Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! On a plane with double-engine failure...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

How about British?

This Crew lost all 4 engines on a 747 and managed to get down safely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Also with a PA like this from the captain they’re be no panic!

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress“

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Candamir wrote: »
    How about British?

This Crew lost all 4 engines on a 747 and managed to get down safely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Also with a PA like this from the captain they’re be no panic!

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress“

The old British spirit.

Stay Calm and Restart the Engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what nationality is MacGyver

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm on a plane with 4 engines so it's fine...
    Old Air Traffic Control story.

A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running “a bit peaked.” Air Traffic Control told the fighter pilot that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down. “Ah,” the fighter pilot remarked, “The dreaded seven-engine approach.”

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do turkeys fly, I suppose they have wings... Turkish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who else but Quagmire, giggity giggity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Stay Calm and Restart the Engines.

Happened to a mate of mine some years ago. Engine one started to wind down, so cool as cucumber tells me procedure is look at manual. Then engine two started to wind down. Reckons he hit ice or something. Manual said ease off on power but he put them on full power, some shuddering and everything went back to normal. Squeaky bum time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Malaysian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jetsonx wrote: »
    Imagine you’re on a plane over the Atlantic. It’s just had double engine failure. The aircraft needs to make it to an airport ASAP or a solution to restart the engines has to be found. Your life now depends on the skill and outside-the-box thinking of the crew. What nationality flight crew would you trust most to improvise a solution and ultimately save your life?

(please note: the airline crew cannot be Irish…)

I only ever fly in my Lancaster myself ( it has 4 engines)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Madagascan Penguins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The American pilot Chelsey "Sully" Sullenburger. He landed a full passenger plane in the Hudson River after engine failure back in 09 without a single loss of life.

Whichever country has the most ex-military pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna spend almost 17 hours traversing the world tonight in a twin engined Boeing 777, now you are going to have me worried if the pilots will be able to restart the engines or will I have to wake up and do it myself!

The American pilot Chelsey "Sully" Sullenburger. He landed a full passenger plane in the Hudson River after engine failure back in 09 without a single loss of life.

And still got put through hell by the insurance and airline people who insisted he could have made it airside if he'd tried harder.

Whichever country has the most ex-military pilots.
    You obviously haven't flown with that many ex-military pilots!

I fly on the reg with an ex US Naval pilot. He must be the exception!

This is what happens when one quits, BA from Phoenix a few days ago. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The chairman of Rolls Royce aero engine was asked once why he always flew in 4 engines planes over the Atlantic ,
    His reply was ,

"Because there are No 5 engined ones "

@candie... there are always exceptions :) I was flying with an "ex-fighter" pilot recently and i had to teach him how to divide FL by 3 to get distance for TOD. I gave up trying to teach him how to calculate the descent profile for a DME ARC.

Am I the only one who automatically just thinks opportune time to join the mile high club.

I was going to vote Polish for that very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim :pac:

Some planes better than others. The U2 Spyplane has a ridiculous glide range, and starting from very high up helps.

Any of the better amphibians are good for a water landing, but not so sure I'd like to ditch in the North Atlantic in winter.

Advertisement