Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump/US to recognise Jerusalem as Isreal's capital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How about being in breach of international law? Then again that’s not something the American/Israeli terror fanboys worry about.

Well you answered your own question then :confused: Is it a violation of international law to move their embassy there? Why? As far as I recall it's only East Jerusalem that's "up in the air"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Zebra3 wrote: »
    c_man wrote: »
    The whole Palestinian thing is a lost cause. It's so sad but that's the reality.

From Trump's POV, he's keeping a campaign promise, showing support for an ally, shoring the base and keeping himself in the headlines. What's not to like.

How about being in breach of international law? Then again that’s not something the American/Israeli terror fanboys worry about.
    Jews settled in the area 3 thousand years ago. How far back do you want to go? Reality is it is now Israel's and they will do with it what they seem fit.

So you have no issue with colonial terrorists ethnicly cleansing the natives?
    Sure I'm a planter myself, that would be hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

As I said before, if Turkey are telling you something is a bad idea, then its probably an absolutely f*cking mental idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

...__... wrote: »
    Are you mixing up what the Arabs tried to do TO Israel in 1967?
    The Palestinians and Jordanians (who controlled Jerusalem then btw) fully supported Nasser in trying to wipe Israel off the map then,
    Instead of trying for Peace they went for war.

They lost.

no, i'm definitely not mixing up israel's action plan with the 1967 war. israel were involved in ethnic cleansing before 1967 anyway and had a plan to take over the palestinian territories that remained outside the 1948 border.
    there was always going to be a war, however israel were going to instigate it at some stage. it's just the others got there first and as you said lost. however israel were forced to give back some of the territory they stole.
    Jews settled in the area 3 thousand years ago. How far back do you want to go? Reality is it is now Israel's and they will do with it what they seem fit.

only land within the 1948 border is israel's. anything outside that is belonging to the palestinians and other countries.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

he does what he wants, he does what he wants, he grabs them by the pussy, he does what he wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Trump is a dangerous gobshyte.
    Israel is a regional bully and will welcome his action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nothing overly dangerous about this decision. Last time I checked he didn't declare war or threaten them. It's a crazy call alright but it was one of his election promises and we all know that he delivers on them. The only bully I can see today is Hamas, calling for an uprising and claiming that this is a declaration of war.

Berserker wrote: »
    Nothing overly dangerous about this decision. Last time I checked he didn't declare war or threaten them. It's a crazy call alright but it was one of his election promises and we all know that he delivers on them. The only bully I can see today is Hamas, calling for an uprising and claiming that this is a declaration of war.
    The only people in danger are the entire Palestinian population and maybe an odd Israeli settler.
    The bigger bully always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

What do you want them to do, negotiate with a US administration that is renaging on deals all over the place or Israel who break UN resolutions for fun and don't particularly recognise international law, squeezing the Palestinians with illegal land grabs.

ronnie085 wrote: »
    What do you want them to do, negotiate

Well, it's either that or take another hiding from the Israeli forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ronnie085 wrote: »
    What do you want them to do, negotiate with a US administration that is renaging on deals all over the place or Israel who break UN resolutions for fun and don't particularly recognise international law, squeezing the Palestinians with illegal land grabs.

A lot of people don’t view the Palestinians as humans so just don’t care about them or can’t even see them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The whole ulster unionist fetishing on Israel is not reciprocated. Let me tell you.

The whole ulster unionist fetishing on Israel is not reciprocated. Let me tell you.
    I certainly wouldn't be on the street with placards on the issue for either side, I just admire Jewish history. Hope the Jews prosper in Israel for the foreseeable future.

I certainly wouldn't be on the street with placards on the issue for either side, I just admire Jewish history. Hope the Jews prosper in Israel for the foreseeable future.
    Well they'll never face charges for war crimes as long as people like Trump exist.
    Doesn't mean they didn't commit them though.

Well, it's either that or take another hiding from the Israeli forces.

they will be taking another hiding from the israely forces anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

In the light of a near 50 year occupation, thats beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Its an unbelievably stupid decision.

Its as if Trump thought "how else can we fcuk up the Middle East"

This has nothing to do with Trump. Most American politicians couldn't find their arse with both hands and a map, let alone Israel. Recently 4 American soldiers were killed and several wounded in NIGER. Not a single Congressman/woman had a clue where Niger was or even that there are 1000 American troops operating there.

Trump assigned his clueless but minted son-in-law to be his Middle East "expert" FFS!

Whoever is pulling Trump's strings in order to effect this retarded decision is looking for even more American-inspired havoc in the Middle East to boost the profit line.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Some talking head on some talk show at the weekend saying “it’s inly a matter of time til he’s impeached “...based on the Mike Flynn claims about Russian links and the involvement of his son-in-law,saying there’s no way he’ll get away with denying knowledge of the above”...we’d never be that lucky would we??

