Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 gig of the year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

Eddie Vedder, 3 Arena
    Bob Dylan, 3 Arena
    The National, Vicar Street
    Ryan Adams, Ulster Hall
    Future Islands, Iveagh Gardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Guns N Roses Slane - Epic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

1: Eddie Vedder - 3 Arena
    2: The National - Vicar Street
    3: LCD Soundsytem - Olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tried to make a - a-hem - concerted effort to go to more gigs this year. Not living in Dublin means the options locally can be fairly limited, but I still managed to make it to twenty or so this year. Ones that stick out:

Deftones, Vicar Street: Great setlist, great atmosphere in the crowd. Felt properly exhilarated coming out of it, which is what you want after every gig of that type.

Melt Banana, Roisin Dubh, Galway: Just for the sheer sonic force of it - without a doubt the loudest gig I was ever at. The sound of the guitar bypassed your ears completely and went into the deepest part of your skull; I was sem-deaf for three to four days afterwards. Completely worth it.

St. Vincent, The Olympia: Wasn't blown away by some of it at the time, but - in retrospect - I'm glad I was there to see what she was attempting to do, particularly in the second half of the show. A unique experience.

Arnocorps. The Loft, Galway: San Francisco based hardcore punk band whose entire output is based on the films of Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's as ridiculous as it sounds and just as much fun. This was the best craic I had at a gig all year, hands down - and probably top five of all time. Everything just worked perfectly: the band didn't take the stage until about midnight and by then people were extremely hyped and it was just ludicrous transcendent bedlam for ninety minutes once they did arrive.

Biggest let down was Aphex Twin at Forbidden Fruit. I was expecting big things, but left feeling very underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

1. LCD - Olympia
    2. Kasabian - Olympia
    3. Jagwar Ma - Ep
    4. Coldplay - Croker
    5. London grammar - Olympia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

1. Aphex Twin - Forbidden Fruit
    2. Bonobo - Body & Soul festival
    3. AIR - Beatyard Festival
    4. Bill Bailey - Electric Picnic
    5. Duran Duran - Electric Picnic
    6. Tinfoil - Fuinneamh Festival
    7. Lee Scratch Perry - Roisin Dubh, Galway

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Nice to see couple of refs to Isbell’s show on here. A gig that got zilch chat on boards otherwise.

Good year for the Olympia. Couldve had a top 5 from there alone. Run the Jewels/Ryan Adams/Elbow/Isbell and two of the three LCDSS gigs.

Three fest shows that stand out: Radiohead and Ryley Walker at Glasters.

Duran Duran at the Pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Yorkston, thorne Kahn in Galway.
    Support not Seamus Fogarty wasn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Showing my age with Jackson Browne at Vicar St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Wooderson wrote: »
    Nice to see couple of refs to Isbell’s show on here. A gig that got zilch chat on boards otherwise.

Another thing worth mentioning about that show was the pin drop quiet audience during Tift Merritt's set. I've never witnessed an audience be so respectful to a support act. I think even she was stunned at the courtesy and reception she got. I know she has a profile of her own, but even so. A great example of an audience who were there for music above all else. A truly remarkable evening.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

Eddie vedder at the 3 arena. Like someone else said, best concert of my life. Almost like a religious experience!! I'm still thinking about it. Roll on the PJ tour next year.

Another thing worth mentioning about that show was the pin drop quiet audience during Tift Merritt's set. I've never witnessed an audience be so respectful to a support act. I think even she was stunned at the courtesy and reception she got. I know she has a profile of her own, but even so. A great example of an audience who were there for music above all else. A truly remarkable evening.

Yep. She was touched by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Radiohead at Glastonbury in my number 1. I go to feck all gigs compared to some of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

1. LCD in Olympia, so loud my trousers were vibrating and was sent home sweatin, hard to bate.
    2. Mix of acts at picnic, esp Young Fathers (not my type of music but holy god they were great), Duran (cheddar has never been this flavoursome of fun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Worst gig of the year? That daft American bird who opened for Jools Holland in the 3 Arena in October. Can anyone remember her name?

Turnipman wrote: »
    Worst gig of the year? That daft American bird who opened for Jools Holland in the 3 Arena in October. Can anyone remember her name?

You had me a Jools Holland. What a **** sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Turnipman wrote: »
    Worst gig of the year?

Kamasi Washington in the National Concert Hall. This should have been a real gem, but it was marred by appalling sound. They had two kits on stage and it was the worst drum sound I've ever witnessed, including outdoor shows.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Wooderson wrote: »
    You had me a Jools Holland. What a **** sandwich.

:-)

I was there only because I had free tickets plus a lift each way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Definitely St Vincent at the Olympia in October. Still thinking about it.

Aerosmith also played a blinder at the 3Arena in June.

Edit: And Black Sabbath in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

U2 - Croke Park
    The National - Vicar St
    Depeche Mode - 3Arena
    Fangclub - Electric Picnic
    Elbow - Glastonbury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

5 Indoor

1.Deftones - Vicar St - Both shows over 40 songs,3 remained the same...savage; a band that always avoided me one way or another not this time well worth the wait.
    2. Aerosmith - 3 Arena - Everything I've heard all true top of their game at their age , great night
    3. Paramore - RAH - Went to explore venue on a stop over in London not being a massive fan...am now cracking live band
    4. Alter Bridge - Olympia/RAH - Really something else in the smaller venues, first show was special in Dublin as it was their debut here, London show was with an orchestra,unpredictable setlist and filmed for future release :)
    5.Depeche Mode - 3arena - Always deliver,unmissable

Some great stuff had to be left out :o

5 Festival/Outdoor

1.Guns N Roses - Slane - Even though didn't buy into the original members a chance to see them in any form had slipped by, that though clearly added to atmosphere and such spoke to many who'd been in attendance in '92. Didn't buy initially and debated whether to try get them in elsewhere as was sketchy over venue after my previous time there...that would have been silly...was well prepared amazing gig/day out.
    2.Tarja - Graspop - Never graced our shores perhaps never will, amazing to see that voice live.
    3.Emperor - Wacken Open Air - Played Welkins in full, soaked up best here.
    4.Trivium - Wacken Open Air - Defo the best times I've seen them outdoors, Kirisute Gomen in particalar immense
    5.Rob Zombie - Graspop - Although known to be hit or miss think this was my 4th time catching never seen a bad show this was no different...pity that Olympia gig was never rescheduled. :p

Again some great stuff missing the cut...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TenPicnics

1. St Vincent's first night in the Olympia. Have seen her and her band a few times, and didn't think the last tour could be bettered, was even feeling a tiny bit cheated before the gig knowing that she'd be playing "solo"....how wrong I was, it was utterly magnificent on so many levels. Has jumped into my list of lifetime best gigs. And that's quite a long lifetime.

2. Radiohead in the Point. But then again every time I've seen them they've been incredible.

3. Chaka Khan "supporting" Chic in the Point. Her band also gets my award for Grooviest of Groovy Bands.

4. Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters in the Grand Canal. Got transported to ecstatic levels by them at EP a few years ago, this gig was equally good but more nuanced, a lovely handful of Zep tunes and an education in musical genres. He's more than a legend.

5 Depeche Mode in the Point. Managed to miss seeing them all these years so this was a Finally event for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

Aphex Twin at Forbidden Fruit
    U2 at the Superdome
    Bonobo at Vicar St
    LCD at Olympia
    The National at Vicar St
    Wolf Parade at the Button Factory

Think I went to more this year than in the last five years combined but these are the top of the pack

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

1. LCD Soundsystem at Olympia
    2. GNR at Slane
    3. Bonobo at Body & Soul

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For me...

Kraftwerk in BGE theater was the best gig.
    Also really enjoyed Radiohead and Bob Dylan in the 3 Arena and Run the Jewels in the Olympia.

Ryan Adams in the Olympia was number 5.

Other good gigs were Divine Comedy last Friday, Tycho in district 8, Little Dragon, Glen Hansard both in Vicar street and Belle and Sebastian in the Iveagh Gardens.

I was a bit disappointed in the Angel Olsen gig and the U2 gig though I notice a lot of people listing them as their gigs of the year.

Overall I think Kraftwerk was the best gig I saw this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Black Sabbath - 3Arena.
    Deftones - Vicar St.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

First Up wrote: »
    Showing my age with Jackson Browne at Vicar St.

I'm 28 and that's my favourite so it shows nothing about your age! It was magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

A few I enjoyed this year

Trivium - limelight Belfast
    The Jesus and Mary Chain - limelight
    The Stone Roses - SSE Arena Belfast
    Guns N Roses - Olympic stadium London
    Le Galaxie/KKC - Sunflower fest Co Down
    KKC, Madness, Touts - Electric Picnic
    Paul Heaton/ Jackie Abbot - limelight
    Peter Hook and the light - Limelight
    The Killers- sse Belfast
    **** I could be mortgage free if I stopped going to gigs