Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started with Mi Box

Options
  • 09-12-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Mi Box arrived during the week and I've connected it to my (Philips) TV using the HDMI cable supplied - but I'm just getting a blue screen - regardless of whether I connect it to the HDMI 1 or 2 ports on the TV. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can you try it on another TV or even a PC monitor if it has a HDMI connection? Make sure connection is secure on device.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the quick reply - I've tried to connect to other screens but they don't seem to have HDMI ports. I'm about to be disconnected from SKY and honestly appreciate the feedback. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

I sometimes get a blue screen ND just remove the power supply from the box and plug it back in and it restarts as normal

Carroller wrote: »
    I sometimes get a blue screen ND just remove the power supply from the box and plug it back in and it restarts as normal
    I've tried that too but no joy. The broadband is from a new supplier and the Mi box is new so maybe I just need to play around with it. Thanks anyway

Hi. I've been able to connect to the Mi Box and download Kodi. I'm a total newbie and wondering how I can watch soarview and FTA channels on the Mi Box. My SKY subscription ends on 21st Dec and I really don't want to have to play around with ariels and SAT boxes so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Logo wrote: »
    Hi. I've been able to connect to the Mi Box and download Kodi. I'm a total newbie and wondering how I can watch soarview and FTA channels on the Mi Box. My SKY subscription ends on 21st Dec and I really don't want to have to play around with ariels and SAT boxes so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The way to do that with an Android box is through piracy which cannot be discussed here.

The way to do that with an Android box is through piracy which cannot be discussed here.
    I didn't mean to breach any rules and thanks for the info.

I'm almost afraid to ask but what's the best way to listen to internet radio? Through the laptop or can I buy some kind of transistor for internet on the radio? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Logo wrote: »
    I'm almost afraid to ask but what's the best way to listen to internet radio? Through the laptop or can I buy some kind of transistor for internet on the radio? Thanks

If you have an Android phone, or indeed, box, theres an app called tunein available from the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Like logo - I had a mi box arrive during the week, yesterday in fact. Seems to be working fine but is entirely in Chinese, is there a handy way to change the interface language?
    My Chinese is not as fluent as it could be:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Like logo - I had a mi box arrive during the week, yesterday in fact. Seems to be working fine but is entirely in Chinese, is there a handy way to change the interface language?

Sounds you bought the Chinese version.
    Send it back as it will be pretty useless for your needs in Ireland.
    Not using Android TV, no DRM built in so no Chromecsst, Netflix or YouTube in 4K

Great!

Post link from where you bought it?

Official one is MDZ 16 AB

Ah I wasn't scammed or anything like that, I actually bought it from China.
    I just bought it on impulse and it actually never occurred to me that it might not have an English language setting! Stupid I know.

Lesson to be learned - think before you click buy!:o:(

Would anyone have a recommendation for one that's a bit more useful so?

ongarite wrote: »
    Post link from where you bought it?

Official one is MDZ 16 AB

The one I have is MDZ 16 AA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Would anyone have a recommendation for one that's a bit more useful so?

The Non Chinese version of the Mi Box :pac: - honestly I have it and its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Try freaktab, not sure if it was that forum I read instructions for installing an English, here's some to look at.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=chinese+mi+box+to+english&oq=chinese+mi+box+to+english&aqs=chrome..69i57.26037j0j7&client=ms-android-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Korvanica wrote: »
    The Non Chinese version of the Mi Box :pac: - honestly I have it and its brilliant.

Rub it in why don't you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »

A lot of work for nothing IMO. It'll have ATV interface in English but no license keys or DRM management.
    It'll still be non-functional for the Netflix HD, YT and Chromecast.

Internal HW is different, less RAM, etc..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/5ywz2n/differences_between_mibox_mdz16aa_mdz16ab/

I presume sbsquarepants paid a cheap price for his Mi Box, the official ATV one is rarely less than €60-€70 delivered to Ireland

ongarite wrote: »
    I presume sbsquarepants paid a cheap price for his Mi Box, the official ATV one is rarely less than €60-€70 delivered to Ireland

I personally think it was quite expensive...... for a paperweight!

I'll try the switch to English and see if it's any use for anything, might stick it in a bedroom or something like that. In the meantime I've ordered the correct MDZ 16 AB version.

There's just no accounting for stupidity!:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Can someone tell me why they think the mi box is good.it has only one usb and no ethernet connection.from the computer screen it doesn't look great to me.

Can someone tell me why they think the mi box is good.it has only one usb and no ethernet connection.from the computer screen it doesn't look great to me.

It runs official Android TV, not a hacked version of touchscreen android like most Chinese boxes. It's supported by the manufacturer through updates and through this support and compliance by the manufacturer even has Netflix and YouTube in 4K. You can easily and Ethernet and more usb ports.

UGREEN USB Ethernet Hub, 3 Port USB 3.0 Hub and USB3.0 to RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Lan Wired Network Adapter for Nintendo Switch,Macbook,Surface Pro,Support Windows10,Mac Os 10.6 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZsomAb54D110K

It runs official Android TV, not a hacked version of touchscreen android like most Chinese boxes. It's supported by the manufacturer through updates and through this support and compliance by the manufacturer even has Netflix and YouTube in 4K. You can easily and Ethernet and more usb ports.

UGREEN USB Ethernet Hub, 3 Port USB 3.0 Hub and USB3.0 to RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Lan Wired Network Adapter for Nintendo Switch,Macbook,Surface Pro,Support Windows10,Mac Os 10.6 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZsomAb54D110K

Ok fair enough.but i don't see the point in buying a box that you have to buy extra things to make it work better.
    The minix gets great reviews and has 3 usb ports ethernet supported by the manufacturer. 4k etc etc and it works flawlessly from what i can see.all in the box ready to go when you buy it.
    Its more expensive i might add.

Ok fair enough.but i don't see the point in buying a box that you have to buy extra things to make it work better.
    The minix gets great reviews and has 3 usb ports ethernet supported by the manufacturer. 4k etc etc and it works flawlessly from what i can see.all in the box ready to go when you buy it.
    Its more expensive i might add.

You sure about the 4K YouTube and 4K Netflix, I've read otherwise about the minix

You sure about the 4K YouTube and 4K Netflix, I've read otherwise about the minix

Im not sure.but im sure it plays 4k movies flawlessly from a usb drive.

Im not sure.but im sure it plays 4k movies flawlessly from a usb drive.

Yes of course it does, the YouTube and Netflix 4k is a codec issue, that the minix isn't compliant to the Google and Netflix standards so they don't allow 4K on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Ah I wasn't scammed or anything like that, I actually bought it from China.
    I just bought it on impulse and it actually never occurred to me that it might not have an English language setting! Stupid I know.

Lesson to be learned - think before you click buy!:o:(

It should have multi language settings ,I have one that came in Chinese as default but going in to settings(cog wheel pic) and then as its in Chinese i clicked on the pic of the globe and scrolled to english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Use Google translate on your phone ,point camera at the screen and you will get real time translation on screen of phone.
    Hope it helps.

Advertisement