Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

ricero wrote: »

For a very brief moment at first glance I read that as BJ Penn vs. Holloway, I damn near spit out my weetabix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Announced as the main event of ufc 222. So looks like mcgregor wont be back until April or May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Max gonna have one of the best cv's of all time if he keeps going the way he's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So looks like mcgregor wont be back.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Max vs Frankie is an epic fight, cannot wait for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Frankie to win and then drop to 135 and hump TJ to death before dropping to 125 and having a 3 fight epic back and forth with DJ to decide the bestest little guy ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Gamb!t wrote: »
    No ducking title defences from Max unlike someone else.

I tire of all the complaining about him not defending but this pic (stolen from reddit) gave me a chuckle

dxTClcz.png

Big John has signed a deal to be a colour commentator with Bellator. He'll be sharing the role with undisputed gangster weight champion of the world Chael P. Sonnen.

Starts on the 20th of this month and will rotate with Chael on an event by event basis.

He's "taking a break" from reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sickened to see him take a break from MMA reffing but he'll be brilliant as colour commentator.

I'm delighted for him. Will pay a lot more than officiating matches, gives him more job security and adds to his pension pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I’m happy for him but sad to see him go. The quality of reffing is terrible in MMA and he’s undoubtedly the best

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sad to see him go but the silver lining is that Goddard should get more big fights now, he’s more reliable than Herb Dean these days and not a million miles off Big John. Still doesn’t get the respect he deserves as a top class MMA ref because he hasn’t been given the opportunities the other two got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Goddard is a far superior ref to big John and has been for a good while now.

Goddard is a far superior ref to big John and has been for a good while now.

Disagree, think Goddard is overrated by UK/Irish people. He's good, definitely more consistent than Herb Dean and controls things well, but still a clear step down from Big John.

Anyone know the average salary of an mma ref ? I cant imagine it being that high.

Anyone know the average salary of an mma ref ? I cant imagine it being that high.

It's not much and Big John/Herb have alluded to as much in interviews before.

Over in the US, they are paid by the state athletic commissions and not the promotion so they don’t really make any more from a UFC card than they do from a local one. Having said that, you can earn up to $1900 for reffing a fight with a recognised world championship at stake, that’s what McCarthy got for McGregor vs. Aldo and it doesn’t go a penny higher than that in Nevada.

They make a lot of money from seminars and classes to make up for that, and since they all love the sport and what they do, it’s still not a bad gig for them. Getting to travel around is a nice bonus too when travel expenses are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

martyos121 wrote: »
    Over in the US, they are paid by the state athletic commissions and not the promotion so they don’t really make any more from a UFC card than they do from a local one. Having said that, you can earn up to $1900 for reffing a fight with a recognised world championship at stake, that’s what McCarthy got for McGregor vs. Aldo and it doesn’t go a penny higher than that in Nevada.

They make a lot of money from seminars and classes to make up for that, and since they all love the sport and what they do, it’s still not a bad gig for them. Getting to travel around is a nice bonus too when travel expenses are covered.

The flip side of that is that globetrotting gets less and less appealing with age and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    Over in the US, they are paid by the state athletic commissions and not the promotion so they don’t really make any more from a UFC card than they do from a local one.
    Not quite. The fee varies between $200 and $2000 depending on whether it's a PPV card, and the size of the gate.

Main event (PPV card) $2000 per fight (was $1900 previously as you mentioned)
    Rest of main card (PPV card) $1000
    Non-PPV fight $650/750

Smaller promotions where the gate is >$100k. It's a sliding scale $250-650.

These are per fight, so ref doing 4 fights on a UFC PPV can make up to $6k a night. A full time ref regularly on UFC cards is probably doing well into 6-figures. Which is more than most fighters. But that's only a few guys.

Mellor wrote: »
    Not quite. The fee varies between $200 and $2000 depending on whether it's a PPV card, and the size of the gate.

Main event (PPV card) $2000 per fight (was $1900 previously as you mentioned)
    Rest of main card (PPV card) $1000
    Non-PPV fight $650/750

Smaller promotions where the gate is >$100k. It's a sliding scale $250-650.

These are per fight, so ref doing 4 fights on a UFC PPV can make up to $6k a night. A full time ref regularly on UFC cards is probably doing well into 6-figures. Which is more than most fighters. But that's only a few guys.

Thanks for filling it in, only knew a certain amount of the numbers regarding it, it’s more than I thought for a PPV main carder. The OP did ask what the average salary was so as you said yourself, apart from the few top dogs, it’s a lot less than six figures. Definitely the kind of job you have to be passionate about for the salary that’s in it and you’d be hard pressed to find many refs who don’t enjoy it, nearly all of them are ex-fighters at some level of the sport.

• Advertisement

Completely agree, the UFC top 5 are doing well. Kim Winslow, or that Lord of the Rings looking fella probably just taking an average wage. Most we've never heard of as they can't crack the big events.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aarondoc

Any one know where I can find the in the clinch episode with Dominick Cruz? Been looking every where online since it came out but can't find it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

With Big John taking a break we might see Josh Rosenthal back – he was a great ref before he got himself locked up. I know he ref’d one or two early prelim fights on a UFC card recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

dulux99 wrote: »
    With Big John taking a break we might see Josh Rosenthal back – he was a great ref before he got himself locked up. I know he ref’d one or two early prelim fights on a UFC card recently.
    I hope so. Him and Goddard are very good and similar but the I think Mike Belt ran will see more work coming his way

Josh the ref who got locked up for smuggling weed?

Lukker- wrote: »
    Josh the ref who got locked up for smuggling weed?

He didn't smuggle anything. He operated a legal farm in Oakland California. One of the most stupid problems with the legal system in the US is something can be legal in a state and still illegal federally and the federal government can still prosecute you for things like possession, manufacturing and intent to supply something that is 100% legal in the state you live in.

He didn't smuggle anything. He operated a legal farm in Oakland California. One of the most stupid problems with the legal system in the US is something can be legal in a state and still illegal federally and the federal government can still prosecute you for things like possession, manufacturing and intent to supply something that is 100% legal in the state you live in.

Ah, he often gets portrayed as a criminal mastermind on reddit. Didn't realise he was operating legally. (well not federally)

Yeah it's stupid and it's about to get worse. In the last couple of years the feds haven't been getting involved and just deferring to state law, but Sessions is about to actively go after anyone who breaks it. So much for Trump saying it was a state issue!

I see Mighty Mouse has got shoulder surgery today so we wont be seeing him vs tj for a while yet i reckon.

Would love to see the Dillashaw v Cruz rematch in the meantime.

Even more stupidly, he wasn't the one operating it. He owned the warehouse/facility and leased it out to an operator. He was charge with the possession because he was on his property when they raided.

Seems so dumb. I thought crime had to take place across state lines, or federal properly before it tell under the feds jurisdiction.
    Would be good to see him catching a break

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Even more stupidly, he wasn't the one operating it. He owned the warehouse/facility and leased it out to an operator. He was charge with the possession because he was on his property when they raided.

Seems so dumb. I thought crime had to take place across state lines, or federal properly before it tell under the feds jurisdiction.
    Would be good to see him catching a break

It's mental stuff. There are companies making massive money and banks won't touch it so they have to hire private security and keep it on side in vaults. It makes no sense, the state and federal government will take tax on all of it, but the federal government can, at any minute, raid you, take everything and throw you in jail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement