Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone going somewhere Sunny for Christmas ?

Options
  • 06-12-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Booked myself 10 days away over Christmas in the Canaries, live abroad but to be honest the cost of flights back to Ireland, everything being a rip off and it feeling like Groundhog day I think it's better to just fly back when it's cheaper and see family then.

Anyone else skipping the Christmas Madness and heading away ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

redcup342 wrote: »
    Booked myself 10 days away over Christmas in the Canaries, live abroad but to be honest the cost of flights back to Ireland, everything being a rip off and it feeling like Groundhog day I think it's better to just fly back when it's cheaper and see family then.

Why would anyone go somewhere sunny for Christmas? I mean FFS. I take it you are in Germany by your location. What better place than Germany for Christmas. Get down to the Christmas market and get wankered on gluhwein in the snow. Fill the gaff with grub and booze and just hibernate in front of the tv. Xmas day go to the bierkeller.

Dafuq are you going to do in the Canaries? The place is a boring windswept dump in Summertime. You're going to have a whale of a time in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Will hopefully spend Christmas in Tijuana Mexico, leaving Ireland today so totally escaping Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yes, I'm going to spend Christmas in an isolated cabin in the Harz mountains and contemplate the meaningless of this inane commercial holiday*

*This is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Well, to each their own, but a sunny Christmas doesn't hold any appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Nope. No interest in hot sunny Christmas. A few of the European markets and a skiing trip are more up my street this December.

I'll be here for Christmas week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your Face wrote: »
    Yes, I'm going to spend Christmas in an isolated cabin in the Harz mountains and contemplate the meaningless of this inane commercial holiday

That you, Aengus?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Alan152

I too am off to the canaries for Xmas. Decided to make the most of the holidays and get a week in the sun in before the new year. I work in a job where there is a lot of lunches, drinks, emtertaining etc in December and come the 21st I am usually tired of it. Each to their own but I have two boys and they cant wait for a week in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Yeah. Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

smurfjed wrote: »
    Will hopefully spend Christmas in Tijuana Mexico, leaving Ireland today so totally escaping Christmas.

Have fun and drive safe !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Sunny Stillorgan on the Dublin Riviera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

No,will be down my local watching the horse racing/football and the darts for my 10 days off work.Love Christmas here.But I do have a week booked in Malaga in April,there is a time and place for sun,just not at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Saudi Arabia is Sunni with no Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’m going to the sea and sand on Stephen’s Day.*

*But it’ll be in the wesht of Ireland and sun is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep, I'm going home, to Cork, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Yeah. Carlow.
    He said sunny, not shiťty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'll be in Bogota for Christmas, so no, it probably won't be sunny.

But I will spend New Years in the eastern plains of the country, where it will be absolutely scorching.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Id actualy love to head off sumwhere for a change. Got a feeling it will be a quiet 1, a good few frends are abroad or outa town with their other halves or their kids. Also Im skint so slim pickins regarding presents.
    Was thinking tho of booking sumwhere in the sales in jan, maybe afew days in spain, anywhere cheap but decent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Do you remember those Heinz chocolate sponge puddings that came in a tin? They don't have them in the shops any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yeah, I did a Hitler and headed to South America. Pretty hot here.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I plan on leaving the house at some stage over Christmas and sometimes the sun shines outside so yes I guess I will be going some place sunny for Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I live in Brisbane... I can't avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chrongen wrote: »
    Why would anyone go somewhere sunny for Christmas? I mean FFS. I take it you are in Germany by your location. What better place than Germany for Christmas. Get down to the Christmas market and get wankered on gluhwein in the snow. Fill the gaff with grub and booze and just hibernate in front of the tv. Xmas day go to the bierkeller.

Dafuq are you going to do in the Canaries? The place is a boring windswept dump in Summertime. You're going to have a whale of a time in December.

Bah Humbug...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yep, off to Tenerife. 2 weeks off work, can't bear to spend it here in the cold and damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Philadelphia.

Born and raised?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't see any problem going away to somewhere sunny and warm for Christmas. Not everyone likes the cold and the dark of midwinter. I might just do it myself at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Chrongen wrote: »

For you that's a Novelty, for me after 7 years that'd like "Murmeltiertag"

Freezing your hole off paying 3 euros for a cup of Feuerzangenbowle standing around in the packed Altstadt isn't for me :)

Would much prefer to be doing a bit of snorkeling/surfing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

If I was planning to be away I wouldn't post it in a public forum.

Security basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

blackbox wrote: »
    If I was planning to be away I wouldn't post it in a public forum.

Security basics.

You're a blackbox, easily located!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The sun?? At Christmas?? No I fecking won't.

On Christmas morning I'll head off and try not to crash on icy roads and then spend the rest of the day trying to avoid having arguments with icy people, like most normal Irish people will be doing.

Advertisement