Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ali the snake is gonna price Khabib out of the fight trying to get a big juicy cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Interesting what Khabib had to say there.

Hinting that he wants a similar paycheck as McGregor? I can definitely imagine that McGregor is pushing for a bigger one.

Dream scenario for Dana is to get the McGregor Khabib fight arranged, McGregor to win, and then look to give Poirier a shot at the title and redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's understandable that Khabib wants a nice payday, but Conor could be fighting a sack of spuds and he'd still pull in huge numbers. He's the draw here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Can someone post the Ali/Khabib video yer talking about

• Advertisement

Can someone post the Ali/Khabib video yer talking about

It's on the previous page. Khabib spouting about his worth and Conor's lack of worth. Sounds to me like Ali filling his head with lines to say as before Khabib did it's not about the money. I get he wants to get paid as well but the whole roster needs to get realistic and realise they are not entitled to split the money.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's on the previous page. Khabib spouting about his worth and Conor's lack of worth. Sounds to me like Ali filling his head with lines to say as before Khabib did it's not about the money. I get he wants to get paid as well but the whole roster needs to get realistic and realise they are not entitled to split the money.

Ya just seen it. So disappointing. He knows well it's Conor who brings the money. How many buys did Khabib v Iquinta do? He knows this too as ye said that other sleazeball has probably polluted his mind.

If Khabib won't fight, strip him . Conor v Porier for the belt

If Khabib won't fight, strip him . Conor v Porier for the belt

That would be hilarious but also totally a thing that today's UFC world do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭xtal191

His weasel manager Ali did say he wouldnt fight Conor for less than what Diaz got when he fought him, which is fair enough really.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That would be hilarious but also totally a thing that today's UFC world do :pac:

With what happened Coby, it wouldn't surprise me. Khabib shouldn't even have that belt he won it against Al Iquinta ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Khabib seemed to be implying that UFC wanted him to fight McGregor on his current contract, which it seems is to cover a number of fights. The problem is Khabib won't be happy for McGregor and UFC to rake it in while he is bound to a contract on much lesser terms.

He is also right that McGregor doesn't deserve the title shot, and others are ahead in line.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Khabib seemed to be implying that UFC wanted him to fight McGregor on his current contract, which it seems is to cover a number of fights. The problem is Khabib won't be happy for McGregor and UFC to rake it in while he is bound to a contract on much lesser terms.

He is also right that McGregor doesn't deserve the title shot, and others are ahead in line.

McGregor beat the actual undisputed champ for the belt in devestating fashion. Never lost the belt. Of course he deserves the shot.

Khabib beat Al Iquinta for the belt. Ranked outside the top 10 and is only a part time fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No. He has moved up. He was 2nd for couple of months he's switched places with tony who has been more active than Conor in last 2 years. Just shows how fake this rankings are really
    Being active/inactive doesn't count for anything in the rankings though. Rankings are based purely on ability (subjective). Unlike say, golf which are based on results (objective), and you need to stay active to keep accumulating ranking points.
    I suspect most people would rate Conor ahead of Tony in terms of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tbf, you can't blame the guy for trying to get the maximum possible as this fight could very well be his one and only chance of making enough to set him up for life.

There's bound to be a bit of bluff on their part in effort to use the leverage they have, given the interest in the match up, and UFC know the public want this fight too so I don't think it's a bluff they'd be too interested in calling.

For that reason I think they fight will go ahead as everyone seems keen for it to and it's in nobody's interest for it not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Jesus, in saying that, what does this mean?

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1025154786168107011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

In fairness

Conor can name his price , who else gets these numbers ?

No way khabib gets similar contract , regardless of his 26-0 record

Ive watched all cards since ufc 33 , hardly a couch supporter , but khabib doesn’t draw numbers or push the needle

Conor will draw the numbers and rightly should be compensated for it , yes he’s been a dick and in active since nov 2016 but all cards been a shambles since he’s fought

$4mill plus % of pvv conor
    $1.5 plus % ppv for tiramasu , thats prob been v generous at that , he really hasnt stood out at all despite 26-0 , padded

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

$1.5 plus % ppv for tiramasu , thats prob been v generous at that , he really hasnt stood out at all despite 26-0 , padded

What's that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Ahh purse split chat in MMA now;)

Khabib isn't the draw that Conor is,that much is obvious. But he does hold the belt for what that's worth and he probably brings as much as Nate Diaz to a PPV numbers wise - especially with the back story.

