Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who were against stopping Islamic State?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://katehon.com/article/leila-khaled-isis-and-islamism-syria-and-palestinians

Good interview with Leila Khaled of the PFLP who is based in Damascus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Gyalist wrote: »
    The most surreal news of the last few days was the British, French and U.S. claiming the credit for the defeat of ISIS.

Yeah what were they thinking, claiming a share of the credit for spending the past few years launching a few thousand odd bombing missions, everyone knows air-warfare doesn't count #BattleofBritainOverrated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

arayess wrote: »
    it doesn;'t matter
    yes he was handed power by his father.
    and he wasn't the chosen one - the chosen one died .
    but he stepped up when he was challenged ..like a true leader.
    he has won the respect of most Syrians and others for that
    and he mighnt be elected in the way people in the west view democracy but he is the most popular leader in this battle
    and I stand for him ...he offers a muslim state that is still secular and free for all.
    all that standing for womens rights etc... assad stands for that.

people in the west are lead astray by their media.
    some of the "enemies" in the middle east are more liberal and free than the west allies...

but people are stupid and believe the narrative...

does that matter...he is alawite...the world knows this.. it is not new
    we have known it decades ago...it matters sweet fcuk all

fcuk that,.., he has a secret police...big deal ...who doesn't. he did a lot of the Americans dirty work post 9/11.....cos they couldn't...who cares..

there was a rebellion financed by foreign actors and he defended himself
    please tell me how Assad should have reacted....? how would you react?
    please tell me...

are you familiar with propaganda...as an irish citizen with one foot in ireland and one foot in the middle east..
    I can say that if you read irish or uk media you are being fed a load of ****e.
    let me say this...Putin is a god among men..
    I salute him.
    as an irish person - how do you free about Christians being slaughtered in the middle east???..Hezbollah and the Syrians saved them as best they could....where were the so called christian west???....fcuk that

well i am in the region at least once a year./...family , friends , relatives...
    you believe what you want.

**** that ****. I've been in Syria - it was fine.
    this was a foreign funded uprising but a minority
    funded by the Saudis for a pipelines

as conor would say "you know nothing"...

Eh, no he's not. I find your posts bizarre and you come across as more than a little unhinged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Yeah what were they thinking, claiming a share of the credit for spending the past few years launching a few thousand odd bombing missions, everyone knows air-warfare doesn't count #BattleofBritainOverrated

Funny that for years in Syria and Iraq they couldn't figure where Isis was getting their money from but within weeks of Russia being invited into Syria by Assad,the Russian spotted thousands of oil tanker trucks heading to Turkey and cut it off...ever since then Isis have been in decline...how did the US not spot this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The most surreal news of the last few days was the British, French and U.S. claiming the credit for the defeat of ISIS.
    They’re not gone away you know;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Would that be the same coalition that "accidentally" bombed the SAA troops who heroically defended Deir Ezzor for years to allow ISIS to advance?

Would that be the same US who allowed an ISIS convoy to escape to Idlib a few weeks ago? Over 4000 fighters were allowed to pass though the SDF and US lines to escape to Idlib.

Would that be the same US that sent their helicopters to evacuate ISIS commanders from the battlefield and take them to safety?

The same US who sent a F-22 to interfere in a joint SAA/Russian anti-ISIS operation just this weekend?

Funny that for years in Syria and Iraq they couldn't figure where Isis was getting their money from but within weeks of Russia being invited into Syria by Assad,the Russian spotted thousands of oil tanker trucks heading to Turkey and cut it off...ever since then Isis have been in decline...how did the US not spot this!!!!

Its not half as amazing as the fact that the Russians apparently managed to trigger enormous curbs in the trade of illicit oil some 11 months before they began their operations in Syria. Oh interesting side note, guess which nation was one of the first to finger the Turks for the oil trade - Israel!

I can only imagine if the Russians had for some reason not gotten involved and the US conducted such targeting operations on their own, people would be decrying them for destroying oil wells, killing innocent truck drivers and causing environmental damage. Good thing the Russians don't attract that kind of criticism.

Would that be the same coalition that "accidentally" bombed the SAA troops who heroically defended Deir Ezzor for years to allow ISIS to advance?

Would that be the same US who allowed an ISIS convoy to escape to Idlib a few weeks ago? Over 4000 fighters were allowed to pass though the SDF and US lines to escape to Idlib.

Would that be the same US that sent their helicopters to evacuate ISIS commanders from the battlefield and take them to safety?

The same US who sent a F-22 to interfere in a joint SAA/Russian anti-ISIS operation just this weekend?

Its war - accidents will happen.

