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's continued lack of promotion of horse racing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was thinking about this again today.
    can you give any reasons why you think its under represented
    I'll go again.

The case for horseracing coverage.
    Tens of thousands of racehorses in Ireland, a large horse breeding and training industry, thousands of horse races, trainers, jockeys, stud farms, spectators who go racing in Ireland and England.
    I have been racing in Ireland, England, USA, Australia.
    I own a racehorse.

The case for Formula 1 coverage
    No Formula 1 racing in Ireland. No Irish Formula 1 drivers. No Irish Formula 1 manufacturers. No Formula 1 racetracks.
    The fans do not have a financial interest in Formula 1 as owners or punters.
    My guess is most motor racing fans have not been off their couch, do not spend money on Formula 1, do not bet on Formula 1, do not contribute to Formula 1 facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

diomed wrote: »
    I'll go again.

The case for horseracing coverage.
    Tens of thousands of racehorses in Ireland, a large horse breeding and training industry, thousands of horse races, trainers, jockeys, stud farms, spectators who go racing in Ireland and England.
    I have been racing in Ireland, England, USA, Australia.
    I own a racehorse.

The case for Formula 1 coverage
    No Formula 1 racing in Ireland. No Irish Formula 1 drivers. No Irish Formula 1 manufacturers. No Formula 1 racetracks.
    The fans do not have a financial interest in Formula 1 as owners or punters.
    My guess is most motor racing fans have not been off their couch, do not spend money on Formula 1, do not bet on Formula 1, do not contribute to Formula 1 facilities.
    You can believe that all you like. It doesn't answer the question. Why should we go from having loads of coverage to even more.

As for motor sport
    We have no f1 but do have wrc.
    I can list loads of people that have went to f 1 and wrc moto gp etc.
    Fans spend thousands to go the motor sport event s . You can go to go se racing for less than 100 and on the spur of the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

You really should know better Diomed :p

Than to argue ...

Than to argue ...

or to go off topic and not answer the question asked

• Advertisement

or to go off topic and not answer the question asked
    Are you talking about post #19 in the thread?
    In that post there is no question, or a sentence ending in a question mark.
    You say there are plenty of fans to justify more coverage of motorsport.

Give statistics of the numbers of people interested in all sports.
    My guess is Gaelic football, hurling, soccer, rugby, horseracing, golf, snooker, cycling, athletics, boxing would have more interest than motorsport.

You have not made any case for motorsport, just gave an opinion without statistcs.

I'm sorry I left out the question mark.

this thread isn't about me looking for more airtime for motorsport. I'm using it as an example where a sport get no representation at all but has a good following in this country

I'm not saying that motorsport has more following than horse racing but I think it is a lot closer than you think.

here is the question

Why do you think that horse racing with all the TV time it gets should get more TV time?

I have no opinion on the amount of TV time each sport gets.
    Advertisers pay for TV advertising.
    TV stations will put on what they believe are the most popular sports that will attract the biggest TV audiences, and the most advertising money.
    Minority sports will not attract a big TV audience, and as a result little advertising money, and the TV station will suffer a loss of revenue.

Other considerations for a TV station are how much they have to pay for the TV rights to broadcast the sport, or the cost of sending out their own crews and cameras.

Netball, croquet, lacrosse, kabbadi, gymnastics are probably very interesting to some.

This discussion reminds me a little of a chat I had with a photographer who was submitting a photograph to a competition and asked my opinion on a number of images.
    One image was to my mind much better than the rest.
    He argued that it was "too chocolate box" i.e. it was an image that would appeal to too many people and was not arty enough, not a minority taste.
    Reluctantly he submitted it. It was accepted. I saw it many times on TV.

It is the same with sports. The popular sports get the air time.
    Sport, and television, are businesses.

I have no opinion on the amount of TV time each sport gets.
    Advertisers pay for TV advertising.
    TV stations will put on what they believe are the most popular sports that will attract the biggest TV audiences, and the most advertising money.
    Minority sports will not attract a big TV audience, and as a result little advertising money, and the TV station will suffer a loss of revenue.

Other considerations for a TV station are how much they have to pay for the TV rights to broadcast the sport, or the cost of sending out their own crews and cameras.

Netball, croquet, lacrosse, kabbadi, gymnastics are probably very interesting to some.

This discussion reminds me a little of a chat I had with a photographer who was submitting a photograph to a competition and asked my opinion on a number of images.
    One image was to my mind much better than the rest.
    He argued that it was "too chocolate box" i.e. it was an image that would appeal to too many people and was not arty enough, not a minority taste.
    Reluctantly he submitted it. It was accepted. I saw it many times on TV.

It is the same with sports. The popular sports get the air time.
    Sport, and television, are businesses.

I agree with that. but it doesn't answer the question.

I agree with that. but it doesn't answer the question.
    It would help if you read my reply.

I said: "I have no opinion on the amount of TV time each sport gets."
    You say: "it doesn't answer the question"

I prefer international soccer, golf, flat horseracing, and would like to see more.
    The TV companies judge what to broadcast, and that I think is based on popularity.

If your question is why is there more television coverage of horseracing than there if television coverage of motor racing you can either
    1) accept that more people like horseracing
    2) contact the television company and ask them

It is a bit tricky guessing what is the question you are asking.

• Advertisement

It would help if you read my reply.
    iv read it

I said: "I have no opinion on the amount of TV time each sport gets."
    You say: "it doesn't answer the question"
    why are you going on about it then
    I prefer international soccer, golf, flat horseracing, and would like to see more.
    The TV companies judge what to broadcast, and that I think is based on popularity.does that not also explain why horse racing isn't one more aswell. because the tv head people don't see enough demand for it

If your question is why is there more television coverage of horseracing than there if television coverage of motor racing you can either
    1) accept that more people like horseracing
    2) contact the television company and ask them
    all I'm saying is motorsport get no representation but has loads of fans.

It is a bit tricky guessing what is the question you are asking.its not like I'm writing down my question in black and white for all to read. my question has been the same all along and very obvious

"its not like I'm writing down my question in black and white for all to read. my question has been the same all along and very obvious"
    If you are not asking a question, but are asking me to answer your question, then I give up.

Why do you think that horse racing with all the TV time it gets should get more TV time?

as iv said several times already

If you are not asking a question, but are asking me to answer your question, then I give up.

really

post #44
    I was playing poker online so couldn't get back to you.

Why are you asking me defend a comment made by someone else (the OP) that racing should have more TV time?
    I didn't say that, but I did comment that imo there is a lack of interest in motorsports in Ireland, and that if it isn't on TV it is because the networks do not have a demand for it.
    TV stations are a business. If advertisers think a sport is popular it will be on TV.

I was playing poker online so couldn't get back to you.

Why are you asking me defend a comment made by someone else (the OP) that racing should have more TV time?
    I didn't say that, but I did comment that imo there is a lack of interest in motorsports in Ireland, and that if it isn't on TV it is because the networks do not have a demand for it.
    TV stations are a business. If advertisers think a sport is popular it will be on TV.

because this is what the thread is about .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,454 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

RTalso has a public service obligation that goes beyond profit. As you have already argued, horse racing in Ireland is important to our culture, important as a sport, and important to business. In my opinion, any race meeting in Ireland that features a group 1 race should be covered in some shape or form.

RTalso has a public service obligation that goes beyond profit. As you have already argued, horse racing in Ireland is important to our culture, important as a sport, and important to business. In my opinion, any race meeting in Ireland that features a group 1 race should be covered in some shape or form.

I don't agree but it is a point well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

100%. Be interesting to see the viewing figures for the Dublin Racing Festival.

Advertisement