There is no WAY that Trump will be impeached. He is PERFECT for those that control US foreign and domestic policy.

Look at the tax bill that was put through last weekend. That will strip millions of their retirements and pave the way for guting Social Security and Medicare. The Gazillionaires who control the US government are loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Chrongen wrote: »
    There is no WAY that Trump will be impeached. He is PERFECT for those that control US foreign and domestic policy.

Look at the tax bill that was put through last weekend. That will strip millions of their retirements and pave the way for guting Social Security and Medicare. The Gazillionaires who control the US government are loving it.
    There's an ongoing investigation into him that appears to be making considerable progress, the Democrats are likely to make substantial gains in midterms. That will likely lead to impeachment proceedings so the odds of a successful impeachment are becoming increasingly more likely.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Is pence any better though? Im not sure he is

Ah, that great old bipolar argument...."Let's accept smallpox because leprosy is so much worse"

• Advertisement

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Chrongen wrote: »

There's an ongoing investigation into him that appears to be making considerable progress, the Democrats are likely to make substantial gains in midterms. That will likely lead to impeachment proceedings so the odds of a successful impeachment are becoming increasingly more likely.
    What progress? I haven't seen any progress which will lead to impeachment proceedings. As already said, the people he needs to please are happy with him and that's all Trump is concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It should be noted that the 2 state solution is dead at this point. Trump put the final in the coffin. Also, maybe we can finally stop pretending that the US is an honest broker in this conflict. The US involvement in the "peace process" is one of the reasons it's dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

What progress? I haven't seen any progress which will lead to impeachment proceedings. As already said, the people he needs to please are happy with him and that's all Trump is concerned about.

Considerable amount of communications with Russia that they denied ever happening. 3 people from his campaign, 1 of which was in his administration have been indicted. All our cooperating with the investigation and informing on Trump, they've made deals with Mueller. It looks likely that his son-in-law will also be indicted.

As of today, it has come out that Trump Jnr is claiming attorney client privilege in relation to what he told his father about the meetings with Russia. Flynn also apparently told the Russians that they would tear up the sanctions. This meeting was upon the request of Jared Kushner. For people who had zero contact with Russia, they had a considerable amount of communication at all levels of the administration before they even entered the white house.

They're also going through his finances at the moments. This is just from a few months of investigation. Eg Watergate took two years. All of the above would have been claimed as 'fake news', the investigation was a 'nothing burger' however that does not seem to be the case. Mueller did the Enron investigation, he's the very best and he doesn't seem to believe this is a 'nothing burger'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/world/middleeast/jerusalem-us-embassy-trump.html

In 1995, Congress passed a law declaring Jerusalem to be Israel’s capital and requiring the embassy be moved there by 1999 — or else the State Department building budget would be cut in half. But the law included a provision allowing presidents to waive its requirement for six months if they determined it was in the national interest. So every six months, Mr. Clinton, Mr. Bush and eventually President Obama signed such waivers, fearing a violent response in the Arab world if the embassy moved.

Putting off the decision of Congress for 22 years has not stopped the violence. So implementing it now will not make any difference.

Oh yes it fucking will.

And who gives the US the right to determine what country declares it's capital?

The Americans still refer to Ho Chi Minh City as "Saigon" in a fit of childish pique.

No nation on EARTH recognises Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, but I suppose they don't count, right?

The muppet who sits in the White House hasn't a clue what he is on about but his handler do and they are elated. This is what's happening now:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42265337

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Democrats make a mess of midterms.

they will be taking another hiding from the israely forces anyway.

If they opt for peaceful negotiations they won't. The financial benefits of conflict are too good for Hamas, unfortunately.

In fairness, if it was a campaign promise, the time for outrage was back then. He can hardly be blamed for sticking by a promise made pre election.

Did the Palestinians or YOU for that matter have a decision in whether he or the american administration implemented that "promise"?

So if an idiot campaigns on a variety of pledges, one of which is "I'm going to kill all Nepalese people" and his crew vote him in anyway and then he decides to bomb Kathmandu, are you going to say that THEY should have spoken up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Considerable amount of communications....

all good points but its important to note, the american political system operates in mysterious ways, sensible and lawfully right decisions dont always prevail, particularly when it comes to the well being of the majority.

If they opt for peaceful negotiations they won't. The financial benefits of conflict are too good for Hamas, unfortunately.

nope. even if they opt for peaceful negotiations israel will still continue it's ethnic cleansing program. in fact, peaceful negotiations will give israel carte blanche to step it up. we are dealing with one of the biggist terrorist states, and the most prolific breacher of international law in the world.

• Advertisement

nope. even if they opt for peaceful negotiations israel will still continue it's ethnic cleansing program. in fact, peaceful negotiations will give israel carte blanche to step it up. we are dealing with one of the biggist terrorist states, and the most prolific breacher of international law in the world.

Oh, Israeli bad, Palestinian good. It's that simple, is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement