Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! On a plane with double-engine failure...

Options
  • 08-12-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Imagine you’re on a plane over the Atlantic. It’s just had double engine failure. The aircraft needs to make it to an airport ASAP or a solution to restart the engines has to be found. Your life now depends on the skill and outside-the-box thinking of the crew. What nationality flight crew would you trust most to improvise a solution and ultimately save your life?

(please note: the airline crew cannot be Irish…)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Russians probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pelvis wrote: »
    Irish.

Same here , Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This actually happened before. I believe it was a Swiss airline and crew,

They managed to glide hundreds of miles and land in the Azores.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Atlantians

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I'm on a plane with 4 engines so it's fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Craggy islanders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You have used two inches of sticky tape, god bless you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

North Korean

This actually happened before. I believe it was a Swiss airline and crew,

They managed to glide hundreds of miles and land in the Azores.

Sorry not Swiss, Canadian and Dutch pilots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

German ,
    but not Andreas Lubitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Finns

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We'll be all dead soon so I'll go for English.

Smiley face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The captain had a colourful history, experienced in small aircraft and gliders as well as a conviction for smuggling marijuana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I was on a dual engine plane which lost one engine a few years ago. We were lucky the other one held out or we would have been stuck up there all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If we have jump leads Americans if not it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

You have to tell us more.. we want the full story! What was it like onboard during the decent? What did it feel like? How did fellow passengers behave etc?

It says in the report it was a hard landing... in reality what is that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The captain had a colourful history, experienced in small aircraft and gliders as well as a conviction for smuggling marijuana.

I guess that's how he managed to keep the plane high enough until they could come down safely somewhere. ;-)

Tazio wrote: »
    You have to tell us more.. we want the full story! What was it like onboard during the decent? What did it feel like? How did fellow passengers behave etc?

It says in the report it was a hard landing... in reality what is that like?

Thank god I wasn't on it, I would have had a stroke. :pac:

I watched a prog about it years ago. Think it was part of that Air crash investigation series.

I remember to complicate matters further there was a sheer cliff drop at the end of the runway in the Azores. They had to come down very hard from a steep angle to burst the plane's tyres to help slow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This reminded me of the film Executive Decision, made around the time Steven Segal was at the height of his fame, and I thought "excellent, this is bound to be good with Steven Segal in it"...

Segal is only in the film for five minutes before he kills himself off -

The Pentagon authorizes a mid-air transfer of an Army special operations team onto the hijacked airliner using an experimental version of the F-117 stealth aircraft. Grant and DARPA engineer Dennis Cahill accompany the team.
    The boarding is only partially successful. When a commando, "Cappy," is seriously injured with a broken neck, Grant boards to assist Cappy. The Oceanic Airlines 747 pulls up, though, putting too much stress on the boarding sleeve. Unable to board, Travis sacrifices himself when he closes the 747's hatch.

Unsurprisingly -

Steven Seagal earned a Razzie Award nomination for Worst Supporting Actor for his performance in the film but lost to Marlon Brando for The Island of Dr. Moreau.

I'll go with Israeli fighter pilots then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Polish - worked with a few and they were fairly resourceful at fixing ,repairing servicing stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Click bait title

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

enricoh wrote: »
    Polish - worked with a few and they were fairly resourceful at fixing ,repairing servicing stuff.

Fcuk no, didn't they wipe out their entire government a few years back in a plane crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

this actually happened and the captain announced they were going to plunge into the sea . A beautiful blonde lady jumped from her seat , ripped all her clothes off and asked was there anybody man enough to make her feel like a women once more before she died , paddy jumped from his seat and ripped his shirt off , the lady in question was delighted until paddy threw the shirt at her saying '' here can ya iron this ''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thank god I wasn't on it, I would have had a stroke. :pac:

I watched a prog about it years ago. Think it was part of that Air crash investigation series.

I remember to complicate matters further there was a sheer cliff drop at the end of the runway in the Azores. They had to come down very hard from a steep angle to burst the plane's tyres to help slow it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2H6eXJrcAY

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Muslim with an ISIS background, I wouldn't have time to think long about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Am I the only one who automatically just thinks opportune time to join the mile high club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

mikeymouse wrote: »
    German ,
    but not Andreas Lubitz

I'm pretty sure he's unavailable...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

jetsonx wrote: »

(please note: the airline crew cannot be Irish…)

Bye bye plane.

Advertisement