Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say something nice about the Queen and /or the Royal family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I suppose we wouldn’t have Royal Ascot without them, a nice sporting occasion in mid June where usually the Irish dominate

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Ah I like the royal family cause Ricky Tomlinson is the image of me da :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Dunno, but they discuss the American one on this site.

There's a big wide world beyond Ireland, the royal family are a pretty well known monarchy.

I don't see the problem in Irish people discussing them tbh. Especially as we live in an island that has a sizable enough amount of people that are "loyal" to them.

Well the American presidency has a lot more political impact on the world than a royal family.

As somebody who is very much anti monarchy and pro-republican I just don't understand what people would find interesting about a family put into a position of power by an elitist system.

It's more to do with celeb culture with weddings, affairs etc. rather than achieving anything of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

EICVD wrote: »
    I suppose we wouldn’t have Royal Ascot without them, a nice sporting occasion in mid June where usually the Irish dominate

Then it would just be Ascot. Simple.
    js35 wrote: »
    Ah I like the royal family cause Ricky Tomlinson is the image of me da :D:D

That's "The Royle Family".:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nothing positive to say about them the archaic horrible bunch of parasitic bastards. The Bolsheviks had the right idea with royalty, and the French before them.

If you seriously believe in democracy then you could have no truck with monarchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Jordoo

Nazi sympathisers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well the American presidency has a lot more political impact on the world than a royal family.

As somebody who is very much anti monarchy and pro-republican I just don't understand what people would find interesting about a family put into a position of power by an elitist system.

It's more to do with celeb culture with weddings, affairs etc. rather than achieving anything of note.

I hear ya, and meet your brother, but they're great to poke fun at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Prince Harry seems reasonably well adjusted and normalish given his circumstances. I felt fairly sorry for him (if that's the right word - it certainly was a gilded cage he was in after all) growing up as a teenager with everything he did or said scrutinized by tabloid scum. I always got the feeling that he just wanted to be left alone and let be himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

FTA69 wrote: »
    The Bolsheviks had the right idea with royalty

Yeah... it seems like the Kim family in the DPRK missed the memo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I was well impressed with the Queen's visit to Ireland a few years back.

William and Kate, and Harry seem like nice people.

The system of monarchy seems to work well for the Brits.

The way their detractors get so bent out of shape in reaction to any news on them is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They are quite clever around branding. The switch from Saxe-Coburg Gotha to Windsor in 1917 was very clever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

c_man wrote: »
    I was well impressed with the Queen's visit to Ireland a few years back.

William and Kate, and Harry seem like nice people.

The system of monarchy seems to work well for the Brits.

The way their detractors get so bent out of shape in reaction to any news on them is hilarious.
    It's because Irish people have been brought up on lies on the Royal Family. Long live the Parliamentary constitutional Monarchy, the greatest form of Government ever invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ah here, in fairness a good chunk of the Brits love them, so who are we to judge? It works for them.

And don't give me that, 'why are people interested in them.' They are probably the most famous family in the world, a world where vacuous Kim Kardashian is a goddess. FFS!

Oh, as for the thread. They have lovely faces for tea-towels

• Registered Users Posts: 67,104 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Having done what one wishes one's army and government hadn't done one time too many, she has been the best thing ever for our independence movement. A royal Ian Paisley so to speak.

The Queen is a figure of stability and familiarity in a turbulent time of constant change. People like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They don't eat human flesh, afaik.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Odhinn wrote: »

I need proof before I believe it.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Odhinn wrote: »

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

Everyone knows they bathe in infant blood, nothing to do with eating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Oh oh, and if you're in the UK you'll get a day off for the big events involving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I liked her appearance on Cribbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She was brilliant during the state visit to Ireland. Her trips to the Garden of Remembrance and Croke Park were her idea (or her advisers at least) and didn't come from the Irish side.

She showed us real respect too, speaking in Irish when addressing the President, wearing a harp emblem on her dress the same night etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

She's still alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Any time I went to the Derby the Queen waved to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

The Prince's Trust helps a lot of people. Maybe government should be doing more but there you go.

He's mad into the oul organics too.

I still wouldn't be in favour of the concept of royalty in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

They don't rule us.

That's nice isn't it

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They're not our problem. Also, they never asked to be born into such a weird system, so it seems sort of unfair to attack them as individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Harry's a ride

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

housetypeb wrote: »
    "Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

By the next dictator.

Advertisement