This one I find fascinating because I'm always struck by the fact that it is the same people who decry the US presence in these kind of conflicts who are now the first to castigate them for not launching the kind of bloody cauldron battle that involves 4000 rebel fighters in an urban environment with plenty of civilians and nothing to lose. Maybe you would like to volunteer for that fight instead of relying on the Kurds to do your fighting for you.

Your last two are accusations raised by Sputnik, I would suggest you treat them with a little more scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/939647578651746306

So ISIS have been defeated in Iraq. There is still a bit to go in Syria but Iraq has been saved. From our point of view, there were people, probable conspirators, that were campaigning for the NATO nations to not interfere with ISIS taking over the Middle East.

Should they be treated as facilitators and arrested? Or were they just contrarians that should be ignored?

The conspirators were NATO and the GCC countries.

Its not half as amazing as the fact that the Russians apparently managed to trigger enormous curbs in the trade of illicit oil some 11 months before they began their operations in Syria. Oh interesting side note, guess which nation was one of the first to finger the Turks for the oil trade - Israel!

I can only imagine if the Russians had for some reason not gotten involved and the US conducted such targeting operations on their own, people would be decrying them for destroying oil wells, killing innocent truck drivers and causing environmental damage. Good thing the Russians don't attract that kind of criticism.

The Russians were smart and waited until they were invited into a country by a leader both recognised by the UN to help with an insurgency.
    Russia and Putin did it all by the book,unlike the US who just stormed in thinking they own the place,making a balls of everything.

• Advertisement

The Russians were smart and waited until they were invited into a country by a leader both recognised by the UN to help with an insurgency.
    Russia and Putin did it all by the book,unlike the US who just stormed in thinking they own the place,making a balls of everything.

So youre saying the US et al HAS been wrong to engage in bombing in syria?

So youre saying the US et al HAS been wrong to engage in bombing in syria?

No,thats not what Ive been saying.
    Read my posts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

fcuk that,.., he has a secret police...big deal ...who doesn't. he did a lot of the Americans dirty work post 9/11.....cos they couldn't...who cares..

Syria had one of the worst human rights records in the world.
    there was a rebellion financed by foreign actors and he defended himself
    please tell me how Assad should have reacted....? how would you react?
    please tell me...

Every protest during the Arab Spring was "a conspiracy" according to the leaders. You are simply echoing their rhetoric.

He could have held an election, but opposition were banned, the country was under "emergency rule" for decades

He could had adhered to any of the peace plans, but he shot them out of the country

He could have worked with the international community but he was too busy killing, shelling and gassing his own people. His forces dropping barrels bombs from helicopters.
    Putin is a god among men
    Hezbollah and the Syrians saved them as best they could
    I've been in Syria - it was fine.
    this was a foreign funded uprising but a minority
    funded by the Saudis for a pipelines

Apologism.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Syria had one of the worst human rights records in the world.
    Every protest during the Arab Spring was "a conspiracy" according to the leaders. You are simply echoing their rhetoric.
    He could have held an election, but opposition were banned, the country was under "emergency rule" for decades
    He could had adhered to any of the peace plans, but he shot them out of the country
    He could have worked with the international community but he was too busy killing, shelling and gassing his own people. His forces dropping barrels bombs from helicopters.
    Apologism.

Crock of sh1t!
    Assad is the leader of what was previously one of the most progressive middle eastern countries.
    Democracy,like we have in the west doesnt work over there.
    As hardman dictators go,hes really quite mild.

http://www.unhcr.org/en-ie/news/briefing/2017/6/595612454/unhcr-seeing-significant-returns-internally-displaced-amid-syrias-continuing.html

A few seem to want to return now hes got it back under control...cant be that bad

Anyway,the worlds a better place now that the status quo was maintained and ISIS have been ran from Syria....all thanks to Assad and Russia.

Anyway,the worlds a better place now that the status quo was maintained

Not really, Syria is a hellhole, millions displaced, children are starving. The country is shattered and fractured from 6 years of warfare involving (and still involving) dozens of countries and hundreds of factions

The whole region is a tinderkeg crawling with Iranian militia's, Gulf funded groups, Russian aircraft, Iraq's facing down the Kurds, Hezbollah, international military forces, you name it.. apart from being one of the bloodiest conflicts in recent history, it's yet another grim example of an unelected leader drowning his country in blood to cling to power, whilst ramping up regional tensions and drawing in half the world

The Syrian people haven't "won" anything, only lost.

