Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Net Neutrality Vote - December 14th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

tigger123 wrote: »
    Think I see your point actually... the ability for Eir to give you free access to FB, YouTube etc contravenes the idea of net neutrality by funneling you towards those platforms?

Precisely

buried wrote: »
    Always feared they would try something like this, level it into tiers or even just take it away. This is why I've always and always will buy physical copies of the things I have an interest in - books, vinyls, films. Costs a fortune, takes up a good deal of space, but nothing can or will take it away from me until I depart this mortal kip mysel.

Of course they will. Don't you realise that freedom, independence and autonomy is anathema to the establishment. Can't have people doing sh1t they can't control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

News that is fake I would have thought.

You mean stuff like Sunday Sport, Waterford Whispers and Wunderground for example?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Chrongen wrote: »
    It's already happening. Google is a global tool. It already buries links to information that contravenes or contradicts the establishment narrative on certain things.

Any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

That's rather naive of you. When the US implements big brother measures to control American people it usually then tries to shoehorn these measures into every other country. Bullsh1t airport security measures spring to mind.

Genuine question; can you give an example of US law that was "shoehorned" into the EU?

I've no idea of how that could even work.

• Advertisement

Genuine question; can you give an example of US law that was "shoehorned" into the EU?

I've no idea of how that could even work.

Absolutely. If you open a bank account or trading account you are demanded by law to declare whether or not you are a US citizen or green-card holder. That is US tax authorities demanding the status of those on completely sovereign soil outside the US.

I already mentioned airport security measures. They are hatched in Washington and then foisted off on the rest of the world. Complete scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Absolutely. If you open a bank account or trading account you are demanded by law to declare whether or not you are a US citizen or green-card holder. That is US tax authorities demanding the status of those on completely sovereign soil outside the US.

I already mentioned airport security measures. They are hatched in Washington and then foisted off on the rest of the world. Complete scam.

I opened a credit union account recently and didn't have to declare whether I was (or wasn't) a US citizen...

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

pitifulgod wrote: »
    CNN may be called "fake news" by some morons but it most definitely isn't. Alex Jones has claimed Sandy Hook was actors, that Fema have death camps... None of that is true...

In terms of EU plans on "fake news", it's more an effort to counteract it. For example if a load of false stories are being generated in Russia, it's better to expose the origins of where this is actually coming from. For example, numerous people claimed Pizzagate was a thing, that Hillary Clinton was dying during her campaign. These were always lies that came from people that a specific agenda. Remember seeing how TheDonald group on reddit tends to have controversial postings that occur at such a time that they will end up with more impact.

There are ways to counteract the above, it's a very real issue that has been used in efforts to influence elections. Not just in the US.

I am sorry but if others have put out fake news and you accuse them of it then you must carry the can if you do the same and it is proven that they have done same. Didn't they get caught again last week and retracted their story because of inaccuracies? Too late after they put the wrong news out.

Anyway no one should be able to say what others want to watch or listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

123shooter wrote: »
    I am sorry but if others have put out fake news and you accuse them of it then you must carry the can if you do the same and it is proven that they have done same. Didn't they get caught again last week and retracted their story because of inaccuracies? Too late after they put the wrong news out.

Anyway no one should be able to say what others want to watch or listen too.

If CNN get something that turns out to be untrue, they issue an apology and publicly announce that they were incorrect. This happens with all reputable news outlets, if an employee is found to be behaving in a questionable fashion, they'll get suspended or even fired. Infowars meanwhile hold no standard of journalism. They've publicly attacked families of victims and accused them of being actors....

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

pitifulgod wrote: »
    If CNN get something that turns out to be untrue, they issue an apology and publicly announce that they were incorrect. This happens with all reputable news outlets, if an employee is found to be behaving in a questionable fashion, they'll get suspended or even fired. Infowars meanwhile hold no standard of journalism. They've publicly attacked families of victims and accused them of being actors....

Hey I am not sticking up for infowars. I just think people should be able to go through life and make their own mind up without others doing it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

123shooter wrote: »
    Hey I am not sticking up for infowars. I just think people should be able to go through life and make their own mind up without others doing it for them.

I didn't refer to banning, I referred to combating bull****. When a group consistently lies it should be highlighted. CNN don't tend to be intentionally misleading if they're incorrect on something.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Here is Comcast injecting JavaScript into your traffic.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15890551

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Think Portugal has it?
    No, that was a specific mobile operator who offered 4G data add-on packages for heavy YouTube users. Not the Internet itself.

If the bill passes, the results might not be what some people are expecting. For example, if e.g. Comcast wants to charge more for YouTube traffic, would they try to charge the user directly? Probably not, since it's in Google's interest to keep YouTube video flowing freely, for the sake of their advertisers. So it could mean that Comcast will g0 after Google et al for more money - which could backfire on Comcast if they aren't careful. It's a free market, after all. We can expect unexpected consequences.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

bnt wrote: »
    No, that was a specific mobile operator who offered 4G data add-on packages for heavy YouTube users. Not the Internet itself.

If the bill passes, the results might not be what some people are expecting. For example, if e.g. Comcast wants to charge more for YouTube traffic, would they try to charge the user directly? Probably not, since it's in Google's interest to keep YouTube video flowing freely, for the sake of their advertisers. So it could mean that Comcast will g0 after Google et al for more money - which could backfire on Comcast if they aren't careful. It's a free market, after all. We can expect unexpected consequences.

That’s the very point of removing net neutrality. So the ISPs can go after the companies they see as internet hogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Comment on Redit

surfing the internet in 2020 : Sweet, this lootbox I just opened will allow me to check my emails at 80% of full speed for the next 8 hours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That’s the very point of removing net neutrality. So the ISPs can go after the companies they see as internet hogs.

And yet the Tier 1 providers like Cogent and Level 3 who are the long-haul backbone of the internet are pro net neutrality. It’s only the last mile ISPs, who we pay, that are acting the muppet by acting as gatekeepers.

There’s a lot to be said for building publicity owned and operated ISPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Voting today, any predictions?

image.jpg

Advertisement