You put McGregor in with anyone it does well - be it Aldo/Holloway rematch, RDA, Woodley, Poirer, Ferguson, etc etc- but the Khabib and Nate fights do bigger numbers IMO so they deserve pay for what they bring.

Khabibs last two fights have been PPV (Barboza was under a Cyborg headliner but Khabib defo brought some attention there) and while not huge numbers they've done better than the average UFC PPV which is on the slide.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Advertisement

In fairness

Conor can name his price , who else gets these numbers ?

No way khabib gets similar contract , regardless of his 26-0 record

Ive watched all cards since ufc 33 , hardly a couch supporter , but khabib doesn’t draw numbers or push the needle

Conor will draw the numbers and rightly should be compensated for it , yes he’s been a dick and in active since nov 2016 but all cards been a shambles since he’s fought

$4mill plus % of pvv conor

Khabib isn't the draw that Conor is,that much is obvious. But he does hold the belt for what that's worth and he probably brings as much as Nate Diaz to a PPV numbers wise - especially with the back story.

You put McGregor in with anyone it does well - be it Aldo/Holloway rematch, RDA, Woodley, Poirer, Ferguson, etc etc- but the Khabib and Nate fights do bigger numbers IMO so they deserve pay for what they bring.

Khabib definitely adds to the draw over all compared random top 10 lightweight. And deserves to be cash in on that. But the issue with that logic, is that when you quantify it, it justifies paying him much less.
    Khabibs last two fights have been PPV (Barboza was under a Cyborg headliner but Khabib defo brought some attention there) and while not huge numbers they've done better than the average UFC PPV which is on the slide.
    I think both of those events did pretty poorly actually. Something like they did 350k and 380k buys (unofficial).

Ive watched all cards since ufc 33 , hardly a couch supporter ,

What's a couch supporter? And how does watching all cards stop you from being one?

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib definitely adds to the draw over all compared random top 10 lightweight. And deserves to be cash in on that. But the issue with that logic, is that when you quantify it, it justifies paying him much less.

I think both of those events did pretty poorly actually. Something like they did 350k and 380k buys (unofficial).

What's a couch supporter? And how does watching all cards stop you from being one?

Some people think cause you were not there in the flesh then you havn’t a clue

Same with football supporters , bar stool supporters they call em

Some people think cause you were not there in the flesh then you havn’t a clue

Same with football supporters , bar stool supporters they call em
    Yeah, I understand that. "Armchair experts" etc,
    But I'm asking how does watching all the events from your couch, mean you're not a couch supporter? Isn't that exactly what a couch supporter does?

I'm not saying I agree with the term. Just found it a weird rational to use, especially when you brought up the term as derogatory thing.
    Would make more sense if somebody said "I used to play semi-pro, I'm not some bar stool supporters"

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I stand up when watching the fights. None of this couch crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Augeo wrote: »
    100kg is fook all of a weighted squat for anyone doing a bit of legwork.
    Folks stroll around without struggling with 35kg + dumb bells in each hand from the weights rack to benches in gyms around the country every evening :)

I'm sure Conor wasn't doing that to impress anyone....shame on those impressed.

I can squat, I’m sure many ladies that practice oly lifts or like powerlifting or just like lifting can squat 100kg, but that doesn’t mean “office ladies that do CrossFit “ regularly squat 100kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Diaz Porier in november so that explains smiley face on his twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

dave1982 wrote: »
    Diaz Porier in november so that explains smiley face on his twitter

Porrier deserves fighter of the year (DC will get it) if he beats Nate, his resume the past 12 months has been superb:
    Alvarez, Pettis, Gaethje, Diaz)

But I do think for him to be No 1 Contender he should be waiting for Ferguson or even Kevin Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭creeper1

Well that's pretty big news. Diaz coming out of retirement.

• Advertisement

fitzparker wrote: »
    Porrier deserves fighter of the year (DC will get it) if he beats Nate, his resume the past 12 months has been superb:
    Alvarez, Pettis, Gaethje, Diaz)

But I do think for him to be No 1 Contender he should be waiting for Ferguson or even Kevin Lee

If he beats Diaz, the title shot is his.

Remember it takes 18 months to build a title shot. But one loss and it's gone.
    No reason why McGregor, Porrier, Tony can't be the next 3 to fight for the title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement