Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have we got?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I'm gonna say...

4 years

or maybe 11 years...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Yeah pretty sick of the superhero films, saw a couple of them at the start, and now its just an eye-roller when the next one is blasted across media. Every one of them getting made, essentially, means that another NOT superhero film is not being made. Just from the Hollywood point of view.

By contrast, I really love superhero movies because they're formulaic. You know what to expect, and it's sort of comfort food for the eyes/soul. Some people want to be challenged by the media they consume, others just want to be comforted and entertained. Both positions are valid.

As for one film being made being the reason another isn't... The majority of people who like the challenging movies wouldn't be happy with Hollywood versions anyway since studio interference would substantially change the character, tone, and scope of them. They'd be nothing like the original vision because they'd have to be sanded down to appeal to a mass audience, just like the superhero movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

But you don't know the result of a football match, and its live too. (unless we're playing!)

But how often have you seen a film and guessed every twist in a few minutes? Ah, just jaded with the predictability.

But the criticism there has to lie at the feet of the movie industry.

Because I've seen countless fantastic TV series in recent years.
    Shows like Breaking Bad, Ozark, Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, Rectify, Peaky Blinders, I could list 60 or 70 brilliant series without much thought.
    It has been a brilliant era for TV series.

I couldnt name many recent Hollywood movies I enjoyed though.

But that doesnt equate to a lack of ideas or creation.

Just means Hollywood needs a kick up the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

DivingDuck wrote: »
    By contrast, I really love superhero movies because they're formulaic. You know what to expect, and it's sort of comfort food for the eyes/soul. Some people want to be challenged by the media they consume, others just want to be comforted and entertained. Both positions are valid.

As for one film being made being the reason another isn't... The majority of people who like the challenging movies wouldn't be happy with Hollywood versions anyway since studio interference would substantially change the character, tone, and scope of them. They'd be nothing like the original vision because they'd have to be sanded down to appeal to a mass audience, just like the superhero movies.

Hold your horses there now! There are challenging films, and then there are multiple, multiple copies of the exact same thing.

Theres a happy medium in-between there somewhere. I don't understand how a person can get excited to see spiderman pop up in a Hulk movie wearing a captain America t-shirt while quoting Thor from another cross-over film.

"Did you see that?!!!!! OMG!!! What an easter egg that only us fans could understand!!! Hope the new superhero film next week is even more self-referential, I want the main character to literally lean out of the screen and wink at me as he delivers his lines!!!"

It is stupid, I dont approve and therefore you are a bad person.

We've been recycling the same stories for years OP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

Thanks for that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Hold your horses there now! There are challenging films, and then there are multiple, multiple copies of the exact same thing.

Theres a happy medium in-between there somewhere. I don't understand how a person can get excited to see spiderman pop up in a Hulk movie wearing a captain America t-shirt while quoting Thor from another cross-over film.

I love that kind of stuff, so I guess we'll just have to disagree there.

The ongoing success of these multiple copies does indicate that the public en masse are happy to consume them, though, otherwise they'd flop and the studio would quit making them. Hollywood is only giving people what they enjoy— anything mass marketed (which a costly film must be, to recoup the investment) has to appeal to a broad swathe of people, which means aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Hollywood won't change as long as most people have average tastes— which they always will, by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I love that kind of stuff, so I guess we'll just have to disagree there.

The ongoing success of these multiple copies does indicate that the public en masse are happy to consume them, though, otherwise they'd flop and the studio would quit making them. Hollywood is only giving people what they enjoy— anything mass marketed (which a costly film must be, to recoup the investment) has to appeal to a broad swathe of people, which means aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Hollywood won't change as long as most people have average tastes— which they always will, by definition.

Well I'll agree with you there! Averages are just that, averages. And the world is thick as sh&te :P

Maybe I should have rephrased the question "how long have we got as an intelligent species"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

.....until we run out of ideas for films and books? Like, 100% run out!

A lot of films can be remade given enough time, get a fresh audience etc, but how many times can that be done even?

Only a matter of time until harry potter gets remade (with some godforsaken "twist" like "Harriet Potter"......and again, and again. But there has to come a point, logically, where everyone just throws there hands up and admits its all been done.

Kind of strange to imagine it, but we're just about at the tipping point I'd say.

What do you think?

NOTE: The last Jedi better not be a remake of empire strikes back (and theres apparently another trilogy of star wars already given the go-ahead, yeesh!)

I read somewhere that there are only 36 specific plots, everything is pretty much a variation of copy of one of them.

Also depends on who you are: James Cameron seems to have run of ideas some time round about 2006.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You'll never run out of ideas.
    Take The Matrix... it took so much from japanese animes (ghost in the shell etc) and in turn Inception got inspired from the Matrix. Now we're just waiting on the new thing that got inspired by Inception :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

We just need a new Hitler and we have decades of war movies.... sorted!

Kim might be the man for that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think this is actually interesting. Over a thousand views but less than 10 actual votes in the poll

So, if you put a poll up with stupid options, only 1% of people will vote.

Kinda explains why democracy is so screwed. Terrible candidates put forward by corrupt political parties that offer no real choice = low voter turnout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

.....until we run out of ideas for films and books? Like, 100% run out!

A lot of films can be remade given enough time, get a fresh audience etc, but how many times can that be done even?

Only a matter of time until harry potter gets remade (with some godforsaken "twist" like "Harriet Potter"......and again, and again. But there has to come a point, logically, where everyone just throws there hands up and admits its all been done.

Kind of strange to imagine it, but we're just about at the tipping point I'd say.

What do you think?

NOTE: The last Jedi better not be a remake of empire strikes back (and theres apparently another trilogy of star wars already given the go-ahead, yeesh!)

We'll never run out of ideas, sure you could make a film about killer toothpaste or something like a hyper intelligent cardboard conspiracy or whatever. :)

I agree with other posters that its now the era of the TV series, think of The Handmaids Tale and I am downloading one just now that was recommended by my lecturer, Black Mirror.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We'll never run out of ideas, sure you could make a film about killer toothpaste or something

close enough - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/
    it even had a sequel http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095989/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ideas get rehashed and reused all the time.

Ask any successful artist, author, musician, film maker etc to name their influences.

Advertisement