Not really, Syria is a hellhole, millions displaced, children are starving. The country is shattered and fractured from 6 years of warfare involving (and still involving) dozens of countries and hundreds of factions

The whole region is a tinderkeg crawling with Iranian militia's, Gulf funded groups, Russian aircraft, Iraq's facing down the Kurds, Hezbollah, international military forces, you name it.. apart from being one of the bloodiest conflicts in recent history, it's yet another grim example of an unelected leader drowning his country in blood to cling to power, whilst ramping up regional tensions and drawing in half the world

Not surprising that there was no mention of US involvement in the mess that the US created.
    Go on to bed,no point talking to the likes of you,who cant see that the US had a major hand in Syria going tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

They are communists

30 million plus communists? Have most of them ever heard of communism? And in the unlikely event that they have, what other people should be condemned on the basis of other parties they have heard about? Have you a list of parties?
    Who cares?

That says it all.

Not really, Syria is a hellhole,

http://www.unhcr.org/en-ie/news/briefing/2017/6/595612454/unhcr-seeing-significant-returns-internally-displaced-amid-syrias-continuing.html

Did you miss that bit.

Theyre returning to the "hellhole".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/939647578651746306

So ISIS have been defeated in Iraq. There is still a bit to go in Syria but Iraq has been saved. From our point of view, there were people, probable conspirators, that were campaigning for the NATO nations to not interfere with ISIS taking over the Middle East.

Should they be treated as facilitators and arrested? Or were they just contrarians that should be ignored?

Why did the US rescue 1000 ISIS fighters from Syria?

Who cares? They are communists

Ah, you know what.....you're just a sh1t-stirrer at this stage with precious little logic into this entire conundrum other than to say something inflammatory.

No insight. No rationale. Just locker-room bravado and the usual pointless low-rent comments.

• Advertisement

Not surprising that there was no mention of US involvement in the mess that the US created.
    Go on to bed,no point talking to the likes of you,who cant see that the US had a major hand in Syria going tits up.

Kerry was having dinner with Assad in 2009. The uprising was largely a domestic affair. Likewise protests and uprisings happened all across the M.E. and N Africa.

By this stage I've heard almost all of them blamed on "foreign actors", and Venezuela, and Ukraine.

Nothing to do with decades of autocratic or klepocratic leaders, emergency rule, human rights violations, neverending unemployment and ****ty economic conditions, low freedom of speech/political expression... always some foreign conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting comments from former French FM Roland Dumas that the Syria conflict was planned in advance from OUTSIDE Syria and not a domestic affair.
    Its so obvious I wonder why I'm even bothering to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder why I'm even bothering to post this.

We all do too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

ISIS will become irrelevant soon, probably. Hamas will likely become the new threat after all the **** with Trump and Jerusalem. Not to mention the air strikes in which children were allegedly injured.

That's how you breed terrorism.

Was this before or after Hamas fired rockets at Israel because a foreign president had an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gatling wrote: »
    We all do too
    I haven't posted in AH for a while now but its good to see your standards are as high as ever. ;)

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

So you trot out the tinfoil hat insult when it's been demonstrated that you were a sucker and believed the crap the US was telling you when all along they were arming and funding the very people you thought were the baddies.

That's gotta hurt but rather than manning up and facing an uncomfortable truth I'm sure you will continue to swallow the hogwash. After all that's better than admitting you were duped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I wonder how long it will be before the next incarnation of the caliphate will rise up? 10 years?

i have met him and he is a top guy ..really....
    assad pre war was prety relaxed

but yes....the secret police....
    I mean if the FBI call to your house.. we prob wont see you again.
    it is how it is...

if you against putin and taking soros money...why would they allow it...makes no sense

we can live with assad - and btw he is more popular now than ever...he is real leader.. - **** me I think he is lion now...putin esque lion...
    think nato and the rest tried to fcuk him and he stood like a fcukin lion....

some of my extended family are Syrian and I know...you in the west do not

The US and NATO are just scumbags who try to topple governments for their own nefarious means. They say they are doing it to "save" people or to "spread democracy" and there is a certain class of moron who will always believe this crap or at least refuse to question it because they don't want their illusions shattered.

No matter how many times the US / West lies and is caught lying, some people will still believe their rubbish. Some people are just beyond help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

They’ve won by not having ISIS run the place committing even more regional genocide. You’d be less sanguine about the rebels if you were a minority in Syria.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    You might find them a "big deal" if they were calling around to your gaff to beat the f*ck out of you or worse for fairly innocuous political activity.

Assad is probably the least worst option in Syria but let's not cod ourselves that he's a decent chap.

I think it's very important to know what kind of guy he is because there are an awful lot of people who are justifying the killing and displacement of millions of innocent civilians just because they think that Assad is a tyrant. And even if he was a tyrant can you justify murdering his people in their hundreds of thousands?

Advertisement