Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

ricero wrote: »
    Tony will be smashed.

Khabib will retire the most dominant champion in the history of mma.

He's gonna retire Jon Jones? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Tony is overrated imo.
    Also made of cotton wool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dashoonage wrote: »
    ah lads the man has won the belt and defended twice. he has a long way to go to become the most dominant champ .

Not the most dominant in terms of longevity but when it comes to performances he's easily the most dominant current champ. Jones has looked pretty average in his last couple of outings, he barely scraped by a one legged Thiago Santos.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dulux99 wrote:
    Not the most dominant in terms of longevity but when it comes to performances he's easily the most dominant current champ. Jones has looked pretty average in his last couple of outings, he barely scraped by a one legged Thiago Santos.
    Well if we are going to rush to make somebody the Goat, then I'll say Adesanya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

eagle eye wrote: »

Wtf.gif

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

He had a great last performance, but his fight before that was very, very competitive. Khabib has yet to be in such a war. He's been totally dominant against everyone, finishing most. Barely giving up the odd round

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    "Most dominant champion this year" is very different to "Most dominant champion of all time".

Especially when you consider that none of the current champions above 155 held their title at the start of this year. So we're looking at a pool of 3 guys. Cejudo, Max and Khabib. Max has the most number of legitimate defenses.
    He had a great last performance, but his fight before that was very, very competitive. Khabib has yet to be in such a war. He's been totally dominant against everyone, finishing most. Barely giving up the odd round

No doubt Khabib has been a dominant fighter. One of the top 5 longest streaks in MMA. Reaching the top of the sport, which other long streaks didn't.
    But he's had two credible championship fights. And Poirier was borderline imo.

Khabib to smesh a bit more to go down be considered alongside Fedor and Jones.

Mellor wrote: »
    l
    Khabib to smesh a bit more to go down be considered alongside Fedor and Jones.

Fair assesment.

But Jesus Issy is only in the game a wet week and some looper here is crowning him goat.

Khabib is younger, has several times more fights and is undefeated.

Issy isn't even on any conversations yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You misread, I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of calling somebody the Goat too quickly. Khabib has only defended his title twice and he fought a clearly injured McGregor, Iaquinta and Poirier in championship.
    Tony Ferguson will be the first time he takes on a truly top fighter imo.

Just to make it clear, Adesanya is not the Goat, not even in the conversation but he is popular like Khabib.

Fair assesment.

But Jesus Issy is only in the game a wet week and some looper here is crowning him goat.

Khabib is younger, has several times more fights and is undefeated.

Issy isn't even on any conversations yet.

Completely agree, Issy has great potential but he isn't close to the discussion yet. He wasn't even champ 2 months ago. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The only time Khabib has fought a decent level wrestler he probably lost against Tibau ,

It crazy when you look at the division there is no real stand out wrestlers , There's a reason Khabib won't go up to welter weight ,

With the likes of DC,Henry,GSP, McGregor, and so being two weight champions Khabib "HAS" to at some stage have the nuts to fight for the welter weight title to be considered a real great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Probably lost lol he won by unanimous decision

ricero wrote: »
    Probably lost lol he won by unanimous decision

Did you watch the fight,
    it was close but I don't think he won it and i'm not alone in that,

I'd no idea at the time who Khabib was and thought he got a very lucky decision watching it live,

The only time Khabib has fought a decent level wrestler he probably lost against Tibau ,

It crazy when you look at the division there is no real stand out wrestlers , There's a reason Khabib won't go up to welter weight ,

With the likes of DC,Henry,GSP, McGregor, and so being two weight champions Khabib "HAS" to at some stage have the nuts to fight for the welter weight title to be considered a real great

Lads I really do laugh when people point to the Gleison Tibau fight, as if to point out of fallibility. That fight was in July of 2012. 7 and a half years ago. He's improved exponentially since then, and is on another level at the moment.

I don't agree at all with the idea that a fighter has to move up to be considered great. Using that logic, Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones aren't greats. That's nonsense.

Kevin Lee - NCAA Div II standout
    Justin Gaethje - NCAA Div 1, All-American
    Gregor Gillespie - NCAA Div 1 Champion, 4 time All-American

No interest in Khabib v Lee. But I’d like to see somebody force Gaethje or Gillespie into a grappling match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Kevin Lee is 2-3 in his last 5, why is he even in the discussion?
    Gaethje is the fight to make

uchimata83 wrote: »
    The question was about wrestling ability not MMA ability.

uchimata83 wrote: »

Gaethje on paper is next best wrestler but they have the same manger so I reckon he will be passed over,

Lads I really do laugh when people point to the Gleison Tibau fight, as if to point out of fallibility. That fight was in July of 2012. 7 and a half years ago. He's improved exponentially since then, and is on another level at the moment.

I don't agree at all with the idea that a fighter has to move up to be considered great. Using that logic, Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones aren't greats. That's nonsense.

That is true he has improved but its also correct that that is the best grappler/wrestler he has fought and he didn't fair all that well ,

Also Tibau isn't even what you'd call world class grappler and as you say that's 7 years ago that shows the main point he really hasn't fought anyone that can combat his own main strength

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

To be fair Khabib was only 23 when he fought Tibau who was probably juiced to the gills and it was only his second ever UFC fight, he's a completely different animal now. Its not his fault theres very few wrestlers in the division that can compete with him.

• Advertisement

Gaethje on paper is next best wrestler but they have the same manger so I reckon he will be passed over,

In terms of wrestling, Gillespie is better than Gaethje, on paper.

Keeping Gaethje away from Khabib only benefits Ali when they both fighting and beating others. At a certain point, if makes more sense to cash in one vrs the other and get paid twice. He’s just angling for that red panty night right now.

In terms of wrestling, Gillespie is better than Gaethje, on paper.

Keeping Gaethje away from Khabib only benefits Ali when they both fighting and beating others. At a certain point, if makes more sense to cash in one vrs the other and get paid twice. He’s just angling for that red panty night right now.

Ye Gillespie is but he is no where near a title shot and won't be in the near future ,

Id love to see Gaethje fight him ,

Paddy Holohan is Ireland's newest black belt after Tom King award it to him this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

"But he's had two credible championship fights. And Poirier was borderline imo.

Not sure I get what you mean? Poirier is definitely elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not sure I get what you mean? Poirier is definitely elite.

Al Iaquita is not a top 10 fighter, and wasn't a credible contender. So I don't think that fight factors heavily into Khabib's domination as champion.
    Poirier is an elite fighter, I haven't claimed otherwise. But he is a firm top 5 fighter imo. He has never really been considered the number 1 at LW.

Compare that with the likes of GSP or Jones. Who dispatch every top contender their division produced over number of year. Khabib has a way to go to complete that sort of domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ortega pulled out of the zombie fight sickner was looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Got a few texts that Khabib has popped for Ostarine but not seeing anything online confirming it yet!? Anyone else hearing the same?

Got a few texts that Khabib has popped for Ostarine but not seeing anything online confirming it yet!? Anyone else hearing the same?

Ali was badmouthing USADA. Probably where the rumour started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ali was badmouthing USADA. Probably where the rumour started.

Ye seen that, just strange that I’ve got a few texts from people mentioning the same specific drug.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement