Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What comparison did Blind Boy draw between Tupac and Conor that annoyed Conor?

Tupac was a musical artist.
    Conor is an artist in terms of his body movement and obsession and study of that.

That was the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Could ye not just listen to it? It's actually a really good hr. I might check out some of his other ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The amount of people who got threatening mails of Conor is funny. He is watching everything people say about him online.remember he told gegard mousassi he was going to chop him up with a knife

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tupac started out as an artist, started hanging out with gangsters when he got successful and started acting like one.

Yeah, but Blindboy claiming that it wasn't until Tupac met Suge Knight that he went off the rails, is nonsense. Tupac lived in Harlem until he was 15 and for two years (in an effort for his mother to get off drugs) they moved to Baltimore and that's when he attended performing arts school for those years before the family moved on again, this time to California.

I've seen a lot of people say what Blindboy has said over the years, suggesting that Tupac was a pretty much just a poet right up until he met Suge Knight. It's nonsense. That piece of crap was for sure the worst thing that ever happened to Pac, but he was far from an angel before that point. For a start Tupac was in jail when Suge signed him to Deathrow. Suge said he would get him on bail ($1.4m) if he signed with him. That's why the first line we ever heard him sing for Deathrow is on Dre's California Love ("Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreaming").

That was Oct' 95 though, before that stage Tupac had got himself into lots of trouble all by himself. For example in '92 (when he was 21) some guys started giving his crew hassle and he tried to pull a (registered) gun on them, dropped it by mistake and as one of his friends picked it up, they accidentally shot and killed a 6 year old. Seven months later he was arrested for trying to hit another rapper with a baseball bat. Later than year (Oct '93) he shot two off duty cops (neither was seriously injured, he was blessed though as the case fell apart). Few months after that he was jailed for a few weeks for beating up the director of the film Menace II Society he starred in. Then of course there was the sexual assault charge he was serving time for when Suge bailed him out.

All in all, Tupac was only with Deathrow for the last 11 months of his life and in that time was not involved with any trouble with the law, which makes the oft repeated suggestion that Tupac was much nice guy before he met Suge, quite bizarre. I think when someone becomes famous there's a tendency that whenever they get in trouble, it has to be someone else's fault. as we see their talented side and can't quite marry that with their wrong doings but these people are ultimately responsible for their own actions. Nobody is really to blame but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Yeah, but Blindboy claiming that it wasn't until Tupac met Suge Knight that he went off the rails, is nonsense. Tupac lived in Harlem until he was 15 and for two years (in an effort for his mother to get off drugs) they moved to Baltimore and that's when he attended performing arts school for those years before the family moved on again, this time to California.

I've seen a lot of people say what Blindboy has said over the years, suggesting that Tupac was a pretty much just a poet right up until he met Suge Knight. It's nonsense. That piece of crap was for sure the worst thing that ever happened to Pac, but he was far from an angel before that point. For a start Tupac was in jail when Suge signed him to Deathrow. Suge said he would get him on bail ($1.4m) if he signed with him. That's why the first line we ever heard him sing for Deathrow is on Dre's California Love ("Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreaming").

That was Oct' 95 though, before that stage Tupac had got himself into lots of trouble all by himself. For example in '92 (when he was 21) some guys started giving his crew hassle and he tried to pull a (registered) gun on them, dropped it by mistake and as one of his friends picked it up, they accidentally shot and killed a 6 year old. Seven months later he was arrested for trying to hit another rapper with a baseball bat. Later than year (Oct '93) he shot two off duty cops (neither was seriously injured, he was blessed though as the case fell apart). Few months after that he was jailed for a few weeks for beating up the director of the film Menace II Society he starred in. Then of course there was the sexual assault charge he was serving time for when Suge bailed him out.

All in all, Tupac was only with Deathrow for the last 11 months of his life and in that time was not involved with any trouble with the law, which makes the oft repeated suggestion that Tupac was much nice guy before he met Suge, quite bizarre. I think when someone becomes famous there's a tendency that whenever they get in trouble, it has to be someone else's fault. as we see their talented side and can't quite marry that with their wrong doings but these people are ultimately responsible for their own actions. Nobody is really to blame but themselves.

I don't think he was up to much criminal activity before his time in drama school though. Let's be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He was 15-16 there, I don't think anyone is suggesting that he was a gangster then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He was 15-16 there, I don't think anyone is suggesting that he was a gangster then.

Ah..yeah, you're right. He has the gist right but his timeline is garbage. Listening to it now, sounds like me ma trying to explain death row records. Thought Blind Boy would be a bit more clued up than that.

Also, can understand why Conor may have taken umbrage with Blind Boy saying he reminded him of Tupac 'near the end'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I don't think he was up to much criminal activity before his time in drama school though. Let's be honest.

No he was knocking about with Jada Pinkett Smith.

2965542F00000578-0-image-a-2_1433880708935.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

This thread has officially gone further south than the "what will he name his kid" era.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The amount of people who got threatening mails of Conor is funny. He is watching everything people say about him online.remember he told gegard mousassi he was going to chop him up with a knife

No he didn't. Gegard said something about McGregor's size and McGregor said, a knife only weighs a pound but it can still cut you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ardinn wrote: »
    Could ye not just listen to it? It's actually a really good hr. I might check out some of his other ones!

