Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get checked for sexually transmitted infections?

Options
  • 07-12-2017 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I was having this discussion with a few people recently, and I couldn't believe the amount of men and women who proudly admitted they have never had an STI check.

Personally, I get a full checkup every year when I see my doctor. And that includes a full STI check.

I know some people might be embarrassed about saying it to their doctor, but there are organisations like the Irish Family Planning Association that allow for discreet home screening services too:

https://www.ifpa.ie/Sexual-Health-Services/STI-Services/Home-STI-Testing

Am I just being an overly careful hypochondriac, or it is part of being a sexually responsible adult?

EDIT: Added a poll, which for obvious reasons will be anonymous.

Do you get regular checks for sexually transmitted infections? 128 votes

Yes, I get screened once a year or more
    0% 0 votes
    I only get them after engaging in risky behaviour
    15% 20 votes
    I have never had an STI check, but plan on getting one
    17% 22 votes
    I have never had an STI check, and probably never will
    8% 11 votes
    I get them after every sexual partner
    50% 64 votes
    I'm already riddled so what's the point
    8% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Thinly veiled I'm getting layed post. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Unless hangnails are transmissable its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't bother anymore, as most of the STDs I've picked up over the years - you can only be infected by once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I don't bother anymore, as most of the STDs I've picked up over the years - you can only be infected by once.

Do you have Aids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I've gone for a check twice. I think it's important to do every once in a while if you have multiple sexual partners, protection or not, just to be on the safe side. Also because giving oral can also transmit infections even if you're using condoms for penetration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I already have something and it can't be cured or fixed, so I wouldn't be having sex or bothering to get checked either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I wait til me mickey turns green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Klonker wrote: »
    I wait til me mickey turns green.

You'll be walking around with your balls in a sling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No option for 'wish I had a reason to'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yes I get checked every year the same time I get a smear test and various other bloods/tests done. Just get everything done together as a "well woman" package at the gp. Been in a relationship for 5 years but sure you never know :pac:

Don't see why not. But yes, the amount of people that don't get it done is mad. The amount of women I know that have never got a smear test done is also mad. I don't see the big deal with getting these things done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Pac1Man wrote: »
    No option for 'wish I had a reason to'?

I'll give you a reason to :D

.......wait, that sounds rapey and also like I have crabs :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll give you a reason to :D

.......wait, that sounds rapey and also like I have crabs :p

Don't be side stepping around this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I don't understand why people don't get checked.

Clinics are free and anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Clinics are free and anonymous.

Not sure if this is current but:

A swap and a jab up the japs eye are a bit different. This is one where males lose out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

ED E wrote:
    A swap and a jab up the japs eye are a bit different. This is one where males lose out big time.

If you had to choose between Syphilis and a 10 second jab what would you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I do and always have after each partner.
    I even kept all my 'all clear' letters too just in case some pr!ck ever tried to accuse me of anything:D

I don't particularly like getting them done, but they are not as bad as they used too. I can't remember the last time I got one but I think the swab they use is different.
    I go to the well woman for all that kind of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Always when I start dating someone new. Don't understand how people don't. I've actually heard people say things like "I always use condoms so there's no need" - there's a shocking ignorance around STDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

As a woman who's been married three times (still in the third marriage), I have lost all shame at asking to be tested. It's part of my routine yearly physical. If I didn't trust my husband I'd do it more often than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I always insist on a test before I sleep with someone!

The girlfriend is getting a bit pissed of with it now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

and I couldn't believe the amount of men and women who proudly admitted they have never had an STI check

How many do you ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because I've been with the same woman since I was 17?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I ticked never been tested - I've been in a relationship with the same person since I was 17 and we've only ever had sexual contact with each other.

Technically I have been tested for certain STIs because it's part of the routine checks they do during pregnancy (not sure if they also check for infections during smear tests) but I've never visited a doctor to be specifically tested for an STI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Theres a big increase in stis in recent years across the State including HIV notifications.

Its really a no brainer to get tested once a year if sexually active. A lot of the infections are asymptomatic particularly for women.

And whether people in a monogamous relationship believe their partner would never cheat or have sex with a prostitute for example is a matter for them to believe but its never always so in all relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've had a few done back in the more prolific part of late teens/early 20s. I've been with MrsTeal nearly 12 years now so no need.

But hang on, what's this about an annual check up with the GP? What can be checked? Seems a bit pointless unless you've got an issue

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

theteal wrote: »
    I've had a few done back in the more prolific part of late teens/early 20s. I've been with MrsTeal nearly 12 years now so no need.

But hang on, what's this about an annual check up with the GP? What can be checked? Seems a bit pointless unless you've got an issue

They'll usually check weight, blood pressure, any moles you have etc and do bloods. I'd have said it's pointless when I was in my early 20s but I do it every year now just in case. My dad's being treated for prostate cancer at the minute that was caught by complete fluke in a blood test. He had no symptoms at all so if the GP hadn't included a blood test in the annual check up it wouldn't have been caught as early as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I actually had my vitamin B12 tested as part of my “well woman” exam in February and it turned out to be very low. Wouldn’t have even thought to have got it done otherwise. Probably have to get B12 shots now for the rest of my life but was good to find out as could have been dangerous otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Do you have Aids?

Yes.

One is for walking, one for hearing.

I tend to get checked twice a year (or after a particular wacky experience). I always figured it was the adult approach if you're a bachelor or dating. Never been diagnosed with anything from the checks but I really don't like the idea of passing something on to another person. I've had friends who have laughed off passing on an STD but I think it's a horrible mentality.

I started going out with my now wife in 1991, so have no new fancy diseases. Maybe I should get checked for the old Victorian era ones, any tests for lurgy or consumption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I started going out with my now wife in 1991, so have no new fancy diseases. Maybe I should get checked for the old Victorian era ones, any tests for lurgy or consumption?

Probably check for slow arsenic poisoning too.

Advertisement