Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Net Neutrality Vote - December 14th

Options
  • 09-12-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭

My teacher at college was discussing net neutrality the other day, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai wants the freedom of the web to be controlled, which means possibly pay walls for most things we take for granted on the net. They want to demote the regular internet to Tier 1 which means slower internet that is pay-walled to fcuk and a Tier 2 for those who can afford it (the current freedom we enjoy so far). I don't like the sound of this myself and will vote accordingly if given the chance. Thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/opinion/facebook-net-neutrality.html

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Could never see it happen in the EU tbh.

US citizens seem to be constantly ridden by their legislative process; gun control, electoral colleges, health care, tax breaks, net nuetrality...

When I see how one government can screw over it's citizens like this it makes me glad we're part of the EU, it acts as a watchdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Think Portugal has it?

But dont see it taking off in the EU in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

tigger123 wrote: »

When I see how one government can screw over it's citizens like this it makes me glad we're part of the EU, it acts as a watchdog.

Like how the EU can saddle the Irish State with billions of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I think you will find that was Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The US citizens seems to be constantly ridden by it's legislative process; gun control, electoral colleges, health care, tax breaks, net nuetrality...

Hahahahahahahahaha good christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

The EU wants to determine what you can and cannot access on the internet.

123shooter wrote: »
    The EU wants to determine what you can and cannot access on the internet.

Really? Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Hahahahahahahahaha good christ

He’s right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Vic_08 wrote: »

I think you 'll find that was the plutocratic forces deeply embedded within our socioeconomic systems and institutions, but thankfully due to the 'trickle down' effect, this all evens out eventually, apparently!

Their are many sources (EU minister political ramblings) but as far as I know nothing has been implemented as law yet because for one thing it takes forever with the EU.

• Advertisement

Their are many sources (EU minister political ramblings) but as far as I know nothing has been implemented as law yet because for one thing it takes forever with the EU.

Ah come on. Any web link to what you're claiming, at all?

Theres loads of stuff........fake news for one..........put a search in for eu wants to ban fake news..........and you will see lots of waffle reported from ministers proposing ways of stopping it including the internet.

But what is fake news?

Theres loads of stuff........fake news for one..........put a search in for eu wants to ban fake news..........and you will see lots of waffle reported from ministers proposing ways of stopping it including the internet.

But what is fake news?

News that is fake I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

US citizens seem to be constantly ridden by their legislative process; gun control, electoral colleges, health care, tax breaks, net nuetrality...

This already happens in the EU.
    Look at any of our mobile networks. Eg- Eir offers unlimited Youtube/Facebook etc which doesn't eat into your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Queue Family Guy, oh yeah I know all about the FCC.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    This already happens in the EU.
    Look at any of our mobile networks. Eg- Eir offers unlimited Youtube/Facebook etc which doesn't eat into your data.

Think I see your point actually... the ability for Eir to give you free access to FB, YouTube etc contravenes the idea of net neutrality by funneling you towards those platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Think I see your point actually... the ability for Eir to give you free access to FB, YouTube etc contravenes the idea of net neutrality by funneling you towards those platforms?

Yep! In addition to speed throttling certain sites (which I don't believe happens here), these are the 2 main breaches of net neutrality.
    Admittedly it's not a big breach at present because the data cap is generous, but it could end up us progressing to something like what Portugal has- https://i.imgur.com/CAGvtJj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Always feared they would try something like this, level it into tiers or even just take it away. This is why I've always and always will buy physical copies of the things I have an interest in - books, vinyls, films. Costs a fortune, takes up a good deal of space, but nothing can or will take it away from me until I depart this mortal kip mysel.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

News that is fake I would have thought.

True but I would have thought that was the one to worry about because in reality there has been fake news in every newspaper since they were invented. But we never banned them so why recommend banning it now from the internet and who sets themselves up to determine what is fake news.

CNN tried that with Alex Jones and the others and now they are seen as the ones who tried to peddle the same............So???

People should be able to read and watch what they want and not have' those who think themselves better' try and wipe their backsides for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Not sure if serious.:ermm:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

My teacher at college was discussing net neutrality the other day, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai wants the freedom of the web to be controlled, which means possibly pay walls for most things we take for granted on the net. They want to demote the regular internet to Tier 1 which means slower internet that is pay-walled to fcuk and a Tier 2 for those who can afford it (the current freedom we enjoy so far). I don't like the sound of this myself and will vote accordingly if given the chance. Thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/opinion/facebook-net-neutrality.html

You’re kinda confused here. The FCC under Obama reclassified internet access under Title II as a common carrier. This basically means internet access is a utility so that it can’t really be ****ed with by ISPs. What the current FCC chairman (a former Verizon lawyer) is doing is rolling back the Title II protection to how it used to be.

The ISPs argue that doing so makes the internet more free. What they fail to actually say is that this makes it easier for ISPs to be ‘innovative’ with your traffic. They ignore their prior behaviour that lead to the reclassification in the first place. This included AT&T blocking FaceTime, Comcast throttling Netflix until they paid extra, and advertisement injection.

The whole idea behind net neutrality is that all packets are equal and your ISP has no right to charge you extra based on the content they carry. Additionally your ISP should not be allowed to promote their own services at the expense of competing services. We see this with zero rating here in Ireland. Lots of mobile carriers offer free access to Facebook etc essentially putting the competitors of Facebook at a major disadvantage.

In India Facebook attempted to introduce their internet.org service which offered free access to a select number of websites. This would give Facebook even more power other the news content seen by millions of people and was blocked by the Indian government who have since introduced strong net neutrality laws.

True but I would have thought that was the one to worry about because in reality there has been fake news in every newspaper since they were invented. But we never banned them so why recommend banning it now from the internet and who sets themselves up to determine what is fake news.

CNN tried that with Alex Jones and the others and now they are seen as the ones who tried to peddle the same............So???

People should be able to read and watch what they want and not have' those who think themselves better' try and wipe their backsides for them.

Where is the EU recommendation that it should be banned?

Where is the EU recommendation that it should be banned?

I didnt say that I said EU ministers spouting off saying that fake news should be banned and they were blaming Russia for it for some reason.

You said in this post that the EU was recommending it.

I think your post is the definition of fake news.

You said in this post that the EU was recommending it.

I think your post is the definition of fake news.

No I meant EU ministers........that was accidental not intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

CNN may be called "fake news" by some morons but it most definitely isn't. Alex Jones has claimed Sandy Hook was actors, that Fema have death camps... None of that is true...

In terms of EU plans on "fake news", it's more an effort to counteract it. For example if a load of false stories are being generated in Russia, it's better to expose the origins of where this is actually coming from. For example, numerous people claimed Pizzagate was a thing, that Hillary Clinton was dying during her campaign. These were always lies that came from people that a specific agenda. Remember seeing how TheDonald group on reddit tends to have controversial postings that occur at such a time that they will end up with more impact.

There are ways to counteract the above, it's a very real issue that has been used in efforts to influence elections. Not just in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

That's rather naive of you. When the US implements big brother measures to control American people it usually then tries to shoehorn these measures into every other country. Bullsh1t airport security measures spring to mind.

Vic_08 wrote: »

No, it was the ECB and the IMF. Fianna Fail were just patsies in the heist.

• Advertisement

It's already happening. Google is a global tool. It already buries links to information that contravenes or contradicts the establishment narrative on certain things.

Advertisement