He shítes on a bit too much though, fawning over McGregor emailing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Seems like an apt comparison to me. McGregor clearly has an infatuation with gangsters, though i doubt anyone is out to get him, which probably disappoints him on some level.

From what I've heard, he's been friends with some of the people who have been cited as "gangster friends" since they were kids.

Honestly, if your best childhood friend got mixed up in drug dealing or some sh!t like that, are you telling me that you'd just cut all ties instantly and never speak to or see them again? Someone who is famous still has the right to whatever keep whatever company they feel like keeping. The whole criticism of him for hanging out with alleged Kinahan associates has always seemed unfair to me, these are people who live in his hometown and who he's probably known since years before any of the current gang stuff kicked off.

It's super easy to say that once someone is mixed up in or convicted of serious crimes, that you'd cut all contact with them just like that. But humans don't work that way. It's a lot easier said than done when it comes to ending friendships and relationships over external factors, when you still have a personal and emotional connection to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Reminds me of some folks on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭creeper1

i hope Artem can cop on. I saw the video of this bus attack thing and I think he was horrified about what was happening. At least I hope he was.

People can be led astray by their peer group. Especially if your peer group includes a superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

creeper1 wrote: »
    i hope Artem can cop on. I saw the video of this bus attack thing and I think he was horrified about what was happening. At least I hope he was.

People can be led astray by their peer group. Especially if your peer group includes a superstar.

He's not 12 years old though, is he? He's responsible for his own actions. Maybe if he did what he was told by Khabib, this would never have happened.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ah come on, in the middle of all that **** blowing up and you received a DM from Conor McGregor it must have been a fairly bizarre experience. A writer telling a story is liable to try and make the story more interesting for their listeners.

The invite to go buy mackerel together, then feed the otter was pure class in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭XsApollo

His reaction when the trolley went through the window was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

He strikes me as a decent person he always comes across as trying to drum up his own confidence rather than fully attacking others in his smack talk, someone said at one of McGregor's VIP events he apologised for the rude behaviour of that ape Ward who was ko-ed by an octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was born into a family of high ranking Black Panters, his step-father or uncle was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list for murder and breaking somebody out of prison. He was close with Jada Smith who went to the same drama school as the above, where she was dealing drugs. This wasn't Glee.

Blind boy was being a bit dramatic with the "good kid" spiel. But there's probably a comparison to be made there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Nah nah Artem would never be easily led by Conor.

2709327700000578-0-UFC_fighter_Conor_McGregor_left_poses_with_training_partner_Arte-a-16_1427447464036.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Mellor wrote: »
    He was born into a family of high ranking Black Panters, his step-father or uncle was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list for murder and breaking somebody out of prison. He was close with Jada Smith who went to the same drama school as the above, where she was dealing drugs. This wasn't Glee.

Blind boy was being a bit dramatic with the "good kid" spiel. But there's probably a comparison to be made there

I think it was a valid comparison, albeit Blindboy’s knowledge of Pac is the incorrect narrative of how he was a saint before Deathrow. The valid comparison is that Pac lost all humility when he landed in the big time with Deathrow. He strutted around like he was invincible.

Blindboy was bang on about McGregor in recent times. He has achieved the dream, but is plagued with petty irritating anger. I bet if he was truly honest with himself, he was happier when he was chasing the dream and obsessing about his skill set. He is no longer on a journey. He has no struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]I bet if he was truly honest with himself, he was happier when he was chasing the dream and obsessing about his skill set. He is no longer on a journey. He has no struggle.

This actually happens to a huge amount of "successful" people in all walks of life. They reach that moment in time where they have "made it", sometimes beyond their dreams, and then suddenly there is a "now what?" moment which can quite often derail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about Will Smith? He has no struggle and openly admits he is not as talented as others, but the guy works hard and he stays hungry.
    So not all successful people lose it.
    Nearly 25 years after The Fresh Prince and the guy still looks the same and is still hungry. Self discipline and pure 'will power'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor
    > Blind boy
    > Tupac
    > Will Smith.

Okay lads. Enough.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

TBH, it's a bit tragic that a) He's reading / listening to the likes of that Blindboy lad. b) Is so thin skinned that it he lets it wind him up to that extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

TBH, it's a bit tragic that a) He's reading / listening to the likes of that Blindboy lad. b) Is so thin skinned that it he lets it wind him up to that extent.
    I hope for his sake he never reads this thread. He'd go full Streets Of Rage then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You gotta assume he reads this thread at some points as well given he used to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

If you're in the public eye like that, you should avoid all social media, I know most inter-country GAA players are told to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

You gotta assume he reads this thread at some points as well given he used to post here.

There are thousands of people who used to post on boards that have not checked this site in years.

Just because he posted here a handful of times is not a good reason to assume he checks these pages. In fact I'd happily wager he hasn't even thought of this site in many years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement