Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started with Mi Box

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Guys,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I managed to make the icon for the remote control disappear - anyone any idea how I can get it back please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

Got a Mi Box a few weeks ago and very very impressed with it. I've been using Android media boxes (mostly Minix) for years and was concerned the Mi Box wouldn't have good Wifi capability as it has an internal rather than external antenna (I can't get an ethernet cable to the box) and it works way way better than the Minix it replaced with a huge external antenna!!

Anyway, the reason for my post is to enquire is there any way to remove the "Mi Box Recommends" row from the Leanback launcher homescreen? The only app in it is Netflix and the the row beneath that contains all the other apps I've installed e.g. Plex, Kodi etc. I've been through the settings and even uninstalled and reinstalled Netflix but no joy, instead of Netflix sitting in the apps row along with all the other apps it just sits by itself in the "Mi Box Recommends" row.

A real first world/OCD problem I know but it's bugging me so would like to find a way to ditch it without losing the Leanback launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Hi guys,

Got a Mi Box a few weeks ago and very very impressed with it. I've been using Android media boxes (mostly Minix) for years and was concerned the Mi Box wouldn't have good Wifi capability as it has an internal rather than external antenna (I can't get an ethernet cable to the box) and it works way way better than the Minix it replaced with a huge external antenna!!

Anyway, the reason for my post is to enquire is there any way to remove the "Mi Box Recommends" row from the Leanback launcher homescreen? The only app in it is Netflix and the the row beneath that contains all the other apps I've installed e.g. Plex, Kodi etc. I've been through the settings and even uninstalled and reinstalled Netflix but no joy, instead of Netflix sitting in the apps row along with all the other apps it just sits by itself in the "Mi Box Recommends" row.

A real first world/OCD problem I know but it's bugging me so would like to find a way to ditch it without losing the Leanback launcher.

Try the following,sourced from another site.I don't have the box myself.
    Go to the Settings app
    Locate the “Apps” section
    Scroll to the System Apps section
    Locate the app titled XiaomiLeanbackCustomizer
    Click this app and select the Disable option
    After confirming that you have disabled the app, reboot your Mi Box

bazzz wrote: »
    Try the following,sourced from another site.I don't have the box myself.

That worked 100%, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Where is the best site to buy one of the sets boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

sioda wrote: »

Millions of shops on AliExpress or try gearbest, geekbuying, banggood, Jabong or maybe even Amazon or Xiaomi shop in Madrid.

sioda wrote: »

I bought from these guys and couldn't be happier. Quick delivery, no customs etc to worry about - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-4K-Google-Android-6-0-TV-BOX-HDR-International-Ver-Voice-Remote/122355472779?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I brought a mi box on holidays to use in the hotel. Captive portals are actively blocked on android TV, so you can't get to the login screen for the hotel WiFi.

I tethered to my phone and installed es file explorer so that I could send a browser apk file to the mi box using the Sender function in es file explorer.

I had to go to BBC.com (http only website) on the mi box and then disconnect the WiFi from my phone. Connect to hotel WiFi and refresh the page.

Very convoluted process, but could be aided greatly by side loading the browser at home in advance.

I brought a mi box on holidays to use in the hotel. Captive portals are actively blocked on android TV, so you can't get to the login screen for the hotel WiFi.

I tethered to my phone and installed es file explorer so that I could send a browser apk file to the mi box using the Sender function in es file explorer.

I had to go to BBC.com (http only website) on the mi box and then disconnect the WiFi from my phone. Connect to hotel WiFi and refresh the page.

Very convoluted process, but could be aided greatly by side loading the browser at home in advance.

Two questions:-

1. Why didn't you just stream some content on your phone/tablet or laptop?

2. Where were you that was so boring you went to all that trouble to watch TV in your hotel room???

Has anyone been able to download Amazon Prime Video from the Play Store or does it have to be side loaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Has anyone been able to download Amazon Prime Video from the Play Store or does it have to be side loaded?
    Even on phones Amazon Apps need to be sideloaded? That's how I remember Amazon Appstore working anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

So recently got one of these anyone point me I the direction of a good android box for eejits guide

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

I'm trying to download ES File Explorer on an Mi Box. It's OK until I get a horizontal 'Agree and Continue' screen - and then it gives a T&C's screen and won't allow any keyboard entries. Any ideas? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Logo wrote: »
    I'm trying to download ES File Explorer on an Mi Box. It's OK until I get a horizontal 'Agree and Continue' screen - and then it gives a T&C's screen and won't allow any keyboard entries. Any ideas? TIA

Had same issue, attach a mouse to the usb port and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I find this app to be the easiest file explorer for Android TV. It mightn't have as many features as ES, Solid explorer etc., but it can do the most common things and you don't need a mouse as it's easy to use with remote control.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepakpk.tvexplorer

It can't be found via the regular mobile phone/tablet Play Store, only on the TV version of the Play Store, but you can view it on a desktop/laptop web browser via the link above and send it to your MiBox from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